Leo Beer Experiment

phutoie2

I am not having too much success with a little theory that I have (often discussed amongst fellow LEO drinking ex-pats), which is stronger,- LEO in cans or bottles.

I say it always appears stronger in the bottles, my experiment goes along the format of:

Consume 4 cans of LEO, then have 2 big bottles of LEO (equivelent of 4 cans) and you know what, the bottled stuff always seems the stronger.

Tonight I will try it the other way around.

Edited by phutoie2

Actually 4 cans of leo (or chang for that matter) contains more than 2 large bottles

69 views and only one reply, maybe far too may Singha drinkers out here.

You may be correct about the amounts, I may try it as I have a dustbin full of empties.

Still convinced that the bottled stuff is stronger!

We have one of those annual OTOP festivals here in this town once a year, many bars with draught LEO & Chang for a week. Makes a change.

I am not having too much success with a little theory that I have (often discussed amongst fellow LEO drinking ex-pats), which is stronger,- LEO in cans or bottles.

I say it always appears stronger in the bottles, my experiment goes along the format of:

Consume 4 cans of LEO, then have 2 big bottles of LEO (equivelent of 4 cans) and you know what, the bottled stuff always seems the stronger.

Tonight I will try it the other way around.

When you say 'appears stronger' are you talking about the taste or alcholic effect?

If you conduct your experiment exactly as you outline above, that is drinking 4 cans of Leo, followed by 2 big bottles of Leo, the last 2 bottles will naturally seem stronger since it is they that will that will be causing your drunken state!. Reverse the experiment, and the cans will appear stronger for the same reason.

QED

Of course my experiment has no scientific usefulness and I will continue to drink the LEO in can or bottles, its still about the best stuff up here. On trips to Bangkok I like to try some Tiger but thats not available up either.

With the plummeting GBP v Thai Baht, and the Hon GB attacking my pension with his abolishing the 10p tax band, emergency measures are underway.

2 x big bottles of LEO = 90 baht

4 x cans = 100 baht

For the Aussie poster:- did I read sometime ago that Archa had won an award at some beer festival down under!!

My F-in-L, drinks that stuff, I,ve tried, but just awful.

With the plummeting GBP v Thai Baht, and the Hon GB attacking my pension with his abolishing the 10p tax band, emergency measures are underway.

4 x cans = 100 baht

It's not only the Hon (soon to be deposed) GB that's ripping you off - your local Leo supplier is too. Those are "7" prices!

I pay 412bt for a case of 12 large bottles and 465bt for a box of cans*. That works out at 69bt for 2 large bottles and 77.5bt for 4 cans. Now this more than makes up for the loss of the 10% tax band!

*Makro - but your local large beer seller should be able to match these prices, or want just 5bt a case more,

Of course my experiment has no scientific usefulness and I will continue to drink the LEO in can or bottles, its still about the best stuff up here. On trips to Bangkok I like to try some Tiger but thats not available up either.

4 x cans = 100 baht

For the Aussie poster:- did I read sometime ago that Archa had won an award at some beer festival down under!!

2006 International Beer Festival

380 Beer Thai (1991) Public Co Ltd Bronze

Archa Beer

Chang Light also got a bronze

P-Nick, I can match those prices too if I bulk buy at our local booze dealers. Which I always do, for Christmas/new year/birthdays etc.

We are also only 110 kms away now from a new Tesco's in Petchabun city.

The prices I mentioned are what we pay at what goes for our local bar here. Mrs Moons shop at the top of our Soi.

I am a relative upstart there, only 2 years now, one of the regulars, an ex-Brighton (UK) inhabitant has drunk there for 8 years now.

4 x cans = 100 baht

I will probably start an argument here but why would you buy 2 long necks of Leo when you can get 3 long necks of Chang which in my opinion is a much strong tasting beer. Leo tastes to ME like Budweiser as in too watery.

Before you jump down my throat I did say it was my opinion. Each to their own. Still heaps cheaper than buying beer in our home countries.

Chok Dee

I will probably start an argument here but why would you buy 2 long necks of Leo when you can get 3 long necks of Chang which in my opinion is a much strong tasting beer. Leo tastes to ME like Budweiser as in too watery.

Before you jump down my throat I did say it was my opinion. Each to their own. Still heaps cheaper than buying beer in our home countries.

Chok Dee

Are you from the UK? I've noticed a lot of Brits like Chang cause it's stronger tasting. My theory was the Thais had made a stronger beer with higher alcohol as it would taste better and give more bang when mixed with ice. I always thought this was it's recipe for success.

My own opinion is I can't handle Chang unless it's super cold. Singha is another one I find way to strong. I prefer Chang.

Chok Dee

Are you from the UK? I've noticed a lot of Brits like Chang cause it's stronger tasting. My theory was the Thais had made a stronger beer with higher alcohol as it would taste better and give more bang when mixed with ice. I always thought this was it's recipe for success.

My own opinion is I can't handle Chang unless it's super cold. Singha is another one I find way to strong. I prefer Chang.

No mate, I am from Oz. I enjoy the stronger taste of Chang but if unavailable I really like the Singha beer. The funny thing up our way is that most of the restaurants carry mainly Leo although it is more expensive and Ive noticed that most thai diners usually bring their own alcahol, namely whiskey.

The good thing here is that if there is no Chang they are only happy enough to race away and get some for us to ensure that we stay at their restaurant.

When I first started to holiday in Thailand in 2003 I preferred Chang and Singha and was not aware of Leo until visiting an old ex-service buddy in the town that we now both live in (Phu Toei).

Yes on a hot day a Chang and maybe some ice is really refreshing and I still have the odd bottle. Now don't laugh but one of the reasons I gave up the Chang was the piling on the pounds (kg's), I must admit my holidays were a little on the long side as I usually took 2 months off in the British winter and came to Thailand. So you can imagine quite a few Changs were downed.

Now as a long term resident here I tend to drink a lot more moderately and mainly Leo as I do think it has a smoother taste and not as sharp as the Chung.

• 2 years later...

I remember finding my first "Leo" when I took a walk to get away from a lady friend that pissed me off many years ago. All they had at the tin roof saloon was "Leo". I can remember being wary of this "new" beer. What a pleasant introduction and my favorite ever since. It has been fun to watch Leo go from an unknown to a commonplace request. At home in the USA drinking can #6 of 8 that made the trip home - on the rocks of course. Can't really stand any other Thai beer - Chang turns me into a mental patient and I must avoid it at all costs!

This said, four cans without food and I hardly feel a thing. Back to the brown bottles next time.

Cheers to whatever beer you enjoy!

On my first trip to Thailand I drank Chang for a while but it turned my sh!t black so I switched to Singha which I drank for a few years even though I thought it tasted 'chemically' brewed.

A mate put me onto Leo and at first I thought it tasted like Aussie VB (Victorian Bitter) or 'Visitor's Beer' as we call it in South Oz but now it's the only beer I will buy.

A couple of long necks then switch to Maekong and sodaaaaa.

Don'tcha just love it. :drunk:

The major difference in Leo is the brewery in which it was brewed. Bottles come from either the Pathum Thani or Khon Kaen Brewery. The Khon Kaen bottles taste FAR inferior. This can be checked on the label, but it is obviously only written in Thai. As far as I know the cans all come from Pathum Thani.

The more you know.

PS: two weeks without a drink here, sigh.

• 1 month later...

4 x cans = 100 baht

It's not only the Hon (soon to be deposed) GB that's ripping you off - your local Leo supplier is too. Those are "7" prices!

I pay 412bt for a case of 12 large bottles and 465bt for a box of cans*. That works out at 69bt for 2 large bottles and 77.5bt for 4 cans. Now this more than makes up for the loss of the 10% tax band!

*Makro - but your local large beer seller should be able to match these prices, or want just 5bt a case more,

I drink Chang. My local wholesaler is 5- 10 Baht cheaper than Makro Buriram. Not sure if all Makros are the same price.

4 x cans = 100 baht

I drink Chang. My local wholesaler is 5- 10 Baht cheaper than Makro Buriram. Not sure if all Makros are the same price.

All Makros threw out Thailand same price. I too can beat Makros price.