Exercise Machines

john b good

On account of having these extra kilos to carry around I thought that perhaps some exercise might help "to reduce the girth"

Walking is OK and then I got to thinking "what about one of those machines you can exercise on and watch TV (in this case television, not Thai Visa) at the same time"

So off I went to Robinson's and yep they got quite an array on display. Some cheap, some not so.

I tried one where you hang on to the handles and sort of cycle standing up. Having shonky knees I don't think that this is the one for me.

Then I tried a sit down one with peddles in front of you rather than beneath you as in a regular bicycle. It seemed OK but don't know if I would be able to see the tele as the seat was quite low.

Maybe a regular treadmill type might be best.

OK !!, the question is have any of you guys bought one of these contraptions, is so what type, whats the upsides and downsides i.e. do they tend to do your knees in etc.

Any thoughts you might have will be most welcome.

Edited by john b good

John

Have a treadmill and used it 4 or 5 times a week and found it helped keep the weight down. Put on a good movie and walk to the end of it. Did not think much about the treadmill as the movie held my attention. The wife used it to jog on, 90 minutes 4 or 5 times a week and really keep her trim. The treadmill broke down a few months ago and have not been able to find anyone who knows how to fix it.

We have both gained weight since it broke down. Walk the beach but it isn't as demanding physically as the treadmill. Thinking about getting another. The one we had was a Toro and had all the gadgets and automatic height adjustment. It cost $3,000 Ozzie dollars, so a good one is not cheap. Lasted about 5 or 6 years.

Also have a stationary bike but don't think much of it.

Good luck on whichever you choose.

BTDT

I use a combination of 3 cardio-machines:

a treadmill, a recumbent stationary bicycle and an elliptical cross-trainer (like a Precor EFX546, without arm exercisers).

I get the best workout from the elliptical cross-trainer, but, if I had to pick a single machine, I would go with a treadmill. Bicycling is the best for your knees. I can easily watch television while on all 3 machines. I think for the recumbent bike, you would want the TV set up lower. If you have access to a pool, swimming or even just treading water is a good way to lose weight and is easy on the joints.

On account of having these extra kilos to carry around I thought that perhaps some exercise might help "to reduce the girth"

Walking is OK and then I got to thinking "what about one of those machines you can exercise on and watch TV (in this case television, not Thai Visa) at the same time"

So off I went to Robinson's and yep they got quite an array on display. Some cheap, some not so.

I tried one where you hang on to the handles and sort of cycle standing up. Having shonky knees I don't think that this is the one for me.

Then I tried a sit down one with peddles in front of you rather than beneath you as in a regular bicycle. It seemed OK but don't know if I would be able to see the tele as the seat was quite low.

Maybe a regular treadmill type might be best.

OK !!, the question is have any of you guys bought one of these contraptions, is so what type, whats the upsides and downsides i.e. do they tend to do your knees in etc.

Any thoughts you might have will be most welcome.

Put most simply, the more muscle groups you work, the faster you burn off calories (hopefully burning fat and not muscle,) provided your intake of calories doesn't exceed your burn-off. So any exercise that works several muscle groups at the same time is going to be more efficient at removing body fat than an exercise that only works one muscle group at a time. The more you use your core muscle groups, as well as your lower (heavier) muscles, the more calories you will burn.

Fancy machines are nice, and fun to play with, and are excellent for body building. But for reducing body fat, you can achieve a LOT more with plain ol' calisthenics. Jumping Jacks, Stair Climbing (try using real stairs and vary your speed,) Push-Ups, Hanging Leg Raises (with a curled back and bent legs) pulling your knees up to your chest, (this one REALLY burns the fat!) and Chin-ups and Dips. A a few reps of these three times a week and the fat will drip off. These are not fun to do but work. Not nearly as much fun as laying back watching the TV while pedaling, so you really need to analyze your goals. Do you want to be able to 'say' that you are exercising, or do you want to lose body fat? Body building or fat loss? That's really the choice.

One caveat; you really do need to be sure that you aren't taking in more calories than you are burning, and you need to be sure that after your workouts you provide your body with protein to rebuild the muscle tissue damaged during the exercise.

Now I need to go and follow my own advice..... :o

The best selection and good prices is at 'sports world' on the 2nd floor of Kad Suan Keau. I looked all over town and found superstores have limited cheap chineese garbage. I ended up buying an elyptical cycling machine and when I remember to use it, I can feel the benefits and no problem with the knees, low impact!

"Just do it!!!!" is what I tell myself

Treadmill is a big NO NO....... it is high impact and very bad for your joints [fine if your young and fit]

The Hospital said that the best for the older person is a bike/cycling machine as this is low impact

Treadmill is a big NO NO....... it is high impact and very bad for your joints [fine if your young and fit]

The Hospital said that the best for the older person is a bike/cycling machine as this is low impact

Most body weight is resting on the person's butt and the seat of the exercise bicycle.

IMHO an elliptical machine is low impact, but having to hold up one's own body weight while exercising makes it work much better than a bike.

Edited by Ulysses G.

A rower is about the best machine one can have for an all-round, low-impact, non-twisty workout. Unfortunately virtually nowhere in town has them and the places that can get them only offer crap. If you can stretch to around 70k, get yourself a Concept II from Bangers. It'll have your fitness up in no time and will last for donkey's years :D While you can't beat the real thing, using a rower is certainly one-up and more interesting than using a treadmill or exercise bike, and lets face it, it ain't too difficult going for a walk or ride somewhere :o

I bought a good rower, but due to painful arthritis in my wrists (and everywhere else), I can only use it for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. My wrists hurt too much.

I still think that a weight-bareing machine like an elliptical machine is superior, but I wish that I could use both. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hey, john b good, here's an idea. Why don't you join a good gym for a month, try out all their equipment, decide what works for you and then buy that?

That is a thought that has crossed my mind, and one that I might 'activate'

Thanks for the suggestion.

I bought a magnetic rower which was 10k 2ndhand, (30k) new. Love it. Use it almost every day with no pains or side effects. Good all round weight loss and shaping and I NEVER warm up before using it. Wake up, poo, jump on it and play a dvd.

As mentioned above, they're not easy to find or cheap to buy, but I will never be without one now.

Good luck

I bought a magnetic rower which was 10k 2ndhand, (30k) new. Love it. Use it almost every day with no pains or side effects. Good all round weight loss and shaping and I NEVER warm up before using it. Wake up, poo, jump on it and play a dvd.

As mentioned above, they're not easy to find or cheap to buy, but I will never be without one now.

Good luck

What is the brand (manufacturer) ?

I take it from the last line that they are pretty rare in the shops in Chiangmai. ??

Any one have any idea how much Customs at CNX would charge on a piece of equipment that cost 850 US Dollars? As I am thinking of importing one from USA. I have been in touch with Concept2 in the states, I'll let everyone know what the full cost including freight is, just need some idea as to the duty I would need to pay.

My one is a Tunturi (Finnish brand) and I actually bought it here on Thai Visa! Well, from a fellow memeber.

Trust me, you won't regret it. It not only takes almost none of my free time away, I actually get to watch something on tele that I want to. Basically, with a toddler, I rarely get to properly watch a dvd, but with the rower I just get up half an hour ealrlier every day, or like today, do it in the evening.

Treadmill - running is obviously the best for you. However like anything - need to do it everyday and keep on the ball.

The problem is that my knees are a bit shonky after running thousands of kilometres (in an earlier life)

I will be a candidate (if I live long enough) for a couple of knee replacements :o

for an allround low impact workout ,go with the pool its relaxing,refreshing and good excersise,,,,, if you can't swim you can always walk/run in it or use a kickboard as well as water aerobics,,,, l know the cost is a bit more than a machine,,, l built mine for about 40,000 baht (12 meters ,, in which l swim about 2k a day),,,,,,, its pretty basic,, just like a big bath ,,,no filters or pumps as l have a good clean supply of ground water ( l do use chlorine ),,,and vaccum it out every other day,,,for me , it was a great investment,,,, all l have to do now is stop drinnking so much coke and l might start to lose weight :o

goodluck

cheers

egg

Treadmill - running is obviously the best for you. However like anything - need to do it everyday and keep on the ball.

The problem is that my knees are a bit shonky after running thousands of kilometres (in an earlier life)

I will be a candidate (if I live long enough) for a couple of knee replacements :D

My 'handyman/repair person' would be happy to do your knee replacements at a very reasonable rate.

In the past he has assured me that he can repair anything. He always has a hammer, an impact drill, and at least two different sizes of screw drivers... He is saving up for Vice-grips.

A word of warning though... he isn't very fast, but he IS confident. :o

Thanks for the update BTDT, time and effort much appreciated. I'm still waiting to hear what the freight costs will be. I've had a look at the import duty calculations, as found on Thai Visa, and by the govt. calculations it would appear the import duty etc would total some 1423 dollars US, which added onto the top of the 850 would make a grand total of 2273 US, which kind of takes the shine off things. Don't get me wrong, I may have gripped the wrong end of the stick re: import duty/vat etc calculations, if I am doing something wrong then any help would be appreciated. This would make it about the same cost as if buying from the chap in Bangkok, and all this before freight is paid.

A further update to costs of delivery of concept 2 rowing machine.

The factory have got back to me and the various options are as follows:-

air freight to BKK airport: 275 US dollars,

air freight to CNX 805 US dollars

Fed Ex to door 285 US dollars

I'll let you know how I get on. If anyone else would like to order one then they can PM me for details.

Elliptical machines are best for bad nees I know as I received medical discharge from U.S. Army for knee injury.If you don't want to buy one they have them gym near Rimping market for only 50 baht a day.

Personally I have found combat conditioning of Matt Furey better than any machine I have used. You need no equipment and okay on the knees if you do it slowly and warm up.Information about this can be found on internet just search combat conditioning.

• 4 weeks later...
Elliptical machines are best for bad nees I know as I received medical discharge from U.S. Army for knee injury.If you don't want to buy one they have them gym near Rimping market for only 50 baht a day.

Personally I have found combat conditioning of Matt Furey better than any machine I have used. You need no equipment and okay on the knees if you do it slowly and warm up.Information about this can be found on internet just search combat conditioning.

As promised, the latest on the basic Concept 2 rowing machine.

I took delivery this afternoon, from the Fedex man, the cost of the tax etc in total was 5130 baht. This means, when using 33 baht to the dollar, the total coat was some 42,000 baht, which is some 50,000 baht cheaoer than some people in BKK were charging.

As I metioned earlier if anyone would like a ny info on how to order, I will forward them the details.

Cheers

Mickmac

I took delivery this afternoon, from the Fedex man, the cost of the tax etc in total was 5130 baht. This means, when using 33 baht to the dollar, the total coat was some 42,000 baht, which is some 50,000 baht cheaoer than some people in BKK were charging.

I'm a little late to this thread but I agree that the Concept 2 is the way to go. Rowing is a great exercise. I don't do a lot of distance on one but I use it for interval training and it is great. One of the best things about a C2 is that you provide the power--no running up the electricity bill to use it. You can't say the same for a treadmill. Good ones have fairly large motors that will cost you to operate.

My wife has worked at a fitness center for 13 years. The treadmills, ellipticals, stair climbers, lifecycles, etc. that they use have all needed major maintenance or replacement over that time. The C2, however, could star in one of those battery commercials...it keeps going, and going, and going..... :o

I'm a little late to this thread but I agree that the Concept 2 is the way to go. Rowing is a great exercise. I don't do a lot of distance on one but I use it for interval training and it is great. One of the best things about a C2 is that you provide the power--no running up the electricity bill to use it. You can't say the same for a treadmill. Good ones have fairly large motors that will cost you to operate.

My wife has worked at a fitness center for 13 years. The treadmills, ellipticals, stair climbers, lifecycles, etc. that they use have all needed major maintenance or replacement over that time. The C2, however, could star in one of those battery commercials...it keeps going, and going, and going..... :D

Anyone have any pics of a C2 - and a good elliptical? :o