New Pattaya Mayor

monty

One of the new policies to be implemented by Khun ittipon:

· environmental improvement

· the implementation of an effective water supply for the city and Kho Larn (Coral Island)

· a 12-year free education system

· low-cost housing for low income groups

· a new, improved traffic system

· a tramline transportation system

· flood prevention

· job opportunities to decrease poverty

· the eradication of Pattaya's red-light venue – Walking Street

· the establishment of a drug-observation and prevention centre

· the encouragement of ecotourism

· the construction of a sports centre

· the establishment of a tourism festival

· the encouragement of world-class entertainment

Source:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000005878

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

· the implementation of an effective water supply for the city and Kho Larn (Coral Island)

· a 12-year free education system

· low-cost housing for low income groups

· a new, improved traffic system

· a tramline transportation system

· flood prevention

· job opportunities to decrease poverty

· the establishment of a drug-observation and prevention centre

· the encouragement of ecotourism

· the construction of a sports centre

· the establishment of a tourism festival

· the encouragement of world-class entertainment

Source:

If he succeeds on eradicating the red light businesses he doesn't need to worry about most of his other policies as no one will be using water, no one will need the housing and there'll be no one to use the tram system.

Does anyone really believe that Pattaya would be a fraction of the size it is without the less savoury trade? Its a small grotty beach in a pretty unremarkable landscape, hardly going to attract millions of high spending tourists to stay for weeks at a time spending 1000s of Baht a day.

I don't take much on that list seriously.

A tram line? Really. Pattaya can't even do taxi meters.

I do think in the long term the sleaze could be toned down, rezoned, and partly replaced with other kinds of entertainment, maybe Russian circuses and American Idol road shows (ha ha).

For the last few years, they just seem to be steadily killing off the nightlife scene. Walking

street is one of the more civilized areas. Already you can't hardly go walking down the beach

after dark, there are so many ladymen around they literally approach you in the bathroom at

the shopping mall,and every other unwanted place, it's ridiculous. Maybe pandering to the

constituents that farangs and their evil ways are leading to the demise of the kingdom is popular,

while ignoring all the real, actual problems like youth drug use and related crime.but again,

they just seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face, no vision whatsoever. :o

For the last few years, they just seem to be steadily killing off the nightlife scene. Walking

street is one of the more civilized areas. Already you can't hardly go walking down the beach

after dark, there are so many ladymen around they literally approach you in the bathroom at

the shopping mall,and every other unwanted place, it's ridiculous. Maybe pandering to the

constituents that farangs and their evil ways are leading to the demise of the kingdom is popular,

while ignoring all the real, actual problems like youth drug use and related crime.but again,

they just seem to be cutting off their nose to spite their face, no vision whatsoever. :o

They also seem to have this delusion that Thailand is so magical and special that millions of people will continue to come purely for the scenery and Thai smiles.

Thailand isn't that special in terms of scenery and amenities and the huge tourist numbers are very largely related to men coming for Thailand's well known attractions that don't involve sitting on a beach.

The infrastructure, service levels, cleanliness and crime and scams are huge issues if the country really is to attract the family market. The Pattaya tourists put up with it because there's no where else on earth like Pattaya. If there wasn't that draw then they'd go somewhere cleaner, safer, better organised and more convenient.

And to be frank, even if Thailand does upgrade all these things, its then just another tropical beach of which there is no shortage around the world.

If he succeeds on eradicating the red light businesses he doesn't need to worry about most of his other policies as no one will be using water, no one will need the housing and there'll be no one to use the tram system.

Does anyone really believe that Pattaya would be a fraction of the size it is without the less savoury trade? Its a small grotty beach in a pretty unremarkable landscape, hardly going to attract millions of high spending tourists to stay for weeks at a time spending 1000s of Baht a day.

I am constantly amused by the number of men who think that there are NO tourists in Pattaya who are looking for something other than sex. :D

I am fully aware that the red light aspects of Pattaya are infamous, world-wide; and that a significant percentage of the "tourists" who come here are men seeking cheap and easily accessed sex. However, I believe that, in many cases, the men who make statements such as those in the post I quoted above are really just pissed off at the thought of losing what THEY are here for; as opposed to expressing a sincere, well thought out opinion. :o

It should be obvious to anyone who ever leaves a beer bar long enough to observe the rest of Pattaya, that there are a large number of couples and families who come to this area as "normal" tourists; looking for an inexpensive way to access and experience a tropical resort environment. It should be equally obvious that it really would be possible to transition a large number of the sex venues to more typical "family attractions" for tourists. :D

Let me quickly add that I am NOT a "missionary" who is walking the streets with a "CLOSE THE BARS + STOP PROSTITUTION" sign. Hardly. (And, no, I won't expand upont that!) :D:D I'm simply making the point that I disagree with the opinion that Pattaya would collapse if the sex industry were to be significantly reduced, and/or more geographically limited.

Let's face it, the guys who are looking for sex really couldn't care less about the location of the "girl staffed" beer bars, massage parlors, and brothels. So why locate such "attractions" on the prime beach front location? These are areas that truly could be converted to clean, attractive, and safe family tourist attractions; while retaining the low-cost option that is not available at the major resort hotels.

Why not move the sex industry off the beach, and upgrade that area. IMO, that would give Pattaya the best of both worlds; adding, rather than diminishing the number of tourists, and the resulting income. Everybody's happy! :D

>>· the establishment of a drug-observation and prevention centre

What about starting with establishing a police force that are not on the take and getting rid of the drug dealers currently operating out in the open, loudly advertising their products.

(by the way - that is this JABA they shout about?)

Edited by DonTron

It should be obvious to anyone who ever leaves a beer bar long enough to observe the rest of Pattaya, that there are a large number of couples and families who come to this area as "normal" tourists; looking for an inexpensive way to access and experience a tropical resort environment. It should be equally obvious that it really would be possible to transition a large number of the sex venues to more typical "family attractions" for tourists. :o

I have observed that most of these couples and families are Russians who stay in cheap accomodation and spend very little money. This is because Pattaya is being marketed as a cheap package holiday destination in Russia. There's no way these Cheapie Vitalys could match the spending of the Brit, Yank and German guys who spend more in one night than a Russian family spends in a week. Also as soon as the Russians have discovered the nicer beach resorts like Koh Chang and Koh Samui they'll stop coming to Pattaya.

Not exactly a beautifl idyllic beach is it?

Whats the mayor on??

Ecotourism are you kidding,even Phi Phi which they want to promote as pristine ,beyond the beach theres more plastic bags than your local safeway.

It should be obvious to anyone who ever leaves a beer bar long enough to observe the rest of Pattaya, that there are a large number of couples and families who come to this area as "normal" tourists; looking for an inexpensive way to access and experience a tropical resort environment. It should be equally obvious that it really would be possible to transition a large number of the sex venues to more typical "family attractions" for tourists. :o

I have observed that most of these couples and families are Russians who stay in cheap accomodation and spend very little money. This is because Pattaya is being marketed as a cheap package holiday destination in Russia. There's no way these Cheapie Vitalys could match the spending of the Brit, Yank and German guys who spend more in one night than a Russian family spends in a week. Also as soon as the Russians have discovered the nicer beach resorts like Koh Chang and Koh Samui they'll stop coming to Pattaya.

Well, you noticed wrong!

The Russians are now the big spenders here. A huge percentage of the high end rooms are occupied by Russians. They also shop like mad, especially for jewelry. Also some think the normal baht bus fare is 100 baht so I wouldn't be surprised with the huge boom in Russian language courses for Thais.

So why was the very same Mr Ittipon giving a speech on Walking Street to Pattaya's "nightlife workers" at 3 am before the election?

I don't think the Walking Street red-light venue could have hoped for a more friendly mayor. Maybe "eradication" is a mistranslation of "promotion"?

Edited by edwardandtubs

Well, you noticed wrong!

The Russians are now the big spenders here. A huge percentage of the high end rooms are occupied by Russians. They also shop like mad, especially for jewelry. Also some think the normal baht bus fare is 100 baht so I wouldn't be surprised with the huge boom in Russian language courses for Thais.

That's nonsense. Why would any Russian with any money choose Pattaya over Phuket? I mostly see them shopping in markets and supermarkets for the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. As for baht buses I often see them chartering one and then arguing with the driver over the fare once they've already finished the journey.

One has also to consider:

Population of Pattaya: 500,000 or 1,000,000 ??? I have no idea.

Number of eligible voters in Pattaya: around 64,000!

Votes: around 33,000

Votes for Ittipon: around 17,000

So it is quite easy to imagine, that the most driving economical force of the population is not registered in Pattaya. And just imagine how many businesses (not only farang ones, but mostly thai ones) depend on Walking Street, entertainment venues etc.

Maybe it is just plain rhetoric to get the votes of people staying here for their lifetime and are involved in businesses that do not concern the entertainment side. However, there not many of those.

So let's wait for the tram line first! :o

Edited by moo9

I am constantly amused by the number of men who think that there are NO tourists in Pattaya who are looking for something other than sex. :D

I am fully aware that the red light aspects of Pattaya are infamous, world-wide; and that a significant percentage of the "tourists" who come here are men seeking cheap and easily accessed sex. However, I believe that, in many cases, the men who make statements such as those in the post I quoted above are really just pissed off at the thought of losing what THEY are here for; as opposed to expressing a sincere, well thought out opinion. :o

It should be obvious to anyone who ever leaves a beer bar long enough to observe the rest of Pattaya, that there are a large number of couples and families who come to this area as "normal" tourists; looking for an inexpensive way to access and experience a tropical resort environment. It should be equally obvious that it really would be possible to transition a large number of the sex venues to more typical "family attractions" for tourists. :D

Let me quickly add that I am NOT a "missionary" who is walking the streets with a "CLOSE THE BARS + STOP PROSTITUTION" sign. Hardly. (And, no, I won't expand upont that!) :D:D I'm simply making the point that I disagree with the opinion that Pattaya would collapse if the sex industry were to be significantly reduced, and/or more geographically limited.

Let's face it, the guys who are looking for sex really couldn't care less about the location of the "girl staffed" beer bars, massage parlors, and brothels. So why locate such "attractions" on the prime beach front location? These are areas that truly could be converted to clean, attractive, and safe family tourist attractions; while retaining the low-cost option that is not available at the major resort hotels.

Why not move the sex industry off the beach, and upgrade that area. IMO, that would give Pattaya the best of both worlds; adding, rather than diminishing the number of tourists, and the resulting income. Everybody's happy! :D

This is a very good post completely marred by your labelling of someone who doesn't agree with your views that Pattaya's best future is becoming family friendly as a sex tourist who only comes for "that"

Your rationale is undermined by the suspicion that you are masking a moral fanaticism under a mask of reasonableness that slipped just enough to show your real views towards anyone who doesn't like exactly what you like.

BTW, I live in Chiang Mai. How does that fit in with your prejudice that anyone who disagrees with you is a sex tourist? Or did I come to Chiang Mai for its riotous night life :sarcasm:

I wonder why the new mayor wouldn't take on some of the really pressing issues such as cleaning up the police force and mafia elements instead of just paying lip-service to the electorate?

As far as Walking Street goes, the biggest change I can see coming will be a new format & name. Any more than that and there will be a set of concrete shoes with his name on them.

Maybe - no traffic with a tram pulled by donkeys and called "the walk". :o

I wonder why the new mayor wouldn't take on some of the really pressing issues such as cleaning up the police force and mafia elements instead of just paying lip-service to the electorate?

As far as Walking Street goes, the biggest change I can see coming will be a new format & name. Any more than that and there will be a set of concrete shoes with his name on them.

I think Walking Streets days are numbered. It may take ten years, but the country isn't so poor anymore that its happy to put up with absolutely anything for money.

My problem is that I think they'll kill walking street (and the rest of the garish nightlife) before they've upgraded Pattaya to be a genuine family resort. (I wouldn't take young kids or old people there. The streets are a death trap of open holes, missing sidewalks, crazy drivers, and low hanging electrical wires) And so when they realise that they need to upgrade, the sources of income that could have paid for the investment will already have been forced out

I think Walking Streets days are numbered. It may take ten years, but the country isn't so poor anymore that its happy to put up with absolutely anything for money.

My problem is that I think they'll kill walking street (and the rest of the garish nightlife) before they've upgraded Pattaya to be a genuine family resort. (I wouldn't take young kids or old people there. The streets are a death trap of open holes, missing sidewalks, crazy drivers, and low hanging electrical wires) And so when they realise that they need to upgrade, the sources of income that could have paid for the investment will already have been forced out

Honestly I think Pattaya would be a dead hole without the Walking Street.

There are far better beach resorts and holiday places in Thailand if you look for a tropical holiday.

As many of you mentioned before, those guys should take care first of the day to day problems (Police, roads, traffic) before catching votes with unrealistic promises.

Last but not least, I do not understand people bashing Pattaya nightlife. I fyou guys do not like it, you can move to many other places!

perfect post pats.

the beach rd area could be an ideal place for families and wheelchair bound people.take the cars/trucks/buses off beach rd and it would be prefect to walk up on the road and get the sea breeze.oops i forgot,shoot the ladyboys too,robbing gits.

I am fully aware that the red light aspects of Pattaya are infamous, world-wide; and that a significant percentage of the "tourists" who come here are men seeking cheap and easily accessed sex. :

It should be obvious to anyone who ever leaves a beer bar long enough to observe the rest of Pattaya, that there are a large number of couples and families who come to this area as "normal" tourists; looking for an inexpensive way to access and experience a tropical resort environment. It should be equally obvious that it really would be possible to transition a large number of the sex venues to more typical "family attractions" for tourists.

Anyone with half a brain should realize that a large numbers of Europeans come to Thailand - often with their families - because they enjoy the unusual sights and atmosphere of partying men and prostitutes in a non-dangerous atmosphere.

Both Pattaya and Patong Beach have been crawling with these families staying in the best hotels for the last 30 years.

They know what to expect when they come here and seem to have a really good time. :o

This is a very good post completely marred by your labelling of someone who doesn't agree with your views that Pattaya's best future is becoming family friendly as a sex tourist who only comes for "that"

Your rationale is undermined by the suspicion that you are masking a moral fanaticism under a mask of reasonableness that slipped just enough to show your real views towards anyone who doesn't like exactly what you like.

BTW, I live in Chiang Mai. How does that fit in with your prejudice that anyone who disagrees with you is a sex tourist? Or did I come to Chiang Mai for its riotous night life :sarcasm:

I am having a great deal of trouble remaining upright, rather than doubled over in laughter! :D Believe me, I am as close to being a "moral fanatic" as is Bill Clinton!

I do detect a rather strong defensive reaction to my post, since I did not "label" you. My specific words were: ""I believe that, in many cases, the men who make statements such as those in the post I quoted above are really just pissed off at the thought of losing what THEY are here for; as opposed to expressing a sincere, well thought out opinion.

The phrase "in many cases" was specifically intended to indicate that I was not labelling you. I was making a generalization.

And I would add that, since I do not know your history with Pattaya, I have no idea how much time you spent here, or what your general behavior was (or is) when here. But you certainly profess to know a great deal about the city's more sordid areas; and about the likelihood for change here. This, too, makes me wonder about just how well the shoe I presented in my comment might fit. :o

· the implementation of an effective water supply for the city and Kho Larn (Coral Island) What no water shortages? Lake Mabprachan connected with other water supplies? Oh yeh

· a 12-year free education system Didn't Samak and his cronies just announce that?

· low-cost housing for low income groups You can get a room for 2000B/mont, I've seen them sleep 4 or 5

· a new, improved traffic system Would settle for traffic flow

· a tramline transportation systemWhere? Beach Rd between the buses?

· flood prevention Is this relted to the effective water supply or are we due for another rond of digging up the roads as new contracts are issued to "qualified companies"

· job opportunities to decrease povertyLook at the next point, that will increase the number of unemployed

· the establishment of a drug-observation and prevention centre. You mean Beach Rd after dark?

· the encouragement of ecotourism. Where? Are there any areas in the Pattaya council domain that would rate as attracting people interested in looking at this type of wild life? In Chon Buri provence may be but it is out of the juristiction of Pattaya City.

· the construction of a sports centreIsn't there one just being completed in the area?

· the establishment of a tourism festival. A what? Who are you trying to target visitor or travel agents?

· the encouragement of world-class entertainment. The newspapers give us that.

Source:

Karman Po would be proud of the pork barreling that is being proposed here.

I am having a great deal of trouble remaining upright, rather than doubled over in laughter! :D Believe me, I am as close to being a "moral fanatic" as is Bill Clinton!

I do detect a rather strong defensive reaction to my post, since I did not "label" you. My specific words were: ""I believe that, in many cases, the men who make statements such as those in the post I quoted above are really just pissed off at the thought of losing what THEY are here for; as opposed to expressing a sincere, well thought out opinion.

The phrase "in many cases" was specifically intended to indicate that I was not labelling you. I was making a generalization.

And I would add that, since I do not know your history with Pattaya, I have no idea how much time you spent here, or what your general behavior was (or is) when here. But you certainly profess to know a great deal about the city's more sordid areas; and about the likelihood for change here. This, too, makes me wonder about just how well the shoe I presented in my comment might fit. :o

You're not wondering at all. You've decided already to label me a sex tourist.

Since you also state opinions with a great deal of confidence and seem sure that they are more correct than mine I can only conclude that your experience of Pattaya and its nefarious activities is greater than mine. A hypocritical sex tourist? Perhaps its self-loathing that colours your opinions of Pattaya?

You're not wondering at all. You've decided already to label me a sex tourist.

Since you also state opinions with a great deal of confidence and seem sure that they are more correct than mine I can only conclude that your experience of Pattaya and its nefarious activities is greater than mine. A hypocritical sex tourist? Perhaps its self-loathing that colours your opinions of Pattaya?

OK. Let my try to curtail this brewing flame war before it rages out of control. I do not know you; and I do not know what you have used as the basis for your opinions. What I am disagreeing with is your insistance that there is no possibilty of survival for Pattaya if the sex industry is significantly reduced, and/or relocated. That was the core of my response to you; and the part that I'd rather focus upon.

I apologize if the quip I threw in embarassed and/or angered you. That was not my intent.

I must also add that, having lived here for a bit over 2 years, I am EXTREMELY pessimistic as to the likelihood that this new mayor is either serious about, or capable of, making most of the changes in the list of Monty's OP. My post was entirely hypothetical. I do believe, very strongly, that Pattaya COULD be successfully converted to a genuine "family resort" city. However, doing so would require that all corruption be eliminated. That would, in turn, result in the development of an hones and effective police force. I believe that those two things are not likely to happen before the next ice age!

So, again, my discussion was not intended as a big cheer for "Crusader Ittipon". I was simply saying that Pattaya could be changed, if there were people in power who truly had the desire and the political power to do so. I do not believe that the sex industry MUST be the backbone of the city's economy. It is. And it will continue to be. But not because of the "buying power" of the sex tourists who support it. It will continue to be so because the people in power make their money from it; and there is no one who is capable of taking that power from them.

That's nonsense. Why would any Russian with any money choose Pattaya over Phuket? I mostly see them shopping in markets and supermarkets for the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on. As for baht buses I often see them chartering one and then arguing with the driver over the fare once they've already finished the journey.

You will have to ask the Russians about that. They prefer Pattaya over Phuket, obviously. So do I.

http://www.gluckman.com/Russians.html

While Russians fall head over heels for Thailand, Thais are growing rather fond of their Slavic visitors in return. "These are good tourists," says TAT's Sethapan. "Our research shows they spend a lot of money, much more than other tourists. They are big spenders, buying watches and clothes, 1,000 items at a time." He adds: "For us, it's a little bit like finding gold."
Edited by Jingthing