Isaan Here We Come!

george

....the very least the authorities could do would be to label the interesting points in both Thai and English

(and maybe other languages too), instead of only in Thai.

Better guide books in English and other languages,

and sign posting to help tourists find these sights are also needed.

Not every tourist arrives in a tour coach.

An admirable goal. Unfortunately, if this provides spin offs for the local Isaan tourism industry, alot of places down in Bangkok, Patttycake town and Phuket are going to miss their cheap labour source that is so easily exploited. The establishments that profit from the poverty of the North that drives many decent people into employment as "special friends" may have to make do with the folks from Myanamar and Uzbekhistan. I really do hope the goal is achieved as Isaan could use the money generated by tourists and those folks deserve some benefit from the holiday dream industry.

Great post GK! I hope the recent doubling of the price of rice winds up in the hands of the Issan farmers, and may they get the rains at the right time this year and have a bumper crop :o

I hope the recent doubling of the price of rice winds up in the hands of the Issan farmers......

A vain hope, I fear.

It is the middle men who make the profits, not the producers.

Looks like the North East is an archaeologists and meditators paradise. Now what can it offer the other 99.5% of tourists? A barren landscape and somtam. Let's be honest, there's a reason why people don't do go Isaan. It's simple, it's crap, and unless you married a bargirl and her family lives there there is no reason for you to go near the place. ( But Phimai is worth a look if you're passing through).

What about the Mekhong River Valley,particularily from Chiang Khan to Nong Khai.Most of it is beautiful scenery....hills,greenery,fertile land,winding undulating road that runs alongside the Mekhong River for quite a long way.

Sitting out in a restaurant overlooking the Mekhong in a beautiful,tranquil spot like Sangkhom is a great experience.

According to Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat, the TAT is introducing new tourism routes along the Mekong River, dinosaur fossils and cultural tourism in the Northeast, and Khmer and ancient civilisations of the region as part of the promotion plan.

How much is the government charging for foreigners to visit these "cultural" sites??

It doubled recently, if my memory serves me right.

That is definitely the way to encourage people to visit. :o

I know this is way off topic Astral, but is that little emoticon being sick the only one you know. Or do you really want to throw up on every given subject?

I got a limited experience of Thailand since I been here only 15 month (5 month in Bangkok and the rest in Ubon and of course driving around different city). What I feel is that in the next 5-10 years isaan area will be full of expat especially the retired one,since the cost of living in Bangkok and in the turistic area of thailand keep going up, and big corporation will make bangkok lose the Thai carisma, will be no different than any world capital. :o don't jump on me, just an opinion.

Looks like the North East is an archaeologists and meditators paradise. Now what can it offer the other 99.5% of tourists? A barren landscape and somtam.

You've never been here then.

Please spread that news around as many people as possible, and stay away.

Well said, I have meet the "typical" Thai tourist lost in Issan and the first request was "where do I find a Lady bar"

Try bangkok

Gwynt

I knew I'd seen this post (amazing what you remember in the shower)

We had a couple of transient visitors in the bar last night (can't call them tourists as that would be an injustice to most tourists) and that question got asked "where are the girlie bars?" .... it illicited the usual response "for a farang, forget it"

And it got me thinking, from this particular brand of visitor the question is always "where are?" and not "are there any?" ...... and it makes me sad to think that there is a section of our western society that has branded all of Thailand with one very narrow brush.

And what really makes me sad is that we live in a very much supply and demand world, heaven forbid that the demand for some attractions becomes high enough around here for the supply chain to start.

I got a limited experience of Thailand since I been here only 15 month (5 month in Bangkok and the rest in Ubon and of course driving around different city). What I feel is that in the next 5-10 years isaan area will be full of expat especially the retired one,since the cost of living in Bangkok and in the turistic area of thailand keep going up, and big corporation will make bangkok lose the Thai carisma, will be no different than any world capital. :o don't jump on me, just an opinion.

They are already flocking up here opening their crappy bars and moaning about visas while their wife's argue about who has the best car and the newest biggest house.

Looks like the North East is an archaeologists and meditators paradise. Now what can it offer the other 99.5% of tourists? A barren landscape and somtam. Let's be honest, there's a reason why people don't do go Isaan. It's simple, it's crap, and unless you married a bargirl and her family lives there there is no reason for you to go near the place. ( But Phimai is worth a look if you're passing through).

What about the Mekhong River Valley,particularily from Chiang Khan to Nong Khai.Most of it is beautiful scenery....hills,greenery,fertile land,winding undulating road that runs alongside the Mekhong River for quite a long way.

Sitting out in a restaurant overlooking the Mekhong in a beautiful,tranquil spot like Sangkhom is a great experience.

Shhh, don't tell anybody, they will all want to come and look.

On the odd occasion when I've been asked where all the girlie bars are, I normally say Bangkok, sort of ends the conversation. :o