New Baby In Thailand - Nationality?

JohnCarp

We have several members who's children hold 3 passports. One has Aus, NZ & Thai but I presume it would depend on the individual countries view of the parents nationality held.

The Thai Embassy, consular section in Washington DC states that Thailand does not recognise dual nationality. It gives 2 exemptions. The one that concerns most is that dual nationality is acceptable for a child to have it "until reaching the age of majority (18). At this point, person must choose which citizenship to maintain".

Fine to all that have evaded the law but things will change in the future due to America wanting to close the loop holes in dual nationality. It's the biggest hurdle they face combatting terrorism as they need to keep a check on peoples movements and dual nationality is a thorn to them. It's also a thorn to Thailand, as people with a Thai and another nationality passport can buy land here. Something they don't want.

PS. The Citizens Act (3rd issue)1992 is 1993 on Thailand Embassy site.

making up fake quotes now are we conventry?

Here is a real link to the Thai embassy website in DC

http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/con_info...f.htm#questions

Tell me, where does it say here that it is illegal. I mean, this is the FAQ page on nationality issues.

Just to confuse this, I am a dual national Aus/Brit does this mean our Thai child can hold 3 passports???

My daughter has Thai/NZ/Australian, and has blond hair, blue eyes, freckles and skin as white as her Irish great great grand father.

As for you, if you were born in the UK or were naturalised as a Brit, then if your child was born outside the UK, then they will be able to get UK citizenship. If you were born overseas to British parents, you better check with the embassy.

If you were naturalised as an Aussie or were aussie born, then yes, you can pass it on automatically if the child was born outside of OZ. If you were born to Australian parents outside of Australia, you have to have lived in OZ cumulatively for at least 2 years to be able to pass on citizenship to a child born outside of OZ.

Thai citizenship on the other hand (at least as it stands) only requires one of the parents to be Thai, and nationality can be passed down indefinetly regarless of where you are born.

the law gives you the option of making a choice between ages 20 and 21 to choose, but there is no compulsion, and no penalty if no choice is made.

I've got both, and am waaaaaaaay over 20 and travel on both passports very regularly.

When a Thai national applies for an ID card or passport there's a question on the form which asks " are you a national of any other country ? " By not being honest in that question you are committing an offence which can negate ones passport or ID card. Or once again am I not correct ?

just while I am being a bit pedantic, lets quash another wives tale, about the question on the passport form which asks if you are national of another country.

I must admit, while the form is a little longer than 3 lines, no such question exists, as can be seen on this passport application form available from the Thai embassy in london:

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/e_passport_form1.pdf

So I'm a liar now ? The information I gave, came from a site that I mentioned in an earlier post. Please go look it up. Obviously in ones eagerness to prove me wrong that site was by passed.

As for the question of 'are you a national of any other country', when applying for a Thai ID card or passport ?I stand by this. The form you mention on the web site is an application for a Thai to travel abroad it's not an application for a passport or an ID card. Please try harder.

I also mentioned earlier about Americas dislike of dual nationality. I wasn't refering to those with just Thai/American passports I was refering to the world use of it. Economically, I believe the US is Thailands biggest trading partner, on that basis it wouldn't be too hard for the US to start here.

Edited by coventry

The form you mention on the web site is an application for a Thai to travel abroad it's not an application for a passport or an ID card.

I don't know if you're translating that yourself but you're completely wrong.

Than I apologise. Please tell me what it is. Thank you

It's a passport application form for a Thai living who is in the UK.

หนังสือเดินทางไปต่างประเทศ means passport.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

So I'm a liar now ? The information I gave, came from a site that I mentioned in an earlier post. Please go look it up. Obviously in ones eagerness to prove me wrong that site was by passed.

As for the question of 'are you a national of any other country', when applying for a Thai ID card or passport ?I stand by this. The form you mention on the web site is an application for a Thai to travel abroad it's not an application for a passport or an ID card. Please try harder.

I also mentioned earlier about Americas dislike of dual nationality. I wasn't refering to those with just Thai/American passports I was refering to the world use of it. Economically, I believe the US is Thailands biggest trading partner, on that basis it wouldn't be too hard for the US to start here.

Whatever you are, you are misinformed, and you sure as hel_l can't read Thai.

What I showed you was an application for a Thai passport. Apart from the variation of it being for an application in for a passport in the UK, it is identical to those used in Thailand. If there was going to be a dual nationality question, you'd expect it to be on a passport application form issued to those who are most likey going to have more than two passports. But, as I said, Thailand doesn't care about dual nationality, so they don't ask it.

I've filled a few of these things out in my life, for myself, and my daughter, so I know what they look like. I take it you've filled in a Thai passport application or a Thai passport application yourself? If so, I'd like you to present evidence of where this so called 'dual nationality' question is.

As for US attitudes to dual citizenship, I'll take the word of the US state department over yours:

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another
The source is: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

coventry I beleive you are getting mixed information based on the websites you thought was the consul website but is acutally called multiplecitizenship.com & is not an official US or thai website on dual nationality information.The info there states it is based on a document produced prior to 2001 but as it is now 2008, things have obviously changed.

Boo in fact the document on the web site was Copyright©2001-2007. This clearly indicates that is was published 2007 not prior 2001 as you state. They wouldn't pre date the document in case of change would they ? So what's the intention of the said site. To spread misinformation ? I doubt it, as it would serve no perpose.

Would someone kindly show me their source of information that Dual Nationality is acceptable/legal, after the age of majority (18) on a Thai web site. If your so sure of your facts the telephone number of the Thai US embassy is on the page

As for the "are you a national of any other country" on the application form for a passport or ID card. My information comes from www.<URL Automatically Removed> (I'm sure that will be deleted). If you go search "dual nationality" in there, there is a post by 'william' dated23/11/07 who says"Thailand does not acknowledge the concept of dual nationality legally". Meaning that if it's illegal in Thai law. Whether it's overlooked by some officials doesn't make it legal. He also confirms my "are you........." quote. William is in fact a lawyer and oversees the 'doing things legal' forum on the said site. So he's wrong as well. I'll let him know.

Edited by coventry

Sorry to write again but I put above message on fast reply and run out of space.

Samram you're giving quotes from US sites. I've never delared that dual nationality isn't acceptable in the US even though the government doesn't like the fact. Please show me an official Thai quote appertaining to dual nationality then I'll shut up and will tell 'william' he's a shit lawyer.

As for a Thai passport application my wife went for hers in Korat last month. Thais don't even fill out the form, they have staff that do it for them. So how you know it's an exact copy of one from Thailand, as Thais never see the application form they just sign it after it's been filled in for them, has me perplexed. You are the only person I know Samran that's filled out the form himself, congratulations. I believe I'm correct that Thais cannot apply vis post for one either.

My wife,well educated, still says thatthe form on the web site you stated isn't an application for a passport. As she says ' it's only one page, who's ever seen a passport application with only one page'?

Edited by coventry

Not in Thai this one, but it's from someone official:

http://www.phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=694

“Section 13 of the Citizenship Act 1965 stipulates that a female Thai national who marries a foreigner and is later granted citizenship by her foreign husband’s home country shall maintain her Thai nationality.

There is no Thai law that stipulates that she must lose her Thai citizenship. However, she may choose to revoke her Thai citizenship, a decision the Thai government will announce the Government Gazette.

For Thai children with dual nationality, the Citizenship Act (3rd issue) 1992 states that a Thai national with a foreign father may declare his or her intention to revoke Thai nationality within the year following the child’s 20th birthday.

The law does not mention that the child will automatically have his or her Thai citizenship revoked. If the child does not declare his or her intention to revoke Thai citizenship, that child will still hold Thai nationality.”

Monday, April 12, 2004

Satchaphand Atthakor, Deputy Director-General,

Consular Affairs Department,

Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I've never said Thai passport will be automatically revoked when 18. I accept it used to be 20 in the past. My quotes come from 2007.

Just been looking www.indonesiamatters.com about dual nationality. The question arouse about Thai/Indonesian dual passports. Answer was "when child gets to 18 they must decide........." according to Thai law. Go read, it's in English.

Edited by coventry

An explanation in Thai from:

http://www.meechaithailand.com/ver1/?modul...w&id=019854

การจะได้สองสัญชาติหรือไม่ขึ้นอยู่กับว่าบิดาเข้ามาในราชอาณาจักรโดยชอบหรือไม่ และบิดากับมารดาได้สมรสกันโดยชอบหรือไม่ หรืออยู่กันเฉยๆ ถ้ามีสองสัญชาติแล้ว จะถืออยู่ต่อไปโดยไม่เลือกสัญชาติใดสัญชาติหนึ่งก็ได้ หรือจะเลือกเมื่อบรรลุนิติภาวะแล้วก็ได้ เมื่อถือสองสัญชาติจะใช้หนังสือเดินทางของประเทศไหนก็ได้

มีชัย ฤชุพันธุ์

13 ธันวาคม 2549

My husband filled out his own passport form at the passport office in Bangkok & filled out my sons in London, same form. I think you are grasping at straws here.

Enough links have been given to prove that thai nationality doesn't need to be revoked when gaining a second one. If you don't want your wife to have dual nationality then thats your call but trying to force your incorrect opinions as fact is proving nothing in the face of actual embassy/MFA websites & docuements. You are using non official websites to push your point but anyone (as proved here) could open a wedbiste & claim the earth is flat, doesn't make it true.

Enough links have been given to US/Thai websites & not one states that nationality has to be revoked for either thai or US citizens & we even have a direct document from the Deputy Director-General, Consular Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs also stating;

“Section 13 of the Citizenship Act 1965 stipulates that a female Thai national who marries a foreigner and is later granted citizenship by her foreign husband’s home country shall maintain her Thai nationality.

There is no Thai law that stipulates that she must lose her Thai citizenship. However, she may choose to revoke her Thai citizenship, a decision the Thai government will announce the Government Gazette.

For Thai children with dual nationality, the Citizenship Act (3rd issue) 1992 states that a Thai national with a foreign father may declare his or her intention to revoke Thai nationality within the year following the child’s 20th birthday.

The law does not mention that the child will automatically have his or her Thai citizenship revoked. If the child does not declare his or her intention to revoke Thai citizenship, that child will still hold Thai nationality

.”

If this is not clear enough then we can't help you any further as you clearly can't read English.

Coventry:

As for an official link, you've been given a website to 'Ask meechai' a website that provides free advice by Meechai Ruchupan and his team, who amongst other things, is (or was) president of the Thai senate, and if I'm not mistaken, one of the drafters of the constitution. He is very well respected in legal circles.

This is about as official as you are ever going to get, as this is not a big issue for Thai's themselves, more so for people in Thai/foreign marriages and who have kids who are entitled to both.

As someone who for the past 10 years has been trying to find out 'exactly' what is what, his answer does not deviate from what I've been told by officials. I also had the opportunity to ask a member of the Council of State, the body which reviews all the laws about this issue. His answer was while the legislation is written slightly contradictory and opaque manner - especially given that some clauses discriminate against some - but not others (eg those born to foreign fathers in thailand), the result being that many of the clauses in the act can be potentially ruled as unconstitutional (given that all Thais have to be treated equally under law). The net effect of the 2535 legislation is that it is possible to have dual nationality.

Now, you have the choice of beleiving me (a stranger on the internet) or, 'william' who is another stranger on the internet. He claims to be a lawyer, and I don't (I'm an economist who used to work for the thai government). So the choice is yours of who to beleive or now.

As for me filling out the passport 'form', as I said originally, it is about three lines (or there abouts). It isn't for instance, the same as lengthy form that I'm forced to fill out when I apply for my australian passport.

I applied for my and my daughters Thai passport at the office in Chaeng Wattana in October 2006. When you go there, you take your ID card and give it to the lady. She then gives you a number to wait in line, as well as a slip of paper where you write your name in Thai and English, giving your ID number and your registered tabieen baan. That is the 'form' I was refering too.

You then wait, and walk into the big room, where they take your photo, finger prints and type the details into the computer.

At no point was I asked about my dual nationality. I do not look Thai, and as I said, my daughter has blond hair and blue eyes.

If there was going to be an opportunitiy to invoke the questoin you are talking about, that would have been the time don't you think?

thai passport form is one page; husband had to renew his for israeli visa stuff and we needed to have five years of passport time... what we did need though was proof that he had done his army or was exempt from the army so brother in law fed expressed it to the consulate here and anon got his passport renewed.

and as stated, children up to age 18 must decide on nationality for US citizens is the 'real' 'law' but the states have always turned a blind eye to those holding dual citizenship with 'friendly' nations .... i live in a a nation where a vast majority hold dual citizenship for one western country or an other, AND have served in this county's army (or our kids are)....

but as also stated, rules can suddenly be enforced, and the states are a nervous wreck about foreigners nowadays sooooo...

i believe, that thailand will probably use the 'discretion of the official ' clause that they seem to apply for many official tings, for over looking or enforcing dual citizenship questions... better to have it, and have it revoked in the future, then to not have it, when u might want or need it...

bina

israel

It's obviously an up hill battle to try and debate with people that are in denile. Not one of you have shown Government proof to your statements. The Deputy Director-General, Consular Affairs Dep't says "the child will still hold Thai nationality". He says that but if you read Thailands Nationality Act of july, B.E.2508 section 17 it can be taken away from you. There are 4 clauses which nationality can be withdrawn. Clause 2:-" There is evidence to show that he makes use of the nationality of his father or....." By using Dual nationality this breeches this clause. Also please pay attention to clause 1 and the 5 year rule.

This is now becoming tiresome and I no longer wish to debate the subject. Let's leave it on a failier to agee. One last thing is "Why obtain a Thai passport for a child. There is no overstay fines imposed on a foreign child holding a foreign passport that has an out of date visa stamp". I'm not looking for an answer, just giving all some home work to do now that I'm closing on the above subject. I wouldn't want you all to go and get bored.

This forum isn't a government sponsored site but you give out legal advice that make people think what you say is correct. No disclaimers are shown when making those statements.

One more posting on the subject. This time from the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1071.php

Make of it what you will. :o

พ.ร.บ. สัญชาติ พ.ศ. 2508 แก้ไขโดย พ.ร.บ. สัญชาติ (ฉบับที่2 และฉบับที่3) พ.ศ. 2535 มิได้มีบทบัญญัติกำหนดเกี่ยวกับผู้มีสัญชาติไทยและสัญชาติอื่นในขณะเดียวกันไว้โดยตรง และไม่ได้มีบทบัญญัติกำหนดว่าให้ผู้ที่มีสัญชาติไทย และสัญชาติอื่นในขณะเดียวกันต้องเสียสัญชาติไทยเพราะข้อเท็จจริงที่บุคคลนั้นมีสัญชาติอื่นอยู่ด้วย ดังนั้น หากบุคคลผู้ถือสัญชาติไทยและสัญชาติอื่นในขณะเดียวกันมิได้แสดงเจตนาสละสัญชาติไทย หรือกระทำการใดที่อาจเป็นเหตุให้องค์กรของรัฐถอนสัญชาติ และไม่มีสถานการณ์ที่บุคคลอาจเสียสัญชาติ หรือกระทำการใดที่เป็นการยอมรับว่าตนเป็นคนต่างด้าว บุคคลนั้นจึงสามารถถือสัญชาติไทยและสัญชาติอื่นได้ในขณะเดียวกัน ส่วนบุคคลนั้นจะเสียอีกสัญชาติหนึ่งหรือไม่ประการใดก็ย่อมเป็นไปตามกฎหมายสัญชาติของประเทศนั้น ทั้งนี้ คุณดวงใจฯ สามารถหาข้อมูลเพิ่มเติมและข้อมูลในทางปฎิบัติได้จากกระทรวงมหาดไทย ซึ่งเป็นหน่วยงานผู้รักษาการพ.ร.บ.สัญชาติฯ

Coventry, am happy to agree to disagree, and it is is good that you've at least decided to look at the law, rather than what some bloke says.

As for disclaimers, when you joined Thai visa you agreed to take on the board 'as is' there are no implied warranties etc etc...it is in the forum rules.

But I suggest you read the nationality act (as well as the Thai constitution) a little more closely.

Section 17 that you highlighted for instance, only applies to "a person who has Thai nationality, by reason of his having been born within the Thai Kingdom of an alien father ".

The first thing to remember, is that a person will not derive thai nationality from an alien parent if they were born in the kingdom. In most cases, they will derive it from their thai parent. The only way that a child will derive thai nationality by being born of an alien father is if the alien father is a PR, and married to an alien mother, also with PR.

So it doesn't apply to a majority of the people born in the kingdom who get to have dual nationality, by being born to a thai mother. It also doesn't apply to people who gained thai nationality born outside of the kingdom to a thai parent.

Section 21 which says "A person of Thai nationality who was born of an alien father and may acquire the nationality of his father according to the law n nationality of his father shall lose Thai nationality if he obtains anlien identification card according to the law on registration of aliens." is also a bit misleading and is also unconstitional.

Firstly, it disciminates against someone who has a foreign father (as opposed to a forieng mother and thai father). To discriminate against ones origins is unconstitutional. Secondly and "alien identification card according to the law on registration of aliens", is if you read the thai text, actually the same language to use to describe permanent residency document. In otherwords if you were already Thai, why would you go about getting a PR document?

As for the act as it stands, it doesn't apply to me. I was born outside the kingdom, to a Thai national mother. It is through her aquired my Thai nationality.I did not aquire my Australian citizenship through my father, rather, before 1986, Australian law granted citizenship to anyone born on Australian soil. As such, I was not 'naturalised' as a foreigner.

For those who are born in thailand, most of the law doesn't apply to them either given they will derive their Thai citizenship from their thai mother, not their foreign father.

One more posting on the subject. This time from the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1071.php

Make of it what you will. :o

พ.ร.บ. สัญชาติ พ.ศ. 2508 แก้ไขโดย พ.ร.บ. สัญชาติ (ฉบับที่2 และฉบับที่3) พ.ศ. 2535 มิได้มีบทบัญญัติกำหนดเกี่ยวกับผู้มีสัญชาติไทยและสัญชาติอื่นในขณะเดียวกันไว้โดยตรง และไม่ได้มีบทบัญญัติกำหนดว่าให้ผู้ที่มีสัญชาติไทย และสัญชาติอื่นในขณะเดียวกันต้องเสียสัญชาติไทยเพราะข้อเท็จจริงที่บุคคลนั้นมีสัญชาติอื่นอยู่ด้วย ดังนั้น หากบุคคลผู้ถือสัญชาติไทยและสัญชาติอื่นในขณะเดียวกันมิได้แสดงเจตนาสละสัญชาติไทย หรือกระทำการใดที่อาจเป็นเหตุให้องค์กรของรัฐถอนสัญชาติ และไม่มีสถานการณ์ที่บุคคลอาจเสียสัญชาติ หรือกระทำการใดที่เป็นการยอมรับว่าตนเป็นคนต่างด้าว บุคคลนั้นจึงสามารถถือสัญชาติไทยและสัญชาติอื่นได้ในขณะเดียวกัน ส่วนบุคคลนั้นจะเสียอีกสัญชาติหนึ่งหรือไม่ประการใดก็ย่อมเป็นไปตามกฎหมายสัญชาติของประเทศนั้น ทั้งนี้ คุณดวงใจฯ สามารถหาข้อมูลเพิ่มเติมและข้อมูลในทางปฎิบัติได้จากกระทรวงมหาดไทย ซึ่งเป็นหน่วยงานผู้รักษาการพ.ร.บ.สัญชาติฯ

KhaoNiaw, you missed the paragraph a bit further down:

1. หลังจากจดทะเบียนสมรสแล้วคุณยังคงได้สัญชาติไทยเหมือนเดิม โดยหลักแล้ว กม. ไทยอนุญาตให้ถือ 2 สัญชาติได้ หากคุณมิได้แสดงเจตนาว่าจะสละสัญชาติไทย ซึ่งกรณีที่คุณประสงค์จะสละสัญชาติไทยอาจเกิดขึ้นได้ เช่น หากกม.ประเทศของสามีคุณบังคับให้คุณเลือกที่จะถือสัญชาติใดสัญชาติหนึ่งเท่านั้น และหากคุณอยากได้สัญชาติอังกฤษ เพื่อให้คุณได้รับประโยชน์อะไรก็ตามจากการเป็นคนสัญชาติอังกฤษ คุณก็สามารถแจ้งความจำนงสละสัญชาติไทยเพื่อให้ได้สัญชาติอังกฤษได้ แต่ถ้ากม. อังกฤษอนุญาตให้คุณถือได้ 2 สัญชาติ ก็ไม่มีปัญหา อย่างไรก็ตาม โปรดตรวจสอบกม.อังกฤษเกี่ยวกับเรื่องสัญชาติว่ากำหนดในเรื่องดังกล่าวไว้ว่าอย่างไรอีกครั้ง โดยอาจสอบถามจากสามีคุณเองหรือจากสถานทูตอังกฤษ

I've obviously underlined the appropriate bit for emphasis.

I must state (to be fair to coventry) that there is a disclaimer at the top of the link you provided. Although posted on the minstry of foreign affairs site, this advice is only by a mere 'expert', and does not represent fully the RTG and MFA.

Coventry, you have my sympathy. You have been told that not everything you read on the worldwide web is necessarily true. This can be painful, I know.

Now, back to your original statement in this topic that Thailand does not recognise dual nationality, and follow-up posts of yours repeating this:

In Thai law, dual nationality isn't recognised and at the age of 18 one has to decide one way or the other on their nationality. So I believe.
...Thailand doesn't recognise dual nationality...

The Thai Embassy, consular section in Washington DC states that Thailand does not recognise dual nationality...

At last, you make reference to Thailand’s Nationality Act, a document that surely can be trusted. Apparently you have spoken with the Deputy Director General, Consular Affairs Department but you you don't believe that what he told you is quite true according to the law:

...The Deputy Director-General, Consular Affairs Dep't says "the child will still hold Thai nationality". He says that but if you read Thailands Nationality Act of july, B.E.2508 section 17 it can be taken away from you. There are 4 clauses which nationality can be withdrawn. Clause 2:-" There is evidence to show that he makes use of the nationality of his father or....." By using Dual nationality this breeches this clause. Also please pay attention to clause 1 and the 5 year rule...

I happen to have this link to an English translation of the Nationality Act. I think that this translation is trustworthy but in case of doubt one should refer to the original Thai text published in the Government Gazette. You quoted a few words from Section 17 of the Nationality Act but I am now going to waste some space on ThaiVisa’s server and quote the entire Section 17:

Section 17. With respect to a person who has Thai nationality, by reason of his having been born within the Thai Kingdom of an alien father, his Thai nationality may be revoked if it appears that:

(1) He has resided in a foreign country, of which his father has or used to have nationality, for a consecutive period of more than five years as from the day of his becoming sui juris;

(2) There is evidence to show that he makes use of the nationality of his father or of a foreign nationality, or that he has an active interest in the nationality of his father or in a foreign nationality;

(3) He commits any act prejudicial to the security or conflicting with the interests of the State, or amounting to an insult to the nation;

(4) He commits any act contrary to public order or good morals.

The Minister in the event of (1) or (2), and the Court in the event of (3) or (4) and upon request of the public prosecutor, shall order the revocation of Thai nationality.

Now let us go back to your first post in this topic. From what part in Section 17 or any other part of the Nationality Act can one possibly conclude that “in Thai law, dual nationality isn't recognized”. The fact that the law says that “with respect to a person who has Thai nationality, by reason of his having been born within the Thai Kingdom of an alien father, his Thai nationality may be revoked” under certain circumstances most certainly does not mean that Thai law a priori does not allow dual nationality.

Let me ask you this question: do you know as a documented fact that the Minister of Interior or a competent court has routinely revoked the Thai nationality of persons meeting the criteria of clauses 1-4 of Section 17 of the Nationality Act? Do you know of a documented case of even one single case?

--

Maestro

• 3 weeks later...
A point to note is, the father here can only pass on his British Citizenship if he himself is 'British Other than by Descent' - that is only if the father was himself born in the UK to parents who had legal residence at the time of his birth.

Please do check, but I think you will find that the parent can only *AUTOMATICALLY* pass on British Citizenship if he himself is 'British Other than by Descent'. For the next generation, you can apply for UK citizenship, but the child may or may not get it. In other words, if Granddad was born in the UK, Dad was born and resident in Thailand (Thai, and British by Descent), then baby born in Thailand (with a Thai mother, say) may still apply for UK citizenship, and may get it. It's not an automatic right any more. This was the case with some members of my family.