Speak English Or You Can't Play Soccer

marshbags

Speak English or you can't play soccer

Date: 08 May 2008, Sheffield Star

By Mark Hookham

FUTURE football stars could be barred from donning a South Yorkshire club strip if they can't speak good enough English.

A new government ruling means all skilled migrant workers from non-EU countries will be expected to get by in English before they are granted permission to work.

Potential soccer signings from South America, Africa or the Far East will have to pasADVERTISEMENTs a language test, with everyday phrases and simple conversation.

That could spell trouble for football clubs like Barnsley FC, now South Yorkshire's most cosmopolitan squad.

The Reds have four non-EU players from Brazil, Nigeria and Peru: Anderson de Silva, Dennis Souza, Kayode Odejayi and Miguel Mostto. They might have been barred if the new rules had applied.

Club spokesman Rob Knowles said: "When Miguel came to us he couldn't speak a word of English, but after six months he can get by,

"Players in the past have always been granted permits on purely footballing reasons. Miguel, for example, is a full international.

"If players have to pass language tests it could cause clubs problems. Dennis Souza is helpful to us as he speaks four languages, including English. We're not always sure he's translating exactly what is being said, but he does a good job!"

A Home Office document says all skilled migrant workers from non-EU countries will be expected to 'understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases, to introduce themselves and others, and ask and answer questions about basic personal details.'

The test, part of an Aussie-style points system, should cut the number of immigrants by about 20,000 a year.

Ministers will exempt athletes in one-off events, like the London Marathon and Wimbledon, or performers at festivals like Glastonbury.

Unquote.

While i realise this refers to my local area, the implications not only for players but coaches ect. can be about to unleash many problems, especially in the Premier league, next season and onwards.

marshbags.

Considering that some of the British born players have difficulty stringing a coherent sentence together, does this mean that they will be affected by this as well? :o

As for owners, I'm doubtful if Toxin would meet the criteria. :D

This ruling is coming in for everyone, footballers shouldn't be exempt just because they are superstars. So it's fair enough as far as i'm concerned.

Well, they should have enough spare time and spare cash to learn the language. I'm interested at what IELTS band they will require though. For Nursing in the UK it used to be 3.5 which IMO is too low.

'

INHO Alex Ferguson is the world's greatest Manager/Coach

..but when inteviewed the man needs subtitles......... :o

............................ I cn nooo unrstan wa the ffooker is sayin mun......... :D

'

............................ I cn nooo unrstan wa the ffooker is sayin mun......... :D

As for scousers :D !!!

Whilst I can see the arguments that people should speak the language, I think certain exceptions should be made. I can think of one or two world class footballers who can't speak English, so now they can't ply there trade? It's not as if these players are going to be signing on for benefits or claiming a council house is it? It's another example sadly, of Labours botched immigration policies.

Toady, my Mrs hasn't claimed any benefits and we don't need a council house but she will still have to do the test. Why should they get a concession just because they can kick a ball ? The only concession i think should be made, is for foreigners who are investing in this country and creating jobs.

Toady, my Mrs hasn't claimed any benefits and we don't need a council house but she will still have to do the test. Why should they get a concession just because they can kick a ball ? The only concession i think should be made, is for foreigners who are investing in this country and creating jobs.

MrBoj, I think you have just validated what I was trying to say. This is really a result of botched immigration policies. Anyway, enough of politics in the football forum. :o

Anyway, enough of politics in the football forum. :D

Absolutely :D

While i realise there is a serious side to this, i would like to offer my apologies for allowing politics to enter into the Forum via this thread.

When i posted it, i was thinking of all the English who speak with a local dialect up and down the country who find it difficult to communicate, never mind the immigrants.

I nearly added a bit of self extracting the urine but didn,t, i wish i had now on reflection.

For instance thus nowt more non " English " as viewed by the snobs of the national language then were i got the article from..

The Sheffield Star and us Yorkies.

I expected a few observations along this line to be possibly highlighted in a light hearted way.

Indeed Manchunions, Scouses, Geordies ect. ect. come to mind.

I was also triggered into casting my mind back to when i was in the Army and all the different dialects we had between us then.

We used to extract the urine out of each others sayings ect, and exagerate them to the extreme.

Happy times and loads of laughs, while appreciating each others more relevant qualities, comradeship, friendship and a profound loyalty to not only each other, but our beloved Union Jack, which at the time was the reason we were all bundled together in the first instance.

Incidently it was at this time that we became aware of the vast amount of football supporters of every club you could think of, especially the lesser know ones.

You two remind me of all these mates i was blessed with while in the services, along with an obvious respect for each others local football club.

The football forum represents all this and more, i am happy to say, credit were it is due as for as i am concerned to all members who make it what it is.

marshbags, still a proud Owls supporter. :o

P.S.

The old bum had to be nipped a few times on the run in, i can tell you. :D at the time

Army wise...........

I can still visualise mates of so many clubs when a team comes to the fore, even after 40 years

God bless them all, wherever they are today, if i might be allowed to say so.

Edited by marshbags

This ruling is coming in for everyone, footballers shouldn't be exempt just because they are superstars. So it's fair enough as far as i'm concerned.

id let em do what there best at muggin and rape. look at the stats in the UK, LEAVE EM THERE AND IM HAPPY IN THE LAND OF SMILES :o i left my country 2 get away from em : thais have the right idea thailand is for thais if ur farang pay ur way, i do

While i realise there is a serious side to this, i would like to offer my apologies for allowing politics to enter into the Forum via this thread.

When i posted it, i was thinking of all the English who speak with a local dialect up and down the country who find it difficult to communicate, never mind the immigrants.

I nearly added a bit of self extracting the urine but didn,t, i wish i had now on reflection.

Marshbags, it was indeed my fault for putting a political slant on it. It is a serious issue, and one wonders how it will be implemented and what the ramifications of the ruling are? As for dialects and accents, I still have difficulty understanding some of those north of the border. :o

Edited by mrtoad

..but when inteviewed the man needs subtitles......... :D

OK i will translate when they lose, he is saying that "youll never get a penaty against the home team at this ground" "the referees was biased and shouldnt ref anymore of our games as we like to handpick our ref's" "there should have been an extra 25 minutes injury time so we can win" and other times he tries to play stupid mind games the press told him he is great at but no footballer cares about or like yourself cant understand.

Wenger is a better Manager/Coach given his budget.

:o

Ferguson doesn't need to prove anything, he's got the big budget from the hard work he put in a longtime ago. Don't forget he's worked at the lower levels with East Stirlingshire and St Mirren with little or no budget, and got good results. He also crafted a very good Aberdeen side which won the UEFA cup (when it meant something).

United have also produced some great British players through the youth system, who have preformed when it really matters. I don't buy into the story that either is any better than the other, the proof is in the pudding and Ferguson has produced when it counts.

No disrespect, I think Wegner is a great manager, but if we were to compare at this point in time in 20- 50 years time, Ferguson will be remebered as a far better manager. As for coaching, Steve McClaren is a great coach, but a <deleted> manager. :D

We are in essence comparing apples to oranges, and we will not see Fergusons type for a longtime.

P.S. All of the managers/coaches try to play mind games. Some are just better than others. :D

P.P.S what the <deleted> has this got to do with the thread :D

Edited by mrtoad

OK i will translate when they lose, he is saying that "youll never get a penaty against the home team at this ground" "the referees was biased and shouldnt ref anymore of our games as we like to handpick our ref's" "there should have been an extra 25 minutes injury time so we can win" and other times he tries to play stupid mind games the press told him he is great at but no footballer cares about or like yourself cant understand.

Wenger is a better Manager/Coach given his budget.

Hi bigfatpig,

I was merely having a friendly poke at the manager of the football team that I have followed & supported for over 50 years. As this thread is about the speaking of English in English Football today I thought it might be of humourous interest to point out S.A.F's heavy Scottish accent, you seemed to want to take this point further and develope it into who is the best manager in the E.P.L. I would therefore suggest you start the appropriate thread and leave this thread to the O.P. 's wishes of discussing the pro's & cons of limiting the speaking of English in English Football.

I will go off and start the thread about who was the greatest poet and whether Robbie Burns produced a far greater poem than did Sir Walter Scott (or in this case pehaps Victor Hugo - your champion perhaps ?)

Twas all in jest............. :D

but let me please underline the fact that there is a place in football as there is a place everywhere in the world, whether they speak English or Erdu, in entertaining excellence.

Speak English or you can't play soccer

Date: 08 May 2008, Sheffield Star

By Mark Hookham

FUTURE football stars could be barred from donning a South Yorkshire club strip if they can't speak good enough English.

A new government ruling means all skilled migrant workers from non-EU countries will be expected to get by in English before they are granted permission to work.

Potential soccer signings from South America, Africa or the Far East will have to pasADVERTISEMENTs a language test, with everyday phrases and simple conversation.

That could spell trouble for football clubs like Barnsley FC, now South Yorkshire's most cosmopolitan squad.

The Reds have four non-EU players from Brazil, Nigeria and Peru: Anderson de Silva, Dennis Souza, Kayode Odejayi and Miguel Mostto. They might have been barred if the new rules had applied.

Club spokesman Rob Knowles said: "When Miguel came to us he couldn't speak a word of English, but after six months he can get by,

"Players in the past have always been granted permits on purely footballing reasons. Miguel, for example, is a full international.

"If players have to pass language tests it could cause clubs problems. Dennis Souza is helpful to us as he speaks four languages, including English. We're not always sure he's translating exactly what is being said, but he does a good job!"

A Home Office document says all skilled migrant workers from non-EU countries will be expected to 'understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases, to introduce themselves and others, and ask and answer questions about basic personal details.'

The test, part of an Aussie-style points system, should cut the number of immigrants by about 20,000 a year.

Ministers will exempt athletes in one-off events, like the London Marathon and Wimbledon, or performers at festivals like Glastonbury.

Unquote.

While i realise this refers to my local area, the implications not only for players but coaches ect. can be about to unleash many problems, especially in the Premier league, next season and onwards.

marshbags.

It is called football because basically you kick the ball with you foot. When and where did this strange word ''soccer'' first originate?