How Have You Changed?

2long

I've been here nearly 20 years, came as a young adult. So, naturally I have changed, anyone would (or should anyway) as they progressed from young adult to hopefully responsible adult. :o

But, I have learned patience, to not have to do something all the time, and the final and difficult understanding that sometimes mai pen rai is all you can do about a problem. Hopefully, I haven't adopted that attitude towards everything, but sometimes it really doesn't make any difference at all getting worked up about something that no amount of effort will ever change (like the weather, or politics, or the inability of some people to not stop in front of the escalator for instance).

Upon arrival here five years ago, I never imagined I would be using the toilet with water and my left hand.

The gecko is my friend.

I can split lanes on my motorcycle with skill and ease, but it was illegal and unthinkable back home.

I no longer have to pretend that my special friend is my cousin's adopted son from Southeast Asia.

It is normal to ride my bike in sandals.

I swapped hands many times BEFORE coming here.

"

Still not used to motorbikes driving the wrong way down the sidewalk, and honking at me to get out of the way, but taking it day by day.

"

Bless you, lucky man ...

On Thai highways (2+2 lanes physically separated) you have pickups and lorrys coming in the wrong direction because the drivers are too lazy to drive a few hundred meters to make a u-turn. Even after dark with no ligths whatsoever turned on.

The only reason i don't leave this country is because I was stupid enough to get a child here.

A friend of mine who is also stucked on the second stage (see posts over) says: May be I will live here for the rest of my life. But I will not die here - I will be killed here.

Edited by philo

One thing that has changed for me, and it is something which disturbs me, is that my command of my native English has reduced. When I visit England I often catch myself speaking to other English people in the kind of abreviated English that we tend to use over here. What in Singapore is referred to as "Singlish". Sometimes makes me feel a bit of a fool speaking like that in England.