Cat Shelters In Chiang Mai

sylviex

Of course it's always best if we can find good homes for dumped kittens and cats in need of care, but failing that, where can people take felines in CM ?

Any shelters for cats ?

Please share any information you have, with addresses and contact details if possible.

There are several organisations and private people who take care of strays, although mostly take care of homeless dogs.

The most well-known under the foreigners is Lanna Dog Rescue (www.lannadog.net) and Care for Dogs (www.carefordogs.org). Unfortunately, the circumstances are such that both their shelters are overfull with dogs, and often cats as well, waiting for new homes.

You can try to contact them, but I won't be surprised if their answer will be if you can provide care (food, vaccination, and if necessary medical care) for them yourself and as soon as possible spay and neuter them. In that way, at least they can't reproduce anymore, which is the biggest problem. You can also put ad's up.

With this answer I definitely don't want to discourage you. It's just that there are too many strays. And many people contact the rescue organisations for help, whether that's financial help or to leave the strays at the shelter.

Sterilization is the answer to this stray animal problem.

Nienke

If you are truly stuck for where to take cats (but best only as a last resort), then (as the Thai do) you can take to a temple. Wat PaPao is the only temple I know of and would recommend as they have only cats (no dogs) and are reasonably well looked after (but obviously they can only do so much). But please..if you have time and/or money, the cats at Wat PaPao always need food and some attention. A big bag of dried cat food can be bought from Macro (the best value), I take two large bags for them roughly every two weeks, but obviously its not enough. At the moment all the cats are in good health, but regular donations of frontline flea treatment (get the bigger one ment for dogs..they already have a weigh chart for the cats and can measure out the dosage with a syringe). Also, as nienke has said, sterilization is so very very important. At present no sterilization programme is in place for Wat PaPao (only the goverment giving injections to the cats every year, but its not enough..). Ask for Khun Dii (although hes not there 24/7)

If you are truly stuck for where to take cats (but best only as a last resort), then (as the Thai do) you can take to a temple. Wat PaPao is the only temple I know of and would recommend as they have only cats (no dogs) and are reasonably well looked after

Where is Wat PaPao? I like both cats and dogs, but hardly anyone is taking care of cats.

Great!

watpapaohi5.jpg

Most of the cats 'hang out' away from the main temple area at Wat Pa Pao. When you go through the main entrance at the Wat, turn left at the food stall area and keep walking up. You should notice an old wooden building to you right with steps leading up. This is the cat feeding area and where they like to chill in the sunshine. Some very cute kittens around at the moment too.

If you are not sure where I mean, there are lots of young monk boys around who would be happy to show you. :o

We brought two bags today and the man who takes care of the cats said that he had run out of food yesterday and he didn't know what to do.

It is 325 baht for one big bag of dry food at Mackro and there are about 20 cats including some kittens.

I will keep bringing them food when I can, but if anyone wants to help, but doesn't have time to go to the Wat, please drop off packaged cat food at the main branch of Gecko Books near Thapae Gate (or any branch) and we will make sure that it gets there. :o

That's a very nice thing to do, UG!

Thumbs up to you and Eek. :o

Nienke

Ditto.

Over time, perhaps a sterilization program of some kind can be put in place. As has been mentioned, this is critical. It really just requires money and time, neither in great quantities, as well as someone to oversee things (and it seems there may be such a person at the Wat already).

We brought two bags today and the man who takes care of the cats said that he had run out of food yesterday and he didn't know what to do.

It is 325 baht for one big bag of dry food at Mackro and there are about 20 cats including some kittens.

I will keep bringing them food when I can, but if anyone wants to help, but doesn't have time to go to the Wat, please drop off packaged cat food at the main branch of Gecko Books near Thapae Gate (or any branch) and we will make sure that it gets there. :o

Thats wonderful UG!!! :D

That's a very nice thing to do, UG!

Thumbs up to you and Eek. :o

Nienke

Ditto.

Over time, perhaps a sterilization program of some kind can be put in place. As has been mentioned, this is critical. It really just requires money and time, neither in great quantities, as well as someone to oversee things (and it seems there may be such a person at the Wat already).

Hi sylviex, ive already been working on a sterilization programe with Care For Dogs. Just need to finalize some things. Im very grateful to Care For Dogs in their support in this. Of course, if anyone else can also get involved or provide support it would be most welcomed at the Wat. As stated before food as well as flea treatment is always needed. :D

Edited by eek

Well done eek, thats brilliant what you are doing there, especially for sticking with it despite all the odds.

Great to see some help in the guise of food donations going there too. 1 bag per 10 people per week would go a long way. Just think what could happen if Tesco's had trolleys in front of checkouts awaiting donations of Cat & Dog food. Oh silly me, dreaming again.

Take care

Ally

Hi sylviex, ive already been working on a sterilization programe with Care For Dogs. Just need to finalize some things.

Eek, that's excellent. Be sure to post details here of how we can help and participate when all's ready.

Perhaps some other animal-friendly shops/businesses will offer to accept donations of food/medicines/money for sterilization :o .