Bangkok Traffic....

richard_smith237

Triggered by another thread where it was mentioned that Bangkok traffic is the worst in the world.. later in the thread to be corrected to 3rd place after Cairo and Karachi, Bangkok’s traffic; while at times suffers appalling gridlock, but I would suggest that it’s my no means the worst in the world...

Fortunately Bangkok has the Expressway system which offers a (95% of the time) fast flowing artery from one side of the city to another.

#1) As a starting point, I’d rate the following cities worse than Bangkok when it comes to traffic Jams....

Manila.

Jakarta.

Ho Chi Min City.

Rome.

Mumbai.

Kolkata

Dhaka

Dubai (Based on reputation, not sure if it’s worse)...

#2) What traffic calming measures would you think could work in Bangkok ?

Personally I would like to see the traffic system modernised. I believe that it would take years to re-educate the wheeled population to use islands successfully so I think more islands are not a solution.

I do believe that running the traffic lights on a computerised system so that the whole network of lights and roads move intelligently to maximize flow, reduce stationary traffic, therefore reducing gridlock would offer a huge improvement. I have heard rumours (unsubstantiated) that this has been attempted, but the computerised boxes were sabotaged by ‘some people’ in the manned booths as they though this new computer would take their job....

I believe that one immediate fix would be for the lights to change more frequently which might assist in reducing grid lock...

too many cars and not enough roads in bkk , too many blind ending sois and few short cuts and alternative routes.

the public transport system is good in bkk , no shortage of buses , minibuses , motorcycle taxis and public transport up and down the sois.

some huge carparks built at strategic points linking up with bus services etc. in the suburbs and a rigidly enforced and expensive road pricing system (like the london congestion charge) would ease things up tremendously. income from this to fund improvements in public transport. concessions for workers who really do need to get into bkk every day.

considering what they have to deal with , the police do a remarkably good job of keeping things moving in bkk.

A regular, smallish car like Toyota Vios, would travel 520-550km on 1 tank.

In BKK, it is more like 220-230km per tank. Sitting and burning the fuel in traffic jams.

Over last 2 weeks, our whole family was in the car for 4-6 hours a day. Eating, sleeping, singing, drawing kiddies books...we just needed a toilet.

True, there were many embassy and government sites visits but still.

U-Turns are a major problem here, especially when they lead into major/fast roads. However it's too late to fix that problem unfortunately...

Edited by ashacat

IMO the first thing that needs to happen here is a reduction in the number of cars and other vehilces using the road 'system' (note the '*').

Two options exist:

The authorities could smack a really high road tax for vehicles entering Bangkok proper on a regular basis. This could be achieved with (yet another) colour code for registration plates and numbers. No-one is going to leave their favourite status symbol at home in the car=port they need to be seen in it and be driving it. I would slam a 100K tax on all vehicles to dissuade entry in favour the public transport options. Companies wouldn't mind as it would just be an expense to be written off against the annual corporate tax returns. Taxis of course should be exempt.

Another option which is already working well in Hong Kong (so i've heard) is to discourage building owners from providing too many car parking spaces in their edifices thus almost forcing the building's populace to leave the car at home and take the bus/tube/walk/MRT/BTS. In Bangkok the mandatory requirement for providing car parking spaces in new buildings is way, awy too high but without it one cannot obtain the planning approval necessary to build the thing in the first place. Cutting down would not only force more to leave the car at home, it would also lessen the effect we are having on the already sensitive environment, improve the economy and make buildings more efficient, cheaper and better (not to mention my blood pressure).

Just opining you understand

AjarnP

I do believe that running the traffic lights on a computerised system so that the whole network of lights and roads move intelligently to maximize flow, reduce stationary traffic, therefore reducing gridlock would offer a huge improvement. I have heard rumours (unsubstantiated) that this has been attempted, but the computerised boxes were sabotaged by 'some people' in the manned booths as they though this new computer would take their job....

I believe that one immediate fix would be for the lights to change more frequently which might assist in reducing grid lock...

A computerized system was attempted a number of years ago. I doubt that it was deliberately sabotaged but I seem to remember that its initial use it actually caused more problems in peak hours, leading to it being turned off. I don't know if the system wasn't intelligent enough or just not given a real chance to work, but I'm sure a lot of money was blown on that project.

I would say that in general the traffic situation is much better now than 10-15 years ago. And my own journey to work from Samutprakan into town has improved significantly in the last few months, since the opening of the last section of the Kanjanapisek Road (Ring Road). I don't use it but it's taken a lot of traffic off the road I do use, especially lorries, and my journey time has improved by around 15-20 minutes.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I would say that in general the traffic situation now is much better now than 10-15 years ago. And my own journey to work from Samutprakan into town has improved significantly in the last few months, since the opening of the last section of the Kanjanapisek Road (Ring Road). I don't use it but it's taken a lot of traffic off the road I do use, especially lorries, and my journey time has improved by around 15-20 minutes.

I agree. I lived in Samut Prakan in 97-98 and it was definitely worse then.

QUOTE (KhaoNiaw @ 2008-05-10 11:15:05)

I would say that in general the traffic situation now is much better now than 10-15 years ago. And my own journey to work from Samutprakan into town has improved significantly in the last few months, since the opening of the last section of the Kanjanapisek Road (Ring Road). I don't use it but it's taken a lot of traffic off the road I do use, especially lorries, and my journey time has improved by around 15-20 minutes.

I agree. I lived in Samut Prakan in 97-98 and it was definitely worse then.

Yeah, it's definately better, if you know your route and plan it fairly carefully you would be unlucky to get stuck for any length of time. Hopefully with the new sky train routs it will get better again...

IMO the first thing that needs to happen here is a reduction in the number of cars and other vehilces using the road 'system' (note the '*').

Two options exist:

The authorities could smack a really high road tax for vehicles entering Bangkok proper on a regular basis. This could be achieved with (yet another) colour code for registration plates and numbers. No-one is going to leave their favourite status symbol at home in the car=port they need to be seen in it and be driving it. I would slam a 100K tax on all vehicles to dissuade entry in favour the public transport options. Companies wouldn't mind as it would just be an expense to be written off against the annual corporate tax returns. Taxis of course should be exempt.

Another option which is already working well in Hong Kong (so i've heard) is to discourage building owners from providing too many car parking spaces in their edifices thus almost forcing the building's populace to leave the car at home and take the bus/tube/walk/MRT/BTS. In Bangkok the mandatory requirement for providing car parking spaces in new buildings is way, awy too high but without it one cannot obtain the planning approval necessary to build the thing in the first place. Cutting down would not only force more to leave the car at home, it would also lessen the effect we are having on the already sensitive environment, improve the economy and make buildings more efficient, cheaper and better (not to mention my blood pressure).

Just opining you understand

AjarnP

Agree with most of it.

The extra 100K would probably not have any effect, since a Thai would just borrow an extra 100K from the bank anyway.

They want their cars, nomatter what price.

I think the tax should come from the daily use. Put on a fuel tax for the regular users (not public transport, taxis, or trailers).

The tax can be marked for usage within the road system, or environmental issues.

Make a priority to extend the MRT/BTS lines, so they reach more people outside the city centers.

I live near Major Cineplex in Chatujak (Ratchayothin area). There are probably 500 000 people in the distric that need to take a taxi/bus through the bottle neck by Central Plaza in order to get to the nearest MRT/BTS station.

#1) As a starting point, I'd rate the following cities worse than Bangkok when it comes to traffic Jams....

Manila.

Yeah, i second that! I hear people and often tourists complain about thai-drivers and bangkok traffic, but compared to manila its no comparison.

Ive never come across worse drivers than in manila. They stop and go, fumble with the gears, cant keep a line and is generally shitty. Add to that the lack of traffic signals and youve got one hel_l of a mess. Also the only way into the main business district is a small road that is ALWAYS blocked up.

And somehow, you should think that all of this traffic would inspire someone to drive motobike taxis? Not so! Not a single one!

Yeah, traffic in Bangkok isnt that bad. At worst you can get a motocyc to take you anywhere for 100-150 baht if you need to.

But they really need to connect the Banglamphu area to the BTS/MRT somehow, but maybe the Kaosan taxi mafia has more power than you think :o

The mistake was when they let cars go on the toll fee paying roads (elevated roads). After this period, people bought too many cars.

Elevated roads should be used for trains, skytrains and buses only.

When being stuck forever on ground floor, no one would want to drive their own cars.

I lovebangkok traffic, its the only time of day that I get peace and quite, I listen to my music, have aircon on and just go with the flow.

Thank you onnut. I am going to try that out. After a number of years, I have broken down and bought a car, mainly because I divide my time between Bangkok and Pattaya. I really didn't need one here in Bkk but the baht buses in Pattaya have convinced me a car is necessary for my sanity.

Absolutely. I live in a highrise on Sathorn Rd. and can see the effect of TEN MINUTE red lights on traffic flow. When I first moved to this condo, I would occasionally look at the road below and see no cars and it was 5 p.m.! I thought maybe another coup occurred. But it was the red lights. A few minutes later the traffic was backed up from Saphan Taksin to Rama IV with gridlock at intersecting streets (Chong Nonsi, Soi Convent, etc.).

In 1985-93 it was terrible but I find Bangkok a pleasure to drive in these days. Rama IV is slow during rush hour and a few other places but if you know your way around it is fine. The expressways are as good as cities anywhere.

Edited by clausewitz

a simple improvement would be to impose a 100 baht tax per parking space used. At present it is far too cheap to park your car here, making the decision to drive in a very easy one.

There should also be more park and rides related to the BTS and underground.

Can't wait for the bus rapid transit thing through. It was an idea from Columbia if I recall. If it works well, I think you 'll see alot more BRTs in future.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps enforcing various traffic laws – if any exist – might bring about a change in actions e.g. “no left turn” “no U turn.” Couldn’t it be beneficial if there were more traffic lights which were coordinated? I have repeatedly viewed traffic waiting almost twenty minutes for a red light to change. Then the other road might be allowed to proceed for 2 minutes. LOL still can not understand the logistics in that. And it appears that a policeman was in charge of the light. Wouldn’t a steady 2-3 minute go/stop be more beneficial and predictable? And how often are the lane / road lines ignored e.g. making a left turn from the right hand lane where it clearly shows left hand turn from only one lane. I have seen people in BKK deliberately and blatantly ignore traffic lights and with the police watching. These all add to traffic problems – in my view.

A little off topic, but still about roads. When I am walking around Bangkok, I do like the "count down" traffic lights. At least it gives me a fighting chance of getting across the raod. There can be very nearly nothing more terrifying than getting half-way across a 6 lane road when the lights go green!

the public transport system is good in bkk

I beg to disagree. BTS is prohibitive. Cheaper in Singapore. How many normal Thais can offord riding it? - not many!

Buses: noisy, crowded and very uncomfortable.

I travel around in taxis most of the time. Occasionally use the BTS or MRT but never use those crowded buses!

Taxis are still cheap and plentiful.

15 years ago, by the way, the traffic was a lot worse imo. Especially on Asoke, which was back then one big construction site and Sukhumvit as well. Lots of constrcution going on there as well at the time with the construction of Benjisiri park, the Emporium etc.