List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

Went there today. 

We were the only customers.. 

Ambiance unimportant given the circumstances. 

Brisket and ribs superlative. 

Oregon Rogue draft was goo.gl but we emailed the boss in Bangkok and suggested an IPA that was better and cheaper cheaper. 

?

Went there yesterday. Very good bbq. For being on this side of Wacos, it was the best. Some observations: tiny cup of bbq sauce. All bbq joints in Texas (as they mention Texas style bbq), you get different variations of bbq sauce at your tables back home. The beef brisket was very fatty but edible.

We will be going back. 

• 2 weeks later...

Major let-down at the Hogfather!

A.)  I was on my own and had the combo; what should have been pulled pork was diced pork off-cuts, looking and tasting nothing like pulled pork. 

B.) I saw the "chef" put tin foil on the bbq and then warm up non-specific pork products in it. 

My only experience of real Texan bbq is being sent away because we didn't arrive in time and it was all gone.

I suppose you can't expect a Thai "USA BBQ" operation to cook everything as the customer arrives, but it's a bit of a con to warm up pre-cooked meat, isn't it? 

I have enjoyed two of my three visits, and the range of beers is good, and expensive. 

Comments? 

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommedation for a salad bar buffet in the Kata/Karon/Chalong areas ?  Years ago I used to go to the Karon Cafe which had an excellent salad bar .... but parking became a nightmare and I stopped going .... anywhere else .... with nearby car parking .... thanks. 

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Highly over rated in MHO. And over priced.

Edit ... and I had dined there, but just the once.

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

Royal Thai cuisine.....don't get me started! 

I'm not a cheap Charlie but we went to Baan Rim Pa, had a G&T, looked at the menu and left. In value for money terms terms it felt like being raped! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20.7.2011 at 1:50 PM, KarenBravo said:

Time to mention The Red Onion in Karon again.

Excellent Thai food at a reasonable price with excellent service.

The only restaurant I know in Phuket that is full every night of the year.

Red Onion has moved to Kata Beach, find it in Taina Road, from Makro down to the beach on the left hand side.

Red Onion Umzug.jpg

3 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

Red Onion has moved to Kata Beach, find it in Taina Road, from Makro down to the beach on the left hand side.

Red Onion Umzug.jpg

Yes, I heard a raise in the rent came up of a few thousand Baht. I'm afraid they're going to lose more than that though, not a smart move IMO.

I have a recommendation for anyone who likes Chinese dim sum (not Thai) and handmade noodles:

On Chao Far West, directly opposite the Honda offices, at the junction with traffic lights and the 4010 Road to Kathu.

It's called the "MO Din"     https://goo.gl/maps/xgRBPDqM2AC2

There is a small menu but some very good dishes. The noodles are actually made in front of you, They do soup dumplings (Xiao Long Bao), steamed pork buns, fried dumplings and four noodle dishes, two of them with mouth-numbing Szechuan pepper.

I recommend everything except the weird, sponge cake type stuff which just doesn't look like it's worth the calories. It might be great, I don't know.

And.....it's very cheap!  I had a great lunch for 220 THB.

Enjoy!   :biggrin:

Thai dim sum (1).jpg

Thai dim sum (2).jpg

Thai dim sum (5).jpg

Thai dim sum (6).jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Backside Bistro on Nanai Road in Patong - a place that seems to do everything right, at bargain prices.

They offer a wide range of food (Thai, pasta, pizza, burgers, steaks, etc), with great service from the two servers who speak excellent English. I don't know how long they'll be able to maintain the current pricing, but to say it's a bargain is an understatement. All Thai food is 59 baht, and includes a bowl of soup and a side salad with incredibly fresh greens, as well as coffee or tea. Pasta dishes are 99 baht, pizza ranges from about 150-195 baht, with burgers + fries at around 150 baht. Current specials are all local beer at 59 baht, cocktails at 69 baht and any burger or pizza and a Chang beer for 150 baht.

In the past week, we've eaten there about 5 or 6 times - both lunch and dinner and haven't been disappointed yet.  The ambience is so much better than similar restaurants. The seating is on a covered patio with new tables (with tablecloths!) and nice wicker patio chairs - a far cry from the typical metal table and cheap plastic chairs found at most places. I think it's Western-owned, with service to match (such as serving the food for all members of a party at the same time).

I think this little restaurant was formerly located a little further north on Nanai, but I never noticed it before. They've recently moved just a little south on Nanai, next to Jake's Bar in the space that previously housed an Italian restaurant (La Santa Teresa). There are a couple of larger, dingy Thai restaurants diagonally across the road, for which I think the end is near, as they've been completely devoid of customers and it appears there's no way they can or will compete.

Saw it when it was a little further south (a little south and opposite Da Moreno) and it always looked interesting and made a mental note to look in, but never did, then saw it had moved to the old Santa Theresa site, as you you said............will give it a try on your recommendation DrDave.

PS. Also called into a new Thai restaurant in Soi Tan (south end of new middle road) called Sweet Lemongrass and it is run by the owner of the Sweet Lemongrass massage places (real and excellent) and she is meticulous in all she does.

Looked at the food being served and it looked great......worth a try for Thai food lovers I would think.

Edited by xylophone
addition
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, grumpyoldman said:

Been a long time since Wine Connection got a write up, anyone going there these days?

Have been there a few times over the past months and I've always thought it to be good value for money.

They have revamped their menu a couple of times over the past year or so trying to keep up with trends and demographics I think, however still provide some good basic food such as their pastas and pizzas and I personally like the fish and chips.

A friend of mine is particularly fond of their Caesar salad, however I will say that the mixed platters could have a little bit more on them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2017 at 5:49 PM, DrDave said:

Backside Bistro on Nanai Road in Patong - a place that seems to do everything right, at bargain prices.

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't find it at first (new to the area) but I saw it by chance yesterday and it's less than a minute from our place. I opted for a cheeseburger and it was cooked to perfection. Absolutely fantastic!  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Doo Dee 2 in Patong - I've eaten here 4 or 5 times in the past few weeks. Just had lunch there again today - sweet and sour chicken, rice, omelette, and some amazing Vietnamese pork dumblings, all for 150 baht. Massive menu, quick service, decent food.

Autogrill in Kata - They do a really great club sandwich. Expensive though, at 300 baht. 

On 10/26/2017 at 4:06 AM, Timbob said:

Doo Dee 2 in Patong - I've eaten here 4 or 5 times in the past few weeks. Just had lunch there again today - sweet and sour chicken, rice, omelette, and some amazing Vietnamese pork dumblings, all for 150 baht. Massive menu, quick service, decent food.

Autogrill in Kata - They do a really great club sandwich. Expensive though, at 300 baht. 

Both DooDee restaurants on Sai Kor in Patong seem to be doing a good business.

I always found it interesting that the original restaurant (MooDee) in what is now DooDee2 couldn't make a go of it, while DooDee(1) just a few hundred feet down the road was going like gangbusters. MooDee's owners saw the writing on the wall after less than a year, and sold it on to someone else, who tried to make a go of it for just a couple of months before DooDee took it over as their second location.

What's especially nice about DooDee2 is that they enclosed the front of the restaurant, and installed aircon - very unusual for this type of place. Good food and reasonable prices in both locations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrDave said:

What's especially nice about DooDee2 is that they enclosed the front of the restaurant, and installed aircon - very unusual for this type of place. Good food and reasonable prices in both locations.

The first time we went here, we were actually meant to go to DooDee(1) - but it was heaving. We ended up in DooDee2. I've yet to go to DooDee(1) because it's always full, plus like you say, DooDee2 has aircon so what's the point.

Kallots restaurant on sai yuan rd in rawai, next door to Crystal waves diving and opposite the Supercheap store has a good range of western dishes all under 200 baht and Thai under 100 baht, we have been going there for breakfast mainly and sometimes lunch  for 5 years now and not been able to find anywhere better for price and quality of their food, very popular with long term local expats and has parking for vehicles 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

Kallots restaurant on sai yuan rd in rawai, next door to Crystal waves diving and opposite the Supercheap store has a good range of western dishes all under 200 baht and Thai under 100 baht, we have been going there for breakfast mainly and sometimes lunch  for 5 years now and not been able to find anywhere better for price and quality of their food, very popular with long term local expats and has parking for vehicles 

I agree, used to be a regular. Was always a longish drive for us but with the roundabout mess that even clutter all my sneaky short cuts  - just stopped going.