List Of Favourite Restaurants In Phuket

donna

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The Greek restaurant above the Safari club/opposite on the road from Patong to Karon is at last open. Not tried yet, but friends report the food is good, and the Thai staff are well trained by the Greek owner.

Went there the other night. Great food. Very quiet and difficult location for business though. They were passing out 10% off flyers in Patong, and that's why we went. I'm guessing you could go in there and say you forgot to bring your voucher and they'd give you the discount. I hope it lasts because it really is authentic great greek food.

I have been living in Phuket for 10 years. I probably have been to most restaurants in Kata. Those are my favorites:

For French food I go to Lionel in the "Grand Prix" (Thai Na Rd). I like the duck, the Potatoes, the Ratatouille, and "Tip" the waitress.

For steaks I go to Tony in the Coffee pot(Thai Na Rd). I like the porterhouse 400 gr and the Ice cold beer and Tony's Harley.

For Indian I go to "Khan Baba". (the one on Soi 7) I like the yellow dahl, lamb, and nan bread.

For Italian I go to Mario in the Capannina. (If there is not a long queue of people waiting for a table)

For a beautiful place, I go to "Sawasdee" ((Khet Kwan Rd)

For a romantic place I go to "Bella Vista" (not far from the Boathouse)

Roxy Bar : Burritos, Tacos, great Burgers and Traditional Turkish food. Great taste and prices 90 Baht - 100 Baht per dishes. Quite big portions. You'll be satisfied for sure. Near to Bangkok Bank and On On Hotel in Phuket Town.

Zurcher's: Swiss food and nice stakes. Really nice atmosphere. Friendly owner. Reasonable prices. Stake was around 180 Baht. On the corner of By Pass road on Chao Fa 2.

La Romantica: Nice and fresh Italian food. Pizza's are good. Decent portions and inexpensive at all. Pastas and spaghettis are really nice. A decent dinner cost you 300 Baht total approximately. Cheaper and maybe nicer than Salvatore's. Near to Roxy Bar in Phuket Town.

Although I live on Koh Samui, I can highly recommend the already mentioned Le Celtique which relocated to 'somehwere' in Rawai.

Another great little Thai place is on Rawai beach road is Mae Kai, there are a few like it in that area, this happened to be a good one although a few years back already.

Kan Eang at Chalong was also very good.

For pigging out on Japanese food I like Oishi with their all you can eat offer, inside Home Mart.

Some very tempting suggestions here, 'will definitely have to try some of them.

I don't see any mention of the pork ribs at Friendship Beach or any of the restaurants at the Royal Phuket Marina, which I would recommend. Great ambience/location with a variety of restaurants including Mom Tri's Regatta, Skipper's Bar & Restaurant, Les Anges, Limoncello's and Kampai (Japanese). Also, the Italian restaurant at Boat Lagoon is very good, as is La Gaetana in Phuket Town. Limoncello's at RPM is improving. I haven't tried the Watermark since Roberto took it over and converted that to Italian to compliment(?) Limoncello's. I would have thought that 3 Italian restaurants within the space of 200m was a bit much.

I love Thai food, so tend to eat that more often than western food, but most of the places I like to eat at don't really have names.

The Greek restaurant above the Safari club/opposite on the road from Patong to Karon is at last open. Not tried yet, but friends report the food is good, and the Thai staff are well trained by the Greek owner.

Went there the other night. Great food. Very quiet and difficult location for business though. They were passing out 10% off flyers in Patong, and that's why we went. I'm guessing you could go in there and say you forgot to bring your voucher and they'd give you the discount. I hope it lasts because it really is authentic great greek food.

]

Every time I've been past day or night it looked closed. Do you know their opening hours? Called Greek Islands Club isn't it?

Edited by phuketrex

Every time I've been past day or night it looked closed. Do you know their opening hours? Called Greek Islands Club isn't it?

Yup, I'm looking at one of their flyers right now. It says open 4PM to 2am. It's directly opposite the Buzz Club and Safari Club. You can just park alongside the road.

It's run by a couple of Greek guys, one of whom does not speak much English, and is authentic, but was very quiet the night we were there. We were the only table.

Drove past the other day and the place looks permanently closed.

Anyone know if it is still open, its opening times or its telephone number?

What date and time did you go Keemapoot?

Looking at the date of my original post, i guess we went there around the 7th or so. We arrived at about 9PM. Either they open late now, or maybe they've closed. As I said, there were no other customers the night we went, at least that I saw during that time. I just pulled out that flyer again. They list a telephone number as 07 629 2936. It should read 076.92936. Let us know what you find out, I would like to go back again.

Drove past the other day and the place looks permanently closed.

Anyone know if it is still open, its opening times or its telephone number?

What date and time did you go Keemapoot?

Looking at the date of my original post, i guess we went there around the 7th or so. We arrived at about 9PM. Either they open late now, or maybe they've closed. As I said, there were no other customers the night we went, at least that I saw during that time. I just pulled out that flyer again. They list a telephone number as 07 629 2936. It should read 076.92936. Let us know what you find out, I would like to go back again.

OK popped along there today and spoke with the two owners.

They open at 4pm and close whatever time they feel like it which is probably early if they havent got any customers.

Menu seemed OK and I will report back when I have tried out their food with a few friends in the next few days as I consider myself somewhat of an exepert on Greek food.

Their telephone number is: 07 629 2936

OK Went with a few friends on Sunday night to The Greek Islands Club Restaurant opposite Safari.

Was a little disappointed that they served normal bread instead of pitta bread but definitely enjoyed what we ate which was a selection of various dishes all of which were very tasty and palatable.

Will most likely go again but the location is poor and it is difficult to envisage how they are going to cover expenses and get enough customers where they are to be found to keep the business afloat so I can only hope enough of you go along to keep the place alive for some time to come.

Edited by SmellLover

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried Patong Bakery (Baan Kanoom) just near Chalong Circle & almost opposite the police station. Their Thai food is very tasty, not too expensive & one can dine inside, for the non smokers, or outside.

You're joking right? I feel sorry for these guys. The 'outside' part of the restaurant is diabolical. i dont know who was there first - the restaurant or the food vendor/market stalls but basically no passing trade can see this restaurant cos of the food vendors. I happened to sit outside and there is no view as you're almost sat inside the fruit sellers stall, and it's fly-blown cos of the fruit i guess.

I had a breakfast there a couple of times. It was pants. Microwaved runny scrambled eggs and microwave chipolata sausages.

There are a million better restaurants than this. Really. There are.

Coconut Twins, a little further along is better, cleaner, with inexpensive food in a brand new restaurant.

An' you can 'ave a fag inside too, cos it's not air-con.

Simple Thai food starts from 40 baht for a plate of rice with something over it.

Beers, i cant remember exactly but something like 50b for a bottle of Heineken gets my vote!

It also has more convenient parking right in front of the place.

Has anyone tried Patong Bakery (Baan Kanoom) just near Chalong Circle & almost opposite the police station. Their Thai food is very tasty, not too expensive & one can dine inside, for the non smokers, or outside.

Hey Valentine... do have an interest in this bakery ?? Markg sums it up perfectly. I too thought this recommendation was a joke.

Hey Valentine... do have an interest in this bakery ?? Markg sums it up perfectly. I too thought this recommendation was a joke.

I have no interest in the place but was merely stating a fact about outside seating for those desperate to smoke & agree the outside ambience sucks & also agree about the lame breakfast. However, inside it is air conditioned & the Thai food is very good. It is uusally full at lunch time. I will check out Mark's suggestion of Coconut Twins for comparison.

I've just come across this list and it really does have some great recommendations.

I just want to add one more:

Foccacia Pizzeria on the Chalong pier road. It's by far the best pizza I've had in all of S.E. Asia. He also makes fresh buccotini and other types of pastas My friends and I call it grumpy pizza, because the owner is an angry Italian man. However, he does make sure to check up on you every so often to make sure you're enjoying your meal, even if he is a bit harsh. However, he warms up at the end of the meal and gives a smile which looks like it might hurt, but still makes me feel warm inside!

Try this place out people, the food is so good it makes me want to cry tears of joy!!!

Yes Yes. Do i know you? We also call it grumpy pizza!

His pizza's are sooooooooooo good.

Now then, some bad news............this might be his last year in business. Last week in there he really opened up to us (only been going in there about 3 years!) and said he just doesnt make enough money and the rent is going up etc. I love it when he gets angry (often) and excited as he intersperses his rants with Italian, "the renta his going up, porca mizeria, and i go a back to milan, ah! va fanculo, "

It would be a CRYING SHAME if a restaurant selling really good food were to go out of business.

Please check this place out.

Just to refresh, its almost opposite the 7/11 on the Chalong Pier road. Its a very small place with a fierce Italian man in there!

MASSIVE thin pizza for about 200 baht.

Service with a smile, extra!

Wanted to there the other day, place was closed... I hope he hasn't gone out of biz. Would be sad...

Is he still open then? Can anyone confirm....?

Is he still open then? Can anyone confirm....?

I went past today and it's closed. I am not saying for sure that it's closed down. It's been shut for a couple of nights for sure and it is still shut tonight.

The signage is all still there though which is a good sign (no pun intended) You'd think that if he was shutting up for good he would have tried to sell the signs or something? Or at least taken them down? Who knows.

I will be more than very disappointed if its closed down for good.

Perhaps just shutting up for a while for low season/songkran ?

Lets hope so.

As a sideline, i tried the pizza at the Anchor Inn just up the road from grumpy's (actually called La Calamatia ) and whilst they are passable, they are no where near as good as grumpy's. The dough is typically Thai and is quite sweet.

Anybody know a good middle eastern, lebanese, etc., restaurant in Phuket? I think I spotted a new place on the beach road in Patong at the North end of the beach, and I thought I saw another one on the 2nd road.

We'll go out tonight and I'll report back unless anyone can recommend a good one.

Anybody know a good middle eastern, lebanese, etc., restaurant in Phuket? I think I spotted a new place on the beach road in Patong at the North end of the beach, and I thought I saw another one on the 2nd road.

We'll go out tonight and I'll report back unless anyone can recommend a good one.

Ok, then a report on last night. We went to Dubai Restaurant on the north beach road in Patong. We ordered all the usual middle eastern delights. Quite good, but can't compare to Beirut in Bangkok, but then I didn't expect it to.

Overall, very good for Phuket, recommended, but as I said, don't go expecting Beirut Bangkok taste.

Ok, then a report on last night. We went to Dubai Restaurant on the north beach road in Patong. We ordered all the usual middle eastern delights. Quite good, but can't compare to Beirut in Bangkok, but then I didn't expect it to.

Overall, very good for Phuket, recommended, but as I said, don't go expecting Beirut Bangkok taste.

I was in there a couple of nights ago. Lots of middle-eastern looking people eating and smoking hookah pipes, which i assume is a good sign. Place is clean and well staffed.

I am certainly no expert on middle-eastern food, so can only comment on what i ate.

I was looking forwards to a nice bit of curry actually, but the rice was 100 baht. Apparently, it's 'slowly cooked Basmati rice'. (Yeah - i've got a rice cooker at home too!) A HUNDRED BAHT !

For a plate or rice !

That would have put my 2 selections of curry plus rice at over 400 baht for one person which for me is just too expensive.

I chose a feta cheese salad with naan bread instead.

The salad had a tiny tiny amount of feta cheese in it which was disappointing.

The naan bread was lovely though. Fresh out of the oven.

I seem to recall that the beer was quite cheap - like 100b for a big bottle - THE SAME AS A PLATE OF RICE !!

Not quite middle-eastern, and already mentioned on here, is The Family restaurant, south of chalong circle on the Rawai road. It's an Israeli place.

The Zuricher (sp) has been closed about 2 months, maybe? After she moved from the other CF road and the cook ran away, her food was consistently bad.

Now the old cook has either opened or is working at a restaurant near Chalong. Will try to find out where. Kudos to her, but typical stab in the back to Jew (or Joo), her former employer.

Limoncello has consistently gotten worse as time progresses. No idea why Roberto even opened the place, as RPM does not want too much onsite advertising and rent is 180.000 a month!!

Any feedback on Skippers?

I was in there a couple of nights ago. Lots of middle-eastern looking people eating and smoking hookah pipes, which i assume is a good sign. Place is clean and well staffed.

I am certainly no expert on middle-eastern food, so can only comment on what i ate.

I was looking forwards to a nice bit of curry actually, but the rice was 100 baht. Apparently, it's 'slowly cooked Basmati rice'. (Yeah - i've got a rice cooker at home too!) A HUNDRED BAHT !

For a plate or rice !

That would have put my 2 selections of curry plus rice at over 400 baht for one person which for me is just too expensive.

I chose a feta cheese salad with naan bread instead.

The salad had a tiny tiny amount of feta cheese in it which was disappointing.

The naan bread was lovely though. Fresh out of the oven.

I seem to recall that the beer was quite cheap - like 100b for a big bottle - THE SAME AS A PLATE OF RICE !!

Not quite middle-eastern, and already mentioned on here, is The Family restaurant, south of chalong circle on the Rawai road. It's an Israeli place.

Yes, the more I put this on context, I was dumbing down my review for Phuket but really Dubai is nothing to write home about and is expensive. As I said earlier, after Beirut in Bangkok, it's really hard to compare any middle eastern place in Phuket.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to forget :-

Jimmies Lighthouse / Chalong (close to pier)

Farang / by pass rd next to Index Mall

Chili Bar & Restaurant, Thepkasatri Rd, Koh Kaew, opp. Boat lagoon entrance, next to Dalaa Buri for real Thai cooking local style local price.

Laem Him Seafood, Thepkastari Road, Sapam (exit top of the hill just passsed the temple as heading into town from end by pass rd junction)

AJ

Also special mention for "the Winch". Swiss Owner Chef, Lunchtime specials 170B, Friday Happy hour 50B Heine with canape - closed sunday.

AJ

Oh - the Winch is in Boat Lagoon, past security turn right and drive down through the boat hardstand and the last building on the left.

It does surprise me that LIM's Restaurant in Kalim is forgotten on most 'favourite' lists! LIM's has been serving Modern Thai Food for nearly 10 years now and has served any type of people from foreign ex prime ministers to local hotel school students. Why? Because it's simply excellent food and a great location. There's nothing comparable on the island in terms of its own caracter.

This, as an input!