Thailand Museum Chief Arrested On Fraud Charge In Seattle

Groongthep

I was sorry to read this story. It would be pretty hard for anyone to take being arrested in the US...sorry for her family too.

As for the TAT story - not to stray too far off topic - but whatever happend to Mrs. Pooyai and the 'investigation' into her and her daughters alleged corruption (alleged film festival bribes)? Anyone know? Ironically, it could be that the two Jewish-Americans arrested in the US for "bribing", could go to jail, while the person who received the bribes (allegedly) walks away - and still holding the cash in hand presumably!

In some ways American law is too far one way - while Thailand's is too far the other way.

Perhaps America needs to rethink its law? It's a good one - but it's impracticle. Does anyone really believe that big US companies are following this law when their competitors in other countries most surely have no qualms about offering kick backs (other than trying to limit the amount)?

Edited by thaigene2

Ironically, it could be that the two Jewish-Americans arrested in the US for "bribing", could go to jail, while the person who received the bribes (allegedly) walks away - and still holding the cash in hand presumably!

What was the point of making reference to the two accused's presumed religious affiliations.(Although it has absolutely no relationship to the charges unless you are intimating that americans of the jewish faith have a predisposition to bribery.) If religious affiliations are relevant then why not mention the Thai's presumed Buddist religion or the american embassy representatives presumed christian affiliations?Does this me that if I get accused of a crime, references to me should then include a presumed Church of England affiliation? (If that's the case, I opt for the Church of Eternal Booty).

Ihave to agree with Young Husband on this one. I used to enjoy Toni's posts but he seems to have turned into a real Thai hater. What is it with some? Must be the area they live in.

Agreed. He needs to be in a new location, outside the realm.....Far, far outside.

Ironically, it could be that the two Jewish-Americans arrested in the US for "bribing", could go to jail, while the person who received the bribes (allegedly) walks away - and still holding the cash in hand presumably!

What was the point of making reference to the two accused's presumed religious affiliations.(Although it has absolutely no relationship to the charges unless you are intimating that americans of the jewish faith have a predisposition to bribery.) If religious affiliations are relevant then why not mention the Thai's presumed Buddist religion or the american embassy representatives presumed christian affiliations?Does this me that if I get accused of a crime, references to me should then include a presumed Church of England affiliation? (If that's the case, I opt for the Church of Eternal Booty).

It was the way the newspapers reported it. Nothing else. I figured the reasons they stated it must have meant they were dual-national. (bt if so you're correct to say 'Israeli-Americans') Would it be okay to say two Arab-Americans or two Thai-Americans? Jsut wondering.. :o

• 3 months later...

Roxanna Brown

A scholar's journey leads through war, addiction and injury to arrest.

'I'm being arrested."

Roxanna Brown, a renowned expert in Southeast Asian ceramics, was whispering into the hotel telephone.

Downstairs in the lobby, her host, University of Washington professor Bill Lavely, didn't know what to do. He had flown Brown, a 62-year-old museum director, in from Bangkok to give a lecture at an academic conference in Seattle.

Lavely paced the lobby for 10 minutes before going up to Brown's room and knocking tentatively on her door. A few minutes later, she emerged, flanked by fourfederal agents.

She walked stiffly with a cane, limping because of a prosthetic right leg. She looked haggard and frail, Lavely thought. She'd obviously been crying.

"I wish I could explain," Brown stammered as she was led to the elevator that afternoon in May. "It's about that thing in Los Angeles. I made a mistake. . . . I faxed my signature."

Recalling the episode two months later, Lavely said he'd had no idea what she was talking about. As Brown was ushered into the elevator, he asked if there was anything he could do.

"I guess not," Brown replied. "Well, maybe there is. . . ."

Before she could finish, the elevator doors closed.

It was the last time any of Brown's colleagues would see her alive.

Roxanna Brown

A scholar's journey leads through war, addiction and injury to arrest.

'I'm being arrested."

Roxanna Brown, a renowned expert in Southeast Asian ceramics, was whispering into the hotel telephone.

Downstairs in the lobby, her host, University of Washington professor Bill Lavely, didn't know what to do. He had flown Brown, a 62-year-old museum director, in from Bangkok to give a lecture at an academic conference in Seattle.

Lavely paced the lobby for 10 minutes before going up to Brown's room and knocking tentatively on her door. A few minutes later, she emerged, flanked by fourfederal agents.

She walked stiffly with a cane, limping because of a prosthetic right leg. She looked haggard and frail, Lavely thought. She'd obviously been crying.

"I wish I could explain," Brown stammered as she was led to the elevator that afternoon in May. "It's about that thing in Los Angeles. I made a mistake. . . . I faxed my signature."

Recalling the episode two months later, Lavely said he'd had no idea what she was talking about. As Brown was ushered into the elevator, he asked if there was anything he could do.

"I guess not," Brown replied. "Well, maybe there is. . . ."

Before she could finish, the elevator doors closed.

It was the last time any of Brown's colleagues would see her alive.

Re your last line, you mean NONE of these high flown bods were outraged enough, shocked enough or CARED enough to go to visit her???????

I am sure the US system allows visitors under such circumstances. Or had the milk of human kindness truly curdled in that insular world of academe??

Roxanna would have been better and more justly dealt with in Phra Singh police station!