Trip Back Home

jonniebkk

give us a rundown of the costs of fun in both places. this is where it isnt even funny to compare!

I drink Jack Daniels for fun at half the price I'd pay in OZ :D Oh you mean that kind of fun :o No Comment

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice thread JKK.

SF is obviously far cheaper than London for almost everything (probably a much nicer place to live too). I agree with your sentiment. For a foreigner living in Thailand and liking foreign products, it's expensive here - wine, import beer... No real shock there.

Your more pronunced point that many locally produced products are more expensive in Thailand is a good one. I like a Starbucks coffee (100 baht) and a nice Sandwich (179 baht) from time to time. In Thailand I pay London (or slightly less) prices, but you'd get bigger, tastier and cheaper in the US. It's the area that I feel I'm most missing out on by living here. If I want a nice bagel in nice surroundings it's tough to find and expensive compared to the US equivilent.

I'm lucky that I live between a Macro and a Foodland, so I can pick up a lot of 'esential' items at a vastly lower cost to Tops or Villa. I recently bought some Twinnings English Breakfast Tea for 165 baht at Macro. It was 225 baht at Foodland and a crazy 275 baht at Tops. The imported breakfast cerial was 170 baht at Macro and over 250 baht at Tops. Foodland also does a good selection on cold meats, frozen meats (lamb, NZ T-bone...) and has a nice 24 hour restaurant that's cheap; a T-bone steak can be had for 250 baht and it's not bad.

Of course it is cheaper to live here. You can rent a nice(ish) house for 10k per month and eat 30 baht soups, 99 baht BBQ buffets and fried chicken with sticky rice for 35 baht. But, if you go to KFC you pay 200 baht for crap quality stuff. Ok the Starbucks coffee is nice, but at 100 baht a cup, it isn't cheap. McD seems to be of an exceptionally low quality here, even for MacD. Message: keep away from franchise and foreign 'looking' products cause they are a rip-off.

My Thai colleague is currently in SF on a two week break. She's an average Thai wage earner, who just likes to travel when she has the time (and has saved enough money), so it will be interesting to see things from her perspective when she returns. Although Thai, she likes the Western things that have been mentioned on this thread. I expect her to come back saying that accom is expensive, but she was otherwise surprised at the lower cost and higher quality of many items. We'll see... (I'll ask her to add a little report in here when she returns.)

Edited by jasreeve17

Continuing on with some more comparisons:

Restaurants continued: I had a pork burrito supreme at my fav local shop today. This is their "top of the line" and largest model. It cost $ 6.00 (B 192). I have heard good things about the burritos at Sunrise Tacos in Bangkok but have not been yet and don't know how they would compare in size, taste, and quality to the one I had. Maybe someone can provide at least the pricing information for a comparison. Walking past a Japanese restaurant, I noted the price of a fried pork cutlet lunch set (tonkatsu) was $ 6.00. It looked comparable to the same set at Fuji, which is B 110 ($ 3.43). As anyone who lives in LOS knows, Fuji's food is very good value for the price and it shows here again, with the price about half the cost of the Stateside set. (Thought those Fuji cutlets keep getting smaller and smaller. :D )

I am a big fan of bagels and we are spoiled for choice on this score in the Bay Area. We've got Noah's, Posh, Boogie Woogie, and more. Nothing better than a toasted poppy seed bagel with garlic/herb spread to get the day started in my book. In Thailand, the only bagel I have found that is remotely comparable are the ones at Au Bon Pain. They are nothing to shout about but in LOS, they're about the best you're gonna get. The Bay Area bagels cost $ 1.00 ea. At ABP Pattaya, they are B 50 or B 55 ($ 1.56-$ 1.72). I have no explanation why the Thai ABP ones are so expensive compared to the bigger one's here; is the cost of wheat floor so much more expensive in LOS that USA? What about the cost of water or salt...maybe they are 50-75% more expensive...it certainly isn't the wage costs of the Thai baker or shop clerk...that I do know!

A Trip to the Grocery Store: We all gotta eat no matter where we choose to call home and that means trips to the local grocery store. In either country, we can see the benefits of Globalization, with the plethora of goods (both local and from around the world) on offer. I poked my head in a couple stores today to do a little price snooping.

A staple of the Thai diet...those Japanese boil and eat ramen noodle packs (the ones you boil for a few minutes - not the instant ones) cost $ .39 ea. at Walgreen Drug Store. At Foodland in Pattaya, they cost B 26 ea ($ .81). I am talking about the Nissan brand and not the cheapo Maggi brand. This is really an eye-opener - that this simple food staple that I am almost positive is LOCALLY produced cost TWICE the USA price. So the average Thai, who makes maybe 1/8th the salary of an American gets to pay 2x the price if he buys this product! I never buy the Maggi brand...maybe someone can supply a price point for them...they may be about the equilivent cost of the Nissan brand in USA (but are a smaller package and of lesser quality). Bag of Starbucks pre-ground coffee 12 oz is $ 11.00 ( B 352). Anyone buy coffee at a Thai Starbucks recently and know the cost?

I bought a bottle of Walgreen store brand daily multi-vitamin/mineral supplements to keep my aging body going a little longer. Cost for 220 pill bottle $ 13.00 [.06 per pill] (B 416). I don't recall specifically, but the last time I priced a similar 100 pill bottle of multi-vitamins at Boots or Watsons, it was something like B 600-B 800 [ .22 per pill using the mid-prie of B 700]. So again, a Thai or foreign expat who wants to stay healthy by taking a vitamin supplement gets to pay 4x the price. [Caveat: Due to their outrageous price in Thailand, I have never bought vitamins in LOS, and don't even bother to price them anymore. If anyone has recent pricing info that contradicts mine, please correct my post.]

Continuing down the grocery aisle, we come to some Pringles potato chips. The standard size canister is $ 1.29 or 3 for $ 3.00 (B 41 a can or B 32 ea for 3). Don't know what these cost in LOS but do know they sell them - again, can anyone supply the price for comparison? Price for a small bottle of drinking water is $ .60 or $ 1.00 for 2 ( B 19)l. Here LOS pricing is much cheaper at B 9-B 10 or half the cost. Great because with the hot Thai weather, we must all drink lots of water. Lets continue onto the fruits, where we can get some easy comps for coconuts, mangoes, and pineapples. (I think the store clerks must have thought I was some sort of government inspector checking their product quality or the accuracy of the scales the way I went about picking up pieces or fruit, weighing them, jotting down notes, then putting them back on display :D ) Here is what I found: Rather sickly looking medium sized (3/4 lb) "organic" mangoes cost $ 1.19 ea. ( B 38). In LOS, a bigger (if maybe not "organic") mango would cost B 20 ea. or about half the cost. Small coconuts (for drinking) cost $ 1.80 ea. (B 58). The last time I bought a coconut at the beach in Pattaya it cost B 20 or about 1/3 the Stateside cost. Hawaiian pineapples were $ .99 per lb so a typical 3-1/2 lb one would cost $ 3.50 (B 112). So as expected, tropical fruits are much cheaper in LOS than in the States. Of course, the price of peaches, pears, cherries, and other temperate fruits would even the scales on this score.

Smokes: Marlboro Reds cost $ 4.00-$5.00 per pack ( B 128-B 160) and $ 42.00 for a carton. The price of Marlboros in LOS are B 55 a pack or 1/3 the price. My friends who smoke claim the tobacco in the Thai Marlboros is not of the same quality and taste of those sold in Western markets so the comparison may not be completely apples to apples but close enough for our purposes.

Condoms Finally, and maybe most important - at least in my hometown of Pattaya, we come to the price of condoms! A 3-pack of Durex condoms cost $ 6.00 ( B 192). In Thailand, they cost B 45-B 55...or almost 1/4 the price. So we can all continue to engage in maximum sanook activities as the cost of our condoms is a great value compared to what one would pay for them in America. But come to think of it, some of us may not have much use for condoms in America so their high prices would not crimp our budget much and we could spend those savings on expensive smokes instead :D

I can't explain the difference in prices accept to say it's what the market will pay, mostly it seems in tourist areas. I live in OZ and visit LOS twice a year for a month each time. So just a few observations.

Laptops are cheaper and you get more for your buck in LOS ie dual core

None thai type fruits are expensive ie grapes all berries

Condoms :D I buy mine by the dozen and that works out similar to the Thai prices for three ie 20 bht each :o

Still think LOS is a bargain and intend to reside/retire there next year. Meantime I just booked my flight for the 6/6. :D

lilBob

Continuing on with some more comparisons:

Restaurants continued: I had a pork burrito supreme at my fav local shop today. This is their "top of the line" and largest model. It cost $ 6.00 (B 192). I have heard good things about the burritos at Sunrise Tacos in Bangkok but have not been yet and don't know how they would compare in size, taste, and quality to the one I had. Maybe someone can provide at least the pricing information for a comparison. Walking past a Japanese restaurant, I noted the price of a fried pork cutlet lunch set (tonkatsu) was $ 6.00. It looked comparable to the same set at Fuji, which is B 110 ($ 3.43). As anyone who lives in LOS knows, Fuji's food is very good value for the price and it shows here again, with the price about half the cost of the Stateside set. (Thought those Fuji cutlets keep getting smaller and smaller. :D )

I am a big fan of bagels and we are spoiled for choice on this score in the Bay Area. We've got Noah's, Posh, Boogie Woogie, and more. Nothing better than a toasted poppy seed bagel with garlic/herb spread to get the day started in my book. In Thailand, the only bagel I have found that is remotely comparable are the ones at Au Bon Pain. They are nothing to shout about but in LOS, they're about the best you're gonna get. The Bay Area bagels cost $ 1.00 ea. At ABP Pattaya, they are B 50 or B 55 ($ 1.56-$ 1.72). I have no explanation why the Thai ABP ones are so expensive compared to the bigger one's here; is the cost of wheat floor so much more expensive in LOS that USA? What about the cost of water or salt...maybe they are 50-75% more expensive...it certainly isn't the wage costs of the Thai baker or shop clerk...that I do know!

A Trip to the Grocery Store: We all gotta eat no matter where we choose to call home and that means trips to the local grocery store. In either country, we can see the benefits of Globalization, with the plethora of goods (both local and from around the world) on offer. I poked my head in a couple stores today to do a little price snooping.

A staple of the Thai diet...those Japanese boil and eat ramen noodle packs (the ones you boil for a few minutes - not the instant ones) cost $ .39 ea. at Walgreen Drug Store. At Foodland in Pattaya, they cost B 26 ea ($ .81). I am talking about the Nissan brand and not the cheapo Maggi brand. This is really an eye-opener - that this simple food staple that I am almost positive is LOCALLY produced cost TWICE the USA price. So the average Thai, who makes maybe 1/8th the salary of an American gets to pay 2x the price if he buys this product! I never buy the Maggi brand...maybe someone can supply a price point for them...they may be about the equilivent cost of the Nissan brand in USA (but are a smaller package and of lesser quality). Bag of Starbucks pre-ground coffee 12 oz is $ 11.00 ( B 352). Anyone buy coffee at a Thai Starbucks recently and know the cost?

I bought a bottle of Walgreen store brand daily multi-vitamin/mineral supplements to keep my aging body going a little longer. Cost for 220 pill bottle $ 13.00 [.06 per pill] (B 416). I don't recall specifically, but the last time I priced a similar 100 pill bottle of multi-vitamins at Boots or Watsons, it was something like B 600-B 800 [ .22 per pill using the mid-prie of B 700]. So again, a Thai or foreign expat who wants to stay healthy by taking a vitamin supplement gets to pay 4x the price. [Caveat: Due to their outrageous price in Thailand, I have never bought vitamins in LOS, and don't even bother to price them anymore. If anyone has recent pricing info that contradicts mine, please correct my post.]

Continuing down the grocery aisle, we come to some Pringles potato chips. The standard size canister is $ 1.29 or 3 for $ 3.00 (B 41 a can or B 32 ea for 3). Don't know what these cost in LOS but do know they sell them - again, can anyone supply the price for comparison? Price for a small bottle of drinking water is $ .60 or $ 1.00 for 2 ( B 19)l. Here LOS pricing is much cheaper at B 9-B 10 or half the cost. Great because with the hot Thai weather, we must all drink lots of water. Lets continue onto the fruits, where we can get some easy comps for coconuts, mangoes, and pineapples. (I think the store clerks must have thought I was some sort of government inspector checking their product quality or the accuracy of the scales the way I went about picking up pieces or fruit, weighing them, jotting down notes, then putting them back on display :D ) Here is what I found: Rather sickly looking medium sized (3/4 lb) "organic" mangoes cost $ 1.19 ea. ( B 38). In LOS, a bigger (if maybe not "organic") mango would cost B 20 ea. or about half the cost. Small coconuts (for drinking) cost $ 1.80 ea. (B 58). The last time I bought a coconut at the beach in Pattaya it cost B 20 or about 1/3 the Stateside cost. Hawaiian pineapples were $ .99 per lb so a typical 3-1/2 lb one would cost $ 3.50 (B 112). So as expected, tropical fruits are much cheaper in LOS than in the States. Of course, the price of peaches, pears, cherries, and other temperate fruits would even the scales on this score.

Smokes: Marlboro Reds cost $ 4.00-$5.00 per pack ( B 128-B 160) and $ 42.00 for a carton. The price of Marlboros in LOS are B 55 a pack or 1/3 the price. My friends who smoke claim the tobacco in the Thai Marlboros is not of the same quality and taste of those sold in Western markets so the comparison may not be completely apples to apples but close enough for our purposes.

Condoms Finally, and maybe most important - at least in my hometown of Pattaya, we come to the price of condoms! A 3-pack of Durex condoms cost $ 6.00 ( B 192). In Thailand, they cost B 45-B 55...or almost 1/4 the price. So we can all continue to engage in maximum sanook activities as the cost of our condoms is a great value compared to what one would pay for them in America. But come to think of it, some of us may not have much use for condoms in America so their high prices would not crimp our budget much and we could spend those savings on expensive smokes instead :D

I can't explain the difference in prices accept to say it's what the market will pay, mostly it seems in tourist areas. I live in OZ and visit LOS twice a year for a month each time. So just a few observations.

Laptops are cheaper and you get more for your buck in LOS ie dual core

None thai type fruits are expensive ie grapes all berries

Condoms :D I buy mine by the dozen and that works out similar to the Thai prices for three ie 20 bht each :o

Still think LOS is a bargain and intend to reside/retire there next year. Meantime I just booked my flight for the 6/6. :D

lilBob

I forgot to include a Thai girlfriend of mine (ex) told me of some fish she had purchased from a supermarket in OZ. "It was very nice but very expensive"(salmon :D )

I am going back to the UK today for the first time in 4 years and I am very interested to see what the prices will be....

You will be surprised.........but not pleasantly.

Prices may vary from region to region but petrol is at £1.10 per litre.

I took the Mrs shopping yesterday and Rice has gone up to £15.95 for 10 kilo's and you are limited to only being able to purchase 5 bags max. A couple of months ago, the same brand was £7.95.

Utilities seem to be going month by month etc. etc.

I'm off to work i Saudi Arabia this weekend, at first i thought the timing (personal reason) was a bit soon. Now i think the timing about leaving this country, is about right.

I forgot to include a Thai girlfriend of mine (ex) told me of some fish she had purchased from a supermarket in OZ. "It was very nice but very expensive"(salmon :D )

Good comments Bob...but you have to learn how to use the quotation function to select particular passages for comments. Makes for much easier and better understood flow of the thread. If the comment is very general in nature, just use the general "add reply" function rather than quoting the entire piece :o

Great post, jonnie

Double pleasure since it was you who initiative this concept into a remarkable threads.

Always agree to the facts and info.

Yes, your friends were right about the cigaret ' Marboro ' brand. I have had similar experienced with my Thai people too. Although Marboro is a USA brand, it is not necessary the Marboro that are sold in TL are made from USA.

If you look to the fine print on the carton, you'll surprised if it is being made somewhere outside US. I'm a non-smoker, so I'll pass this on to someone who like to share their experiences.

But I found out long time ago, some top US brand cosmetics that sold outside States, have their products made in Europe. My Thai friends were the ones who had pointed that out to me. From that day on I always looking for the fine print. Sure enough, four out of five that we compare ( same product, one bought from State, the other one bought in TL ), were made somewhere. Try looking at the aspirin product ????

I'm sure many of us forumers appreciate :o your diligent surveys, it's for everyone benefits. You deserve a BIG thanks.

Tink

Always agree to the facts and info.

Yes, your friends were right about the cigaret ' Marboro ' brand. I have had similar experienced with my Thai people too. Although Marboro is a USA brand, it is not necessary the Marboro that are sold in TL are made from USA.

Hi Tinker Gator,

I am a non-smoker too...I think one of my smoking friends told me the Thai Marboros are manufactured in Indonesia or they were made using Indonesian tobacco so that is why their "flavor" is not exactly the same as Marboros in the USA. They are certainly cheaper, however!

Glad you enjoyed the price comparison information. I am not trying to prove one country in cheaper or better than the other...just some of the interesting price comparisons between some common items and services people would buy in each.

By the way, here now in the San Francisco Bay Area, were having a heatwave so like its 90 degrees for the next few days...sheeze...I couldn't stayed "home" if I wanted that. :o

I don’t know but a trip back home-Thailand- for me, lately it wasn’t cracked up to be like it used to.

Right after I got back to AMARIKA-my new home now- I felt more tired than working actually.

When I was in Thailand this last trip, I felt somewhat like a transient because I was on a go all the times, with so many places and family members to see in such a short period. And there’re constant calculations going on in my head (expenses, ever changing daily exchange rate, etc..), and every moves cost money-cab, food, ever endless of H2O, hotel, shopping. I don’t think either my brain or body ever had any rest while over there…. move more, and eat more…….

BTW - I’m in Seattle area and here a 50 lbs bag of rice-thai jasmine = $39.00.…vs. about $16.50 a year ago., $3.99/gal for gas, and currently we’re going into the first of 5 days heat wave period that will take us into the 70s degree by next Wednesday!

currently we’re going into the first of 5 days heat wave period that will take us into the 70s degree by next Wednesday!

We are in the 2nd day of the same heatwave in SF Bay Area and had record breaking temps today...it was 95 degrees in the East Bay today! I could have stayed in Pattaya...it might have been cooler :o At least there is little humidity.

Edited by jonniebkk

Re: Marlboros... the ones sold in Thailand are usually made in the Philippines or Malaysia. The taste, however should not necessarily be because of the tobacco - more likely to be a combination of humidity and freshness of the tobacco. The taste is *almost* the same, I'm not bothered and my friends in the US don't complain when I bring over a few cartons :o

Orchids: There was a "farmers market" day near my hotel today and I had a look around. One vendor was selling exotic orchids. These were really exotic varieties...not the typical white or purple ones you pick up for a hundred baht a tray at Thai markets and nurseries. They were good size (8-12") and priced between $ 15-$ 20 ( B 480-B 640).

Rotisserie Chicken: One man had a very large chicken rotisserie going. It looked delicious, with the drippings falling on a pile or rosemary roasted potatoes on the pan underneath. These were very large free-range birds more than twice as big as the typical Thai roasting chicken. They were $ 11.50 (B 368) a whole bird. The rotisserie birds (not Issan style gia yaang but real herb encrusted rotisserie birds) I buy on soi Nernplubwan cost B 65 ($ 2.00). Not an exact comparison between size and quality but barbecued chickens are allot cheaper in Thailand.

Pastries: Homemade peach and sweet potato pies (Southern style) personal pies $ 2.50 (B 80). Large piece homemade coffee-crumble cake $ 2.00 (B 64). Most decent pastries and cake/pie slices available at Thai bakeries and farang restaurants/cafes are at least as expensive or more so and nowhere near as good as what I had this morning.

Edited by jonniebkk

Rotisserie Chicken: One man had a very large chicken rotisserie going. It looked delicious, with the drippings falling on a pile or rosemary roasted potatoes on the pan underneath. These were very large free-range birds more than twice as big as the typical Thai roasting chicken. They were $ 11.50 (B 368) a whole bird. The rotisserie birds (not Issan style gia yaang but real herb encrusted rotisserie birds) I buy on soi Nernplubwan cost B 65 ($ 2.00). Not an exact comparison between size and quality but barbecued chickens are allot cheaper in Thailand.

Costco in the US, at least in my area, has juicy rotisserie chickens (huge birds) for $5.99. I like the flavor of my wife's gai yang better though.

I'm in the same boat as your, Teacup........"And there’re constant calculations going on in my head (expenses, ever changing daily exchange rate, etc..), and every moves cost money-cab, food, ever endless of H2O, hotel, shopping. I don’t think either my brain or body ever had any rest while over there…. move more, and eat more……."

And eat more.... after a month in LOS, my weight balloon. :o

Teacup, it's good to hear you came back to US and call it home.

Remember last year you were thinking of moving back to TL. Well, no matter where you live in TL...US...or else, home is where you're happy and feel settledown with the sense of belonging. :D

wow ... I bet you vote for Obama ! say no more ...

but ok, I'll shut up, because obviously being nice is more important then being accurate ... anyway, point is that you might have been here for a long time, but never lived the Thai life ... not good enough for you?

again; I find this whole tread very insulting to Thailand !

(since when is a subway sandwich worth anything as a reference point to Thailand)

Costco in the US, at least in my area, has juicy rotisserie chickens (huge birds) for $5.99. I like the flavor of my wife's gai yang better though.

That's because she seasons it with LUBBBBB!!!! :o

She does that to the 'tang, not her gai yang.

wow ... I bet you vote for Obama ! say no more ...

but ok, I'll shut up, because obviously being nice is more important then being accurate ... anyway, point is that you might have been here for a long time, but never lived the Thai life ... not good enough for you?

again; I find this whole tread very insulting to Thailand !

(since when is a subway sandwich worth anything as a reference point to Thailand)

Not quite sure what Obama has to do with this thread (or any thread on Thai-Visa)...but I guess you had to vent your frustration about something that's gotten in your craw today with that non sequitur :o

I actually live quite a "locals" lifestyle and am quite comfortable in Thailand. However, I have not as native as some who have chosen to live "upcountry." :D

I guess you have not really read the post too closely because if you had, you would see that neither my op, nor any of the later posts, had anything to do with which country is better than the other. The fact that several Thais who live in the US have posted positive replies (and PM'ed to me) I think demonstrates that they understand what this thread is all about. It is about comparing costs of common items and services expatriates might buy in Thailand with prices here in USA. It certainly has nothing to do with insulting Thailand or the USA.

Many long-term expatriates looses touch with the cost of things "back home." I know I certainly do so this thread is just to provide some perspective on the cost back in farangland for those who are interested.

Edited by jonniebkk

Many long-term expatriates looses touch with the cost of things "back home." I know I certainly do so this thread is just to provide some perspective on the cost back in farangland for those who are interested.

You're quite right about that. Expats in Thailand on a long-term basis can easily, and understandably so, become accustomed to costs relative to Thailand that one doesn't really give much thought to what costs may be in their own native countries. Differences and variations are more apparent to those who travel back and forth. TIhe same thing is true for those who return for extended stays in their native countries, this can also be true for Thai people in other countries, it's easy to lose track of various cost differences back in Thailand. Expats who keep informed may have a better awareness of differences and variations, but I think even then it would take an actual trip to really 'feel' the cost differences.

Even within Thailand itself, and the same can be said for the being within the U.S. or any other country, it's easy to become accustomed to local costs within sections of the country, and less aware (although maybe aware in a general sense) of costs elsewhere around the country, especially the differences between larger cities and more rurally located villages.

It's all more relative to where you are, how much time you're there, and what you're commonly accustomed to.

I find this thread to be interesting, as do a number of others, although I might not fully agree with some of the things that have been compared, such as why automobiles are more expensive in Thailand than they are in the U.S. (at least I think that's what you asked). That has to do with the market supply and consumer demand. There is a much greater demand and as such market for some products in the U.S. that such products can be sold in volume at lower price. The greater demand ensures greater profit even though the unit cost is lower. Thailand is a much smaller country, so there is less opportunity to generate the same level of profit as can be made in larger countries. The only way to make it worthwhile is to charge more for unit costs. That said, economic differences are a part of cost differences.

I also have to agree that specific brand goods and services that are imported into Thailand can often cost more than the same brand goods and services in the originating country. If those goods and services can be found on more of a local basis, then costs can be about the same or even lower than brand's host country. But the costs can be more if they originate in the host country because of production, shipping, etc., costs.

One area of cost differences that's interesting to compare would be the cost of specific brand medications, especially perscription medications and medical treatment and services. Quality medical services are much cheaper in Thailand than in the U.S. For example, I saw a neurologist at Bumrungrad Hospital and had an MRI scan done a couple of years ago in Thailand. The cost to see the neurologist, hospital fee, perscription and included a couple of follow-up visits was around 1000 baht. The same cost in the U.S. without the perscription, would've been closer to $150-$200 or so just to see the doctor without follow-up visits.

The MRI scan I had done in Thailand was around US$188 (can't remember the exact baht prices right off hand). In the U.S., the same scan would've cost anywhere between US$1500-$2000.

And prescription prices for the same brands or similar available in the U.S. seemed to be lower in Thailand, although some brands are higher.

At least that's my take on it. It'd be interesting to see other comparisons of this sort as well.

- AmeriThai

Edited by AmeriThai

One area of cost differences that's interesting to compare would be the cost of specific brand medications, especially perscription medications and medical treatment and services. Quality medical services are much cheaper in Thailand than in the U.S. For example, I saw a neurologist at Bumrungrad Hospital and had an MRI scan done a couple of years ago in Thailand.

The MRI scan I had done in Thailand was around US$188 (can't remember the exact baht prices right off hand). In the U.S., the same scan would've cost anywhere between US$1500-$2000.

Funny you should mention the medical cost issue as the cover story in the current US News and World Report weekly news magazine on the newsstands now in USA is about the medical tourism phenomenon and specifically mentions India and Thailand on the cover. It talks about American patients traveling to these countries for non-emergency chronic and elective procedures because the quality is very high and the costs a fraction of those in America.

Of course, anyone who live in Thailand already knows this and that the medical tourism market is a fast growing one in LOS.

I can't very walk into the local office here and ask them the standard price for an open heart surgery...but I don intend to pop into a dentistry office to see what their standard charges are and post the results.

It is amazing john,

I'll bet every one has taken off work in San Francisco & is hanging down at ocean beach.on the great hwy. You would hit the only time of the year where good weather is possible. At least the cool weather will probably continue when you get back!

Wish i was chowing a Bagel for breakfast right now. a Noahs would do fine!

One area of cost differences that's interesting to compare would be the cost of specific brand medications, especially perscription medications and medical treatment and services. Quality medical services are much cheaper in Thailand than in the U.S. For example, I saw a neurologist at Bumrungrad Hospital and had an MRI scan done a couple of years ago in Thailand.

Funny you should mention the medical cost issue as the cover story in the current US News and World Report weekly news magazine on the newsstands now in USA is about the medical tourism phenomenon and specifically mentions India and Thailand on the cover. It talks about American patients traveling to these countries for non-emergency chronic and elective procedures because the quality is very high and the costs a fraction of those in America.

Of course, anyone who live in Thailand already knows this and that the medical tourism market is a fast growing one in LOS.

I can't very walk into the local office here and ask them the standard price for an open heart surgery...but I don intend to pop into a dentistry office to see what their standard charges are and post the results.

LOL! Well, no, it probably wouldn't be very realistic to walk in and ask for a price list - at least not without an appointment. I'm pretty sure some of the members here may have some comparison examples though.

My wife and I spend part of our time in the U.S. and part of our time in Thailand. In my case, since we were going to be in Thailand anyway, and because I needed an MRI scan done (meaning I also needed to see a neurologist first), it made more sense to me to have the scan done in Thailand. Barring some kind of sudden emergency, I'd choose Thailand over the U.S. anytime simply because quality of major Thai hospitals that are internationally certified meet U.S. standards, and most of all because the cost is vastly cheaper and the care is better.

I had a medical emergency in the U.S. that landed me in the hospital for 3+ days. The hospital 2-bed room cost alone (not including exams, doctors, medications, etc.) was nearly US$10,000. It was a good hospital, but certainly far from being the greatest. I was given a quote for a possible surgery of 50,000 baht at Bumrungrad Hospital (I opted against it though). But that would included everything, the surgery, meds, private suite for 5 days, etc.

I think some, if not most, over-the-counter brand medications can be more expensive in Thailand, and probably some prescription brands. But a lot of prescription medications in Thailand and India, the exact same kind that can be found in the U.S., are much cheaper than in the U.S. Why is anyone's guess, but massive and expensive advertising campaigns in the U.S. may be a huge contributing factor to the high cost. Regardless, people do flock to other countries because of lower costs.

Another example of price differences: dental. A simple tooth extraction at a dental clinic in Thailand: around 200-600 baht depending on where you have it done. Same kind of extraction in the U.S.: around US$200 or more.

LOL! Well, no, it probably wouldn't be very realistic to walk in and ask for a price list - at least not without an appointment. I'm pretty sure some of the members here may have some comparison examples though.

My wife and I spend part of our time in the U.S. and part of our time in Thailand. In my case, since we were going to be in Thailand anyway, and because I needed an MRI scan done (meaning I also needed to see a neurologist first), it made more sense to me to have the scan done in Thailand. Barring some kind of sudden emergency, I'd choose Thailand over the U.S. anytime simply because quality of major Thai hospitals that are internationally certified meet U.S. standards, and most of all because the cost is vastly cheaper and the care is better.

I had a medical emergency in the U.S. that landed me in the hospital for 3+ days. The hospital 2-bed room cost alone (not including exams, doctors, medications, etc.) was nearly US$10,000. It was a good hospital, but certainly far from being the greatest. I was given a quote for a possible surgery of 50,000 baht at Bumrungrad Hospital (I opted against it though). But that would included everything, the surgery, meds, private suite for 5 days, etc.

I think some, if not most, over-the-counter brand medications can be more expensive in Thailand, and probably some prescription brands. But a lot of prescription medications in Thailand and India, the exact same kind that can be found in the U.S., are much cheaper than in the U.S. Why is anyone's guess, but massive and expensive advertising campaigns in the U.S. may be a huge contributing factor to the high cost. Regardless, people do flock to other countries because of lower costs.

Another example of price differences: dental. A simple tooth extraction at a dental clinic in Thailand: around 200-600 baht depending on where you have it done. Same kind of extraction in the U.S.: around US$200 or more.

I believe medical and dental are categories that are significantly skewed because of health insurance in the US.

I believe medical and dental are categories that are significantly skewed because of health insurance in the US.

LOL! I don't doubt it's a major problem, especially if you have no insurance. But there's more to it than just health insurance problems alone. That subject is a bit beyond the scope of this thread though. For the sake of cost comparisons, what kind of rate differences (apart from insurance coverage) are you aware of?

I'm in the same boat as your, Teacup........"And there’re constant calculations going on in my head (expenses, ever changing daily exchange rate, etc..), and every moves cost money-cab, food, ever endless of H2O, hotel, shopping. I don’t think either my brain or body ever had any rest while over there…. move more, and eat more……."

And eat more.... after a month in LOS, my weight balloon. :o

Teacup, it's good to hear you came back to US and call it home.

Remember last year you were thinking of moving back to TL. Well, no matter where you live in TL...US...or else, home is where you're happy and feel settledown with the sense of belonging. :D

It's good to be home and I also and always feel right at home while in the US.

I have never left the US actually, just pondering about going back to Thailand at that time. So this past Jan we did spend the whole month scouting around Thailand for what might be our next possible place to call home. But after the extensive feasibility study of each place, now we’re not so sure any more about moving back. Matthew (hubby) is thinking seriously about Hawaii, Maui this is - not Oahu. He’s in the process of obtaining the Hawaii’s structural engineering license by endorsement, since he’s already have the license in another 4 states, so there will be no exam for him to take this time- hehe, just in case he still wants to work in the same field over there. So we will be scouting Hawaii soon, may be at the end of this year.

Back to the topic

Yes medical costs over here in the US can be quite expensive . Just for a frame of reference, this is for those who have the wife thinking of doing it in the US - last month I just had “the total hysterectomy” done and below are some of the costs (Seattle area)

$2000 - CAT scan w/ dye injection

$7500.00 - for 4 days private room stayed

$32000.00 - for the surgery

$298.00 - for each bag of pain killer(narcotic of some type) thru IV

So the total bill is just over $40000.00 w/ mandatory 6 weeks of rest at home. Luckily my insurance “GroupHealth” had picked up most of the cost, but still left me with about $15000.00 tab to pay.

TC

GET WELL SOON ! Teacup

At least you put your trust in the hands of doctors in a hospital in the US. And having an insurance paying out to off set the costs is something to cheer about.

I have observed in all these years, even the Thais I knew, if they can afford to have the operation in the US, they would do at the first oportunity. I was relating to my own brother, he chose to deal his sickness (prostate cancer) at one of the top hospital in NY (Sloan Kettering), it took him several trips - back and forth. Fortunately, the UN-ESCAP (where he employed) picked up most of the costs.

My cousin had to sell a piece of property to finance the trip to have an operation here too.

Why they chose to come and had the medical operation cos they have confidence in dealing in highly profestional ways in US hospitals. If anything gone wrong, they can suit for malpractices. Can the lawsuit be applied the same in LOS ?

LOL! I don't doubt it's a major problem, especially if you have no insurance. But there's more to it than just health insurance problems alone. That subject is a bit beyond the scope of this thread though. For the sake of cost comparisons, what kind of rate differences (apart from insurance coverage) are you aware of?

In more than one instance in the US, I told the receptionist that I have no insurance and would pay cash .. and was offered a 30-40% discount on an office call.

What I was getting at in my original post is that medical and dental in the US is not priced simply as a result of normal supply and demand. I don't know what % of medical and dental in the US is paid by private or public health, but I''m sure it's much greater than in Thailand. Ergo, the comparison is skewed because of insurance.

In more than one instance in the US, I told the receptionist that I have no insurance and would pay cash .. and was offered a 30-40% discount on an office call.

What I was getting at in my original post is that medical and dental in the US is not priced simply as a result of normal supply and demand. I don't know what % of medical and dental in the US is paid by private or public health, but I''m sure it's much greater than in Thailand. Ergo, the comparison is skewed because of insurance.

You're lucky to have been offered a discount. A lot of doctors won't. Some can arrange a payment plan, but no real savings apart from spreading the bill out over a longer period of time.

You're absolutely right that U.S. medical and dental rates are NOT based on supply and demand. Although you'd think with all the boomers showing up in greater numbers it would be. LOL! Some of it has to do with malpractice insurance, but it seems like that becomes more of an excuse to keep prices jacked up. There are some malpractice suits, but I don't think it's as extensive as it's made out to be. New equipment and facilities also keep prices high. Still, I can think of an MRI Clinic in BKK that expanded into another building and added some of the newest state-of-the-art equipment, and yet their prices are still vastly lower than the U.S. There are a number of other factors as well. I suppose U.S. physicians also enjoy their high salaries and wouldn't appreciate seeing that decline.

Medications are another thing that can often show a gigantic difference in price between those available in U.S. and the same thing available in Thailand.

Had the pleasure of visiting a friend in San Francisco yesterday and do some shopping and take in a Giants game at their nice new AT&T ballpark. I can tell you one thing, it is certainly back to normal regarding the weather. It was an early nite game against the Chicago White Sox and I'm sure those Sox players were much more comfortable than the California players or fans. By the time the sun went down, it was a bone jarring (for SF residents) 50 degrees or so, with a strong wind wipping up off the bay from time to time. To make matters worse, the Giants lost 3-1 in a poorly played game by both sides. However, the ballpark is really nice and intimate and the location right adjacent to the Bay and in the fast developing south of downtown area is really great.

Earlier in the morning, we were at the Ferry Building that in recent years has been developed into a fancy upmarket gourmet food emporium, farmers' market, and restaurant row. The place was packed with San Francisco beautiful people buying up organic this and free-range that. There was one stall that specialized in fresh mushrooms and they must of had 30-40 different varieties...I kid you not. Another had bananas at $ .90 ea (B 29 ). Another comparison I can offer was a restaurant that was basically full had on their menu "2 eggs any style, with bacon and toast" for $ 14.00 ( B 448). So basically, 2 fried eggs, a couple strips of fancy bacon and toast for 15 bucks...and the place was full. Apparently there is no recession in San Francisco!

In the afternoon, we ate lunch at a nice neighborhood bistro and the price for 2 pasta dishes and an enchilada plate, with only water, came to $ 50.00 (inc tip), or B 1600, for the two of us.

AS for the Giants game, we had lower box seats along the first base side. Really great seats about 15 or so rows back from the field. These cost $ 44.00 each. Standard stadium hotdogs cost $ 4.00, sodas $ 3.50-$ 5.50, and a 3-piece chicken tenders with garlic fries and soda that I bought $ 16.00. About $ 75.00 in total for one to attend a game. Compare that with a nite out in Pattaya :o

Edited by jonniebkk