Childs Uk Passport Renewal

Hi,

My 7 year old son's passport will expire in the near future (UK citizen with Thai mother on 2nd 1 yr extension). I had overlooked this, it was immigration who pointed it out (UK childs passport has 5 years validity, not 10). So now, instead of having a full years extension, he only has until the date of expiry of the passport. Immigration told me to get a new passport, the the remainder of the visa can be issued. No apparent problems at the immigration end.

Can anybody help with the proceedure for obtaining the new passport ?

Is it a matter of taking the old one in to the British embassy, explaining the situation, birth certificate, a couple of thousand baht and a couple of photos ? Is it necessary to take my son with me ? The current passport expires Feb 2005.

Its a bit of a trek to BKK, I want to make sure I have everything I need when I go, also don't want to drag him all the way there unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance,

INTJ.

Just go to the British Embassy with the old passport, photographs and your own passport.

You can get the form and fill it in immediately and make the application.

It takes about a week to process.

Transfer of the visa should be straight forward.

Though Lopburi makes a good point that your child should have a Thai passport as well, then no visa will be reguired

I have just renewed my British passport and it expired one month before my 'O' visa.

I renewed the passport through the post (pay the 30 baht extra each way EMS fee for peace of mind) and it took less than two weeks. The form can be down loaded from the embassy web site.

A passport can be renewed up to six months before expiry and you 'lose' those six months if you do, ie the new date of expiry is ten years (5 for child) from the date of renewal, not expiry of the old passport.

The cost is a little more than the 2,000 baht you thought, it was well of 5,000 for my ten year one. You'll need two photos, one certified on the back by a qualified person as being a true likeness. Details on the explanatory leaflet, also downloadable from the embassy web site.

I went to immigration at Nong Khai and they transferred all the necessary visas etc and gave me back the month I lost on my 'O' visa. There's a simple form to fill in with the old and new passport numbers, but there's no charge and they were very helpfull. It took about 25 minutes and is the neatest visa you'll ever get in your passport, applied with care after being tried out on a scrap of paper first.

I hope this helps, that's that over for another ten years.

Lung Bing

• 3 months later...

I need to renew the UK passport of my daughter and will be doing so by post but cannot find the cost in Thai Baht and how much to add for postage.Does anyone know?

I have looked at the Embassy website and it does not mention cost in Thai Baht.I sent them an e-mail but they sent an attachement back i cannot download. :o

Just did this on Monday for twins who have both UK and Thai passports.

The cost for a childs passport in Thai Baht is 2735 Baht - add 40 baht for return by EMS.

You can send Postal Orders or a cheque

(if you dont have a Thai cheque book, get your Thai bank to make you a cheque out, payable to "British Embassy") or pay the commision on postal orders to the Post office.

This link gives you all the information you need:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065714376627

If you need to phone the consular department then they are on Extension 2334

this saves you dealing with the halfwits who answer the phone half the time!

Edited by croftrobin