Squid Dishes?

Simmo

Never knew I liked squid until now.

Loving "pla muek nam phrik pao". Squid with chilli paste

What are some other thai variations on squid dishes that your average street vendor does?

How does squid compare to pork ,chicken for fat content ??

Basically, Any dish that you see done with Chicken, Pork, or Beef, can be done with Squid too. Unfortunately Squid is not as widely available on 'The average street vendors' stall as the other meats previously mentioned. I love Tom Yum with Seafood (with lots of Squid). Many restaurants will have a good variety of squid dishes, I generally just order one and hope for the best!!!

The fat content of squid varies between 1 and 5% (Apparently).

http://www.foodmarketexchange.com/datacent..._squid_0204.htm

Edited by thecatman

Squid, low in fat but HIGH in choleserol, and I do not think it is the good kind! I love it too. I came upon it later in life (when and where I grew up, it was considered as strange as eating insects).

Choose shellfish occasionally. Shellfish has little saturated fat in general, but its cholesterol content varies--some (like squid, shrimp, and oysters) are fairly high while others (like scallops, mussels, and clams) are low

Not a street stall dish but it is wonderful in coconut milk, as a soup with lemongrass and lime juice. You can even throw in a few chilis if you like. The squid may dye the soup a light purple color, but it is quite delicious.

Beat the H3ll out of it!

The Greek way of treating squid - is to tenderize it by smashing it on a rock for a while. (After removing internal organs.)

Remove the bit of plastic from inside and cut the body into rings, make a simple batter from egg and flour, then deep fry until light brown - cooking too long makes the flesh tough. Serve with lemon juice and a cold beer, comsume as the sun sets.

[Discovery Channel moment: The bit of plastic is really the creature's skeleton and is called a 'gladius".]

The Italians make a nice squid ink pasta dish. (Google for it.)

Coincidence! I was told in bed this morning that a Squid BBQ is being planned for Sunday. Thinking about the last time I 'enjoyed' Thai style BBQ squid makes me want to experiment with a lightly cooked (currently thinking boiled) whole intact squid body stuffed with a mixture of boiled rice and a tin of small mackrel (Pla Saba), then finished on the BBQ.

Please post how your squid turned out....

Edited by Cuban

The Greek way of treating squid - is to tenderize it by smashing it on a rock for a while. (After removing internal organs.) This sistem is used for octopus.
I'll take this issue up with my Greek friend that explained the process of preparing squid to me - he pointed out that you only need to do it on the larger squid as the small ones were fine fried whole.

No idea about the inks - just eaten it - never cooked it. I get all my inks from Tukcom.

With the smaller (Thumbsize) Squid stuff'em with minced pork 9seasoned to taste), glassnoodles and prepare soup... :"TOM CHUED PLAMUK YA SAI"

Or mediteranean style: hot plate, heavy pan, olive oil, mixed italian seasoning, garlic to taste, cook'em until done!

there are many, many ways to prepare squid... no google?

Edited by Samuian

I came home from work and the wife tells me "this your meal just mix together"before she went to work.The rum was to make a rum and coke to wash it down with. :o I am not sure what you call it except squid with vegtables.

post-14263-1210969754_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1210969766_thumb.jpg

I usually do the tentacles in the smoker, do chicken wings in it too.

My smoker is a metal box in two sections, the bottom section supplies the heat and the top section you place sawdust on the bottom and there are 2 trays which you place the fish squid or whatever and the put the lid on.

I have a burner which runs on metho so you light that and place the smoke box over the top, 10 mins later you have smoked squid.

What are some other thai variations on squid dishes that your average street vendor does?

Not common street food (YMMV), but my fave is pla muek pad khai khem. Hard to get a really good one, though.

:o

Squid is alright...but I like cuttlefish. It used to be you could get cuttlefish barbecued on the grill and chopped up in a paper bag with some wooden skewers to eat it just outside the theaters in BKK. I loved that stuff. No need for popcorn or such as long as they had the cuttlefish with nam pla on it. I guess the theaters now in BKK have gone to "up class" for that kind of thing.

Cuttlefish is full of cholesteral too. But anyhow, you have to die from something, so enjoy while you can.

Quote from that link for the health conscious...

"The distinctive, sweet taste of squid meat is due to the abundant nitrogen present in the protein. The fat content of the meat varies from one to five percent, being particularly high in cholesterol. But since the quantity of fat is so low, the amount of cholesterol present does not constitute a health hazard, even to those who are on a diet. The components of squid meat provide about 85 calories of energy per 100 grams of raw meat."

Sounds good to me!

• 1 month later...
I came home from work and the wife tells me "this your meal just mix together"before she went to work.The rum was to make a rum and coke to wash it down with. :o I am not sure what you call it except squid with vegtables.

You have a nice wife!!! :D

I just posted a 'tiny squid' entry that is easy to make. But, you need some Chardonnay to go with it.