In Singapore - Price Comparisons

I'm staying in Singapore for a few days before I head back to Australia for a month or so. It feels a little bit like culture shock arriving here after having been in Thailand the last 6 months or so. The cleanliness, brilliant public transport, drivers obeying traffic lights, toilets flushing properly and water you can drink out of the tap. Singapore has always been a nice place to spend a few days in, Asia in the first world.

I enjoy the botanical gardens and the magnificent orchid collection there, Little India, the zoo (if you're into animals) and luckily for me the horse racing is on at Kranji tomorrow.

Cost wise, you pay for this, though all round probably not as expensive as Australia. Here are some current prices, based on 23 baht to the singapore dollar - MRT train ride (35 - 70 baht), shoe box room with aircon and toilet down the hall (870 baht), large bowl of noodles and meat at the local food court (115 baht), large bottle of tiger beer at the same place (120 baht), newspaper (17 baht), coffee at starbucks (120 baht), cinema ticket at vivo city (200 baht), can of coke (23 baht). Accomodation is the real killer here, I was lucky to find an air conditioned single room so cheap. The food, whilst not as varied or as cheap as Thailand, is delicious and reasonably priced at places where the locals eat. Beer is expensive and if you like pubs and bars can get very pricey, particularly down near boat quay and the city area.

I find the people polite and helpful enough, but they have unfortunately, caught the western malady of avoiding eye contact and rarely smiling, preferring to keep their own counsel with mobile phones. The streets lack the conviviality and atmosphere of Thailand, with its street vendors and variety of customers. I think this is why I always like coming back to Thailand, these westernised countries, whilst clean and sanitised bore me after a while.

Yeah food prices are rising slowly - I find i am paying an average of around 8 SGD a day for a mal now but I do mix it up between western, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Indo etc - I would say the food is more varied by far than Thailand

Yes beer is expensive esp where you say and its where I drink ie Boat Quay.

After last year's bull run property rentals are out of sight. 1500 sq ft private apartment in an area closer to the center of town will run you more than US$3,000-4000/m. If you can find a place that large in government subsidized estates, it'll be close to US$1500. Those are approximately double the rates 18 months ago thanks to appreciation in the S$, the long-term immigration plan and integrated resorts. The people are gruff compared to Thailand.

After last year's bull run property rentals are out of sight. 1500 sq ft private apartment in an area closer to the center of town will run you more than US$3,000-4000/m. If you can find a place that large in government subsidized estates, it'll be close to US$1500. Those are approximately double the rates 18 months ago thanks to appreciation in the S$, the long-term immigration plan and integrated resorts. The people are gruff compared to Thailand.

Check the propery pages again - yes they went crazy last year about this time but now they have settled down again. If you want to live in the Orchard Road area yes you will pay for it - what do you pay in a similar area in Bangkok with similar quality build?

I just saw a nice place in Maplewood (Bukit Timah where I live now and considered a very desirable area esp for families) for about 3500 SGD given the location and resort living which is fine. City lights a Lavender are going for less than 3000

As for HDB what you refer too at 1500 USD - maybe they ask it but my pal a Dr has a 5 room Exec in a sought after estate for 1400 Sing a month

Then again - we get salaries to pay for it all and in SGD so the USD falling does not hurt us!

PS: I forgot to mention do not take what those scum sucking swamp monsters that are the <deleted> that are singapore property agents say with anything but a large pinch of sodium chloride - they will lie through their teeth to landlord and tenant alike to inflate prices - what is advertised is often notwhast is paid esp in a bear market such as now with the septics having financial problems so not many incomers.

Edited by Prakanong

Is this Maplewoods the condo you're talking about? When was the last time you checked rates or are you talking about an 850sq ft apartment?

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/housing-in-...ods-sESTATE.htm

Some are bigger for that price on this site which is better than any of the expat site who are populated by expat agents thinking they can cream higher rents from newbies

http://www.iproperty.com.sg/property/searc...mp;k=maplewoods

Remember you will be negotiating down in the current market plus my company rep has a incentive to negotiate down for us

You are stuck in last year's mindset sunny jim - do you actually live in Singapore or are you one of those scummy agents

If I told you my condo name very close to Maplewoods you would come up with rents of close to 5000 as well I bet - I currently pay 2700 but of course would not get this on renewal - it will be nowhere the 5000 you wil lread about though

Listen and learn matey

I'm staying in Singapore for a few days before I head back to Australia for a month or so. It feels a little bit like culture shock arriving here after having been in Thailand the last 6 months or so. The cleanliness, brilliant public transport, drivers obeying traffic lights, toilets flushing properly and water you can drink out of the tap. Singapore has always been a nice place to spend a few days in, Asia in the first world.

I enjoy the botanical gardens and the magnificent orchid collection there, Little India, the zoo (if you're into animals) and luckily for me the horse racing is on at Kranji tomorrow.

Cost wise, you pay for this, though all round probably not as expensive as Australia. Here are some current prices, based on 23 baht to the singapore dollar - MRT train ride (35 - 70 baht), shoe box room with aircon and toilet down the hall (870 baht), large bowl of noodles and meat at the local food court (115 baht), large bottle of tiger beer at the same place (120 baht), newspaper (17 baht), coffee at starbucks (120 baht), cinema ticket at vivo city (200 baht), can of coke (23 baht). Accomodation is the real killer here, I was lucky to find an air conditioned single room so cheap. The food, whilst not as varied or as cheap as Thailand, is delicious and reasonably priced at places where the locals eat. Beer is expensive and if you like pubs and bars can get very pricey, particularly down near boat quay and the city area.

I find the people polite and helpful enough, but they have unfortunately, caught the western malady of avoiding eye contact and rarely smiling, preferring to keep their own counsel with mobile phones. The streets lack the conviviality and atmosphere of Thailand, with its street vendors and variety of customers. I think this is why I always like coming back to Thailand, these westernised countries, whilst clean and sanitised bore me after a while.

You forgot to mention the joy of people walking into you all the time. And if you want a break from the cleanliness, just take a taxi out of the centre to say East Coast Road in Katong - no litter in Singapore (mmmm).