KL Issuing Non-O 1 Year Visas

Just had a non-o 1 year multi entry visa issued by Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur last Wednesday (14th). Processed overnight. Fee RM550.

I had with me:

- signed copy of wife's ID card (both sides)

- signed copy of house book (all pages)

- signed copy of marriage document from Amphur office (the official form, not the fancy certificate)

I also had the originals of these documents with me.

The woman at the counter asked for the fancy marriage certificate. I explained that the document I had was the "official" certificate and after confirming with a Thai colleague she accepted this.

She did say to me that next time I should bring my bank statements, but exactly why I'm not sure. If bank statements were a requirement to issue a non-o visa then my visa should not have been issued. It would appear that this requirement is discretionary depending on the mood of the officer on the day.

Besides, if the purpose of a non-o visa is to be able to be in Thailand with my family and if I am working outside Thailand, I wouldn't necessarily need or have a Thai bank account so the requirement for bank statements does not make any sense to me.

I got the visa anyway so I guess the end result is what counts.

The document I had is Kor Ror 2 (extract from the Amphur register). The fancy certificate I believe is Kor Ror 3.

They will only give the "fancy" one out once, if anything happens to that certificate they will not issue it again. In my case it was in my car when it was stolen, so I needed to go back to the amphur and get the other form. It is not as pretty but it is the same thing...

Does anyone know if KL will renew an Non Immigrant O if I am not married? Am British, 38 yrs old, have a house being built but not finished so no house book yet. My income comes thru monthly from my company in UK and have bank account with Bangkok Bank. Need to renew before mid July. Really do not want to go back to UK to renew.

Any help appreciated....

Thanks for those answers, quite direct and to the point.

I see that this site advertises Educational Visas to learn Thai. Well I have to learn properly somehow so does anyone know if there is a course in Huahin that offers a similar course and visa? This way I combine two requirements! Perfect - or is it?

The document I had is Kor Ror 2 (extract from the Amphur register). The fancy certificate I believe is Kor Ror 3.

They will only give the "fancy" one out once, if anything happens to that certificate they will not issue it again. In my case it was in my car when it was stolen, so I needed to go back to the amphur and get the other form. It is not as pretty but it is the same thing...

When we married, we received two copies of the "fancy" one...one for each I assume. A few days later we were at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for an unrelated matter. I brought along two color copies that I did on the DeskJet (shameless employer plug :o ). I had those certified as "true copies"...now we have some spares.

• 2 months later...