Replacing Glass, Screens And Bars

Valjean

I recently bought a house in Bangkok with nice wooden casement windows with divided lights (30x30 cm). They are for the most part in very good shape and I want to keep them. In some areas of the house there are fixed divided lights windows. Many of the windows have a transom window above them. All of these are covered with bars and the operating windows with screens.

Replacing Screens. Right now they are the sliver aluminum frames and screens that on top of the dark wood windows and frames isn’t at all attractive. Also many aren’t hinged which makes opening and closing the windows a hassle as I have to take off the screen first. A simple replacement would just be to have all hinged screens with black (or brown if that exists) frames. I did see the roll-up screens at a mall the other day and thought they could be interesting for some places. Suggestions on screens?

Replacing Glass & Reducing Bars. I would like to eliminate or at least reduce the number of bars. One place that seems obvious to start is the fixed windows. I have heard there is a very hard laminated or tempered glass and I’ve been wondering if anyone knows what this is called, local brands and perhaps shops that sell it. I’d like to get an idea what it would cost to have a glazier come out and replace all the glass in these windows. I know I’d lose the deterrent effect of bars but is this glass hard enough to withstand a good smack with a hammer? Suggestions or ideas on this?

Thanks

There is always the optiion of perspex safety glass or depending on frame thickness glass bricks

Good luck

I am in the process of retro fitting the work my builders have done on a NEW house !

Plan safety and logic seem to be sideways to my Irish eyes but the men work harder than I can in this heat.

I guess in depends nor so much on budget but how precise fast you need the work done.