Thai Language Class In The Evening?

angelal

I've spent the better part of this morning researching information on Thai language schools, on this forum and others, and I cannot find an answer to my question. I live and work in Chiang Mai, and I want to study Thai. I teach full-time at a university here in town, and before coming here I was told by them that I would be able to study Thai at the university free-of-charge. However, once I got here they told me that they only offer their course as a full-time, all-day intensive class. I work full-time during the day for them, teaching English. :o Unfortunately, I haven't yet mastered the art of being in two places at once, so I am still without a Thai class. All of the other schools I've found only offer classes during the day. I cannot take classes during the day because I work full-time. I'm only available in the evenings.

Do you know of any reputable evening beginning-Thai courses here in Chiang Mai? I don't want a private tutor at this point; I'd much prefer a class with a communicative approach. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You may want to look into A.U.A. Language Center on 73 Rajadamnern Road, half a block down from Tha Phae Gate (basically the first part of the Sunday Walking Street). I've never taken a class there at night (only in the afternoon), but when I drive by at night there are always students coming out of the buildings. So worth a try. Some of their classes fill up fast, but they'll always opening up another one if there is a demand for one. Their website is currently down, but you could try calling this number 053278407 (number I have from a couple of years ago).

At the YMCA, the current brochure advertises courses in Elmentary Thai, levels 1 to 6, from 4 pm to 6 pm. Each course is MWF for six weeks, with the next course starting June 6. Phone is 053-22-1819, email is cmymcaschool (at) ymcachiangmai.org.

Thank you for the suggestion!

I looked at the description on their website, and the Elementary Thai class has a prerequisite that students already be able to "read and write using Thai script and understand the rules of the Thai alphabet." That's not me, unfortunately. The course that would be best for me is their Standard Thai course, and it's only offered from 10am - 12pm.

You may want to look into A.U.A. Language Center on 73 Rajadamnern Road, half a block down from Tha Phae Gate (basically the first part of the Sunday Walking Street). I've never taken a class there at night (only in the afternoon), but when I drive by at night there are always students coming out of the buildings. So worth a try. Some of their classes fill up fast, but they'll always opening up another one if there is a demand for one. Their website is currently down, but you could try calling this number 053278407 (number I have from a couple of years ago).

I looked at their website (is this the right one?), and it says that group courses are offered from 10am - 12 or 1 - 3pm, and individual classes are offered 8am - 4:30pm. However, I will contact them directly to see if there are other options.

Thanks for your help!