Best 3g Phone Available

girlx

I see siamphone list the HTC Diamond but I assume its not available yet ?

http://www.siamphone.com/catalog/htc/touch_diamond.htm

Any ideas on what these things will sell for in Thailand.....~Bt20,000 / $650 ?? or perhaps they'll have to match the price of the new 3G Iphone ?

there is lot of small PDA's in the market with phone, GPS, Wifi, big screen and windows office software and so on that suit internet browsing in the coffee shop better than iPod.

could you name a couple so i can check them out?

Yes, HTC is one and quite popular. Sold all around BKK and best deals propably in MBK.

Also HP has some with nice features but bit bulky.

Latest on AIS 3G network....

Ais Signs Up Just 100 Customers to its 3g Service

Thailand's Advanced Info Service (AIS) has blamed a lack of radio spectrum for the lack of interest in its test 3G network in Chiang Mai which was launched a couple of weeks ago. The company has not been able to promote the service effectively and said that it has signed up just 100 new customers to the 3G network. The 3G network is one of the first to run in the 900Mhz spectrum band as the country has not released any licenses for the more conventional 2.1Ghz bands.

AIS says that it plans to expand the service to Bangkok in mid-June. The company has however only been allowed by the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to install 30 base stations for its 3G network. The company has already set aside US$600 million for the first phase of 3G mobile phone services. A further expansion to Hua Hin, Chon Buri and Phuket is also proposed - but only if customer interest supports it.

AIS President, Wichian Mektrakarn told the Bangkok Post that the company's technicians were concerned that heavy data downloads by up to 5,000 users would be beyond the network's capabilities. Mr Mektrakarn said operators did not expect 3G service on the existing spectrum to be very profitable. When the 2100 MHz spectrum is permitted, then all operators would move more aggressively.

AIS and rival operators are waiting for the regulator to award conventional 3G licenses in the 2.1Ghz bands during the first half of this year. However, as 3G phones support viable video streaming, there have been disputes as to whether the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), which overseas TV services should be involved in the process. The argument seems spurious as it has been "technically" possible for even analogue phones to stream video services, albeit at very slow refresh rates.

Figures from the Mobile World report that AIS ended last year with just over 24.1 million subscribers - representing a dominating market share of 45.5%. AIS Chief executive Vikrom Sriprataks has previously said that the country's population penetration level is expected to reach 100% during 2008 with 64 million subscribers, up from 52.3 million by the end of last year.

On the web: Bangkok Post - Mobile World

Posted to the site on 20th May 2008

Posted to: www.cellular-news.com/story/31264.php

ooh the HTC Diamond Touch looks great! I also saw another HTC phone with great reviews in the Bangkok Post this week. does anyone know if the Diamond is available yet here? otherwise it's between the Nokia N95 8GB or the Nokia E51 for now.

I was impressed with the N95 Nokia 8GB but choked on the price. Since I have a Garmin GPS, The GPS was of little use to me. That made the decision much easier. I am really happy with my E51 and at a little over 10,000 baht, the price wasn't so bad. I went from a Nokia N80 to the E51 and I think the E51 is a better, easier to use phone. The WiFi works great also. My biggest complaint about the N80 was battery life. The E51 has a bigger battery and the life is quite good.

i agree, the N95 is super expensive and i think it is an ugly phone. i am leaning towards the E51 because it go great reviews and i have seen it for 9000b.

3G iPhones will start appearing mid June:

http://gizmodo.com/391960/iphone-3g-launch-date-confirmed

Of course in all likelihood they won't work with AIS 3G, though they might work with DTAC once DTAC has 3G.

What's certain is that it will most definitely cost you more than BHT 9000 :o

I find it impossible to even consider other smart phones after using the iPhone. I must admit that S60 annoyed me even before the iPhone was out, and Win Mobile seemed even worse in terms of usability. But after using an iPhone for a while going back is just not an option. A normal phone-phone, OK - no problem. Any Nokia is great for making calls, maybe slightly better than an iPhone. But for using camera, album, alarm, calendar, ipod, browser, email, even sms it doesn't compare. All of which I suddenly find myself using on a daily basis.

Edited by nikster

Of course in all likelihood they won't work with AIS 3G, though they might work with DTAC once DTAC has 3G.

What's certain is that it will most definitely cost you more than BHT 9000 :o

I find it impossible to even consider other smart phones after using the iPhone. I must admit that S60 annoyed me even before the iPhone was out, and Win Mobile seemed even worse in terms of usability. But after using an iPhone for a while going back is just not an option. A normal phone-phone, OK - no problem. Any Nokia is great for making calls, maybe slightly better than an iPhone. But for using camera, album, alarm, calendar, ipod, browser, email, even sms it doesn't compare. All of which I suddenly find myself using on a daily basis.

Whats the Iphone like for typing emails. Worse, same, or better than a smartphone with conventional qwerty keypad ?

I want a 3G phone primarily for business use so would the HTC Touch Diamond running Windows Mobile be more suitable than Apples Iphone ?

Wondering if the 3G Iphone or HTC Diamond will be good enough to use as a secondary portable computer instead of an EeePc or similar ?

I saw a UK website that had pre orders for the HTC Diamond priced at 430 pounds !

As for the Nokia E51 for Bt9000, looks like good bang for buck

Nikster

You know what i mean about iphone, dont know if its better now, but what about windows programs that many people use??

think its good for Apple people thats about it.

and have you ever tried HTC?

i had an iphone, well for the moment i will not even have one for free, and its to big.

Forgot to say i have never had a problem with windows6.0 mobile, or with symbian that i have in my Nokia and Sony E

Edited by HDRIDER

What's certain is that it will most definitely cost you more than BHT 9000 :D

Whats the Iphone like for typing emails. Worse, same, or better than a smartphone with conventional qwerty keypad ?

I want a 3G phone primarily for business use so would the HTC Touch Diamond running Windows Mobile be more suitable than Apples Iphone ?

Wondering if the 3G Iphone or HTC Diamond will be good enough to use as a secondary portable computer instead of an EeePc or similar ?

I saw a UK website that had pre orders for the HTC Diamond priced at 430 pounds !

As for the Nokia E51 for Bt9000, looks like good bang for buck

Keyboard - it's great for anyone that doesn't have huge fingers. It takes about 2 weeks or so to "get it", after that it works better than other mobile keyboards mostly because of the very smart error correction. It's like T9 on steroids. You will make errors as you type, but you just ignore them and let the error correction do it's thing and it's good enough to make this very efficient. I can type very fast on the iPhone. Editing text already written is also way more snazzy than I have seen, and very efficient. You just point your finger where you want to insert, and after a short delay a loupe will appear that displays the area underneath magnified so you can very easily place the caret with your finger. It looks great, but more importantly, it also works great. Beats cursor keys by a mile.

I have never seriously written emails on any phone before the iPhone, but I also didn't own a blackberry or other email machine. So I don't dare to say whether or not it works better. I just know that it needs some getting used to because it works differently, so trying it in the store for 2 minutes doesn't do it justice.

The iPhone obviously doesn't do Excel or Word documents (yet) so I if you actually use this on your mobile that won't work.

I think S60 and WinMo are both horrible to use, but hey, to each his own. iPhone for business is probably going to come soon once 3rd party apps are going to get developed. But as of now, probably not. I am never clear on what business use means, but usually it means integration with some MS products and that's not there as of now.

There is an SDK and professional 3rd party apps are going to ship starting in June. It's safe to predict there will be an absolute deluge of apps for a few reasons: There are already thousands of "inofficial" apps that have been created by people who have hacked the phone and and written a whole tool chain just for the iPhone which is just a huge piece of work compared to the comforts of the SDK which makes it easy for everyone. There are several $100 Million in funding for iPhone apps. And the SDK is very nice to use, and the platform is a proper full-fledged unix operating system (OS X, really, minus a few bits and pieces).

I agree that the E51 looks like a good bang for the buck tho :o

i asked at MBK today and they said the Diamond Touch will be here next month and will be around 35000-40000b!!!!!!! :o I looked today at an HTC TYTN which has a flip up keyboard- it's very nice too but also 34000b.

but i think the iPhone 3G will be about the same...

how about the iPhone 16gb that they have out now? with the wi-fi that it does have, do you think it would be sufficient for using in Europe until all the 3G networks are solid? it runs about 20000-25000b depending on where you look.

still leaning towards the nokia E51 for the next year or so.

Edited by girlx

Keyboard - it's great for anyone that doesn't have huge fingers. It takes about 2 weeks or so to "get it", after that it works better than other mobile keyboards mostly because of the very smart error correction

Thanks for the info, thats what I thought/hoped would be the case

i asked at MBK today and they said the Diamond Touch will be here next month and will be around 35000-40000b!!!!!!! :o .

This UK website advertises them at 429pounds = $840 = Bt27000

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/5508...ne/Product.html

Interesting... I went to this web site today to check the feature set on different Nokia phones, using its filtering tools... http://www.gsmarena.com/

I checked all listed Nokia phones, and filtered to want only quad band voice models that also support 850 AND 2100 band 3G... That produced aboug 16 current or coming models of different varieties...

But then I checked each of those looking for another feature, Wifi, with WLAN b/g...

The only Nokia phone that emerged from that screen was the E51 and its sister model E51 without camera....

My own E61i got knocked out because while it has good Wifi, it only has 3G on the 2100 band.

i asked at MBK today and they said the Diamond Touch will be here next month and will be around 35000-40000b!!!!!!! :o I looked today at an HTC TYTN which has a flip up keyboard- it's very nice too but also 34000b.

but i think the iPhone 3G will be about the same...

how about the iPhone 16gb that they have out now? with the wi-fi that it does have, do you think it would be sufficient for using in Europe until all the 3G networks are solid? it runs about 20000-25000b depending on where you look.

still leaning towards the nokia E51 for the next year or so.

Link to page 3 of an initial review of HTC Touch Diamond suggest RRP in Singapore of SGD1098 which equates to USD807

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view....d=2561&pg=3

If one were to equate the Diamond moniker with premium pricing, fret not, as HTC has expressed that the Diamond will be available for S$1098, which sees a lower entry price as compared to both the Cruise and TyTN II, and will be retail ready in the month of June.

As a business 3G phone, the more I read about the Diamond the more I like it .

Will reserve judgement until we get the reviews and also see what Apples 3G Iphone and Sony Ericsons Xperia comes up with.

I guess it's a matter of priorities. The MOST expensive phone I ever bought was the Nokia N80. I won't spend that much money on a phone again. Actually the only thing I was really interested in was a phone that had good audio (call) properties and good Internet capabilities, EDGE in particular. A decent camera is a plus but not that important either. Music, huge memory and an FM radio are a total waste to me.

I did put a one GIG memory card in my E51 but only because I already had it. Since EDGE works pretty well, even the WiFi capability is seldom used. I don't like touch screens either. Other than my Garmin GPS, I think they are a pain to use.

Different strokes for different folks for sure. :o

I guess it's a matter of priorities. The MOST expensive phone I ever bought was the Nokia N80. I won't spend that much money on a phone again. Actually the only thing I was really interested in was a phone that had good audio (call) properties and good Internet capabilities, EDGE in particular. A decent camera is a plus but not that important either. Music, huge memory and an FM radio are a total waste to me.

I did put a one GIG memory card in my E51 but only because I already had it. Since EDGE works pretty well, even the WiFi capability is seldom used. I don't like touch screens either. Other than my Garmin GPS, I think they are a pain to use.

Different strokes for different folks for sure. :o

Yep, depends on what you're gonna use it for.

I was thinking of getting an EeePC900 (when available) for road trips/secondary computer but I'd still need to buy a 3G phone or Air/Express card

The HTC Diamond does this in one so looking at it that way the $800 price tag is justifiable

Apple 3G Iphone will be interesting too but I'm leaning towards windows mobile devices atm for business use and I run windows on my home computer.

Dont care much for the other Windows 3G PDA/smartphones I've researched, to heavy/bulky for everyday carrying around in the pocket. If you've gotta carry it in a bag then may as well get an ultra portable notebook.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd hold out for the new iphone if I were you Girlx, the old one knocks spots off any other phone i've used and the 3G looks even better and will have full office support for word, excel and powerpoint as well as PDF. Mobile me looks interesting as well (although $99 a year) But the new iphone at $199 is a bargin (not officially supported in Thailand though) I'd expect it to be around 10000bt in MBK and the like, unlocked if it can be. Formware 2.0 has already been cracked.

Edit: ok that price maybe a bit optomistic but hey you never know :o

Edited by miniwai

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handhelds/0,3...3574746p,00.htm

the Samsung SGH i900 looks like a worthy contender for the 3G Iphone

Its lighter, 122grms vs 133grms and has the same size display, 3.5"

for the business user it runs WM6 so you get word, excel etc

I'd hold out for the new iphone if I were you Girlx, the old one knocks spots off any other phone i've used and the 3G looks even better and will have full office support for word, excel and powerpoint as well as PDF

Is it correct that the new 3G Iphone can view excel, word, but not edit it ?

The other hot contender is the HTC diamond, 2.8" screen but very light and apparently great interface.

Here's an extensive blogg review for the HTC Diamond

http://htc-resource.blogspot.com/

But the new iphone at $199 is a bargin (not officially supported in Thailand though)

I wonder if it is possible to order an unlocked one at this price from the States!

• 2 weeks later...
But the new iphone at $199 is a bargin (not officially supported in Thailand though)

I wonder if it is possible to order an unlocked one at this price from the States!

This website lists the these latest 3G phones at following prices

Samsung Omnia i900 $600

HTC Touch Diamond $500

Iphone 3G 16GB $500

http://phonemartstores.com/index.php

I havent gone through the process of setting up an account so dont know if those prices have are valid once you get to checkout.

I know the HTC and Omnia were estimated to sell for ~US$750 in Singapore so the phonemartstore prices semm a bit hard to believe.

Anyone tried them,....other comments ?

Samsung Omnia i900 $600

HTC Touch Diamond $500

Iphone 3G 16GB $500

I havent gone through the process of setting up an account so dont know if those prices have are valid once you get to checkout.

I know the HTC and Omnia were estimated to sell for ~US$750 in Singapore so the phonemartstore prices semm a bit hard to believe.

Yeah, I don't know about the other two but the iPhone 3G isn't out yet so I am sure this website will be happy to accept your $500 pre-payment but whether it means anything is questionable. The iPhone 3G was "available" on ebay a month ago .. beware of the internets... :o

$500 seems like a fair price though, comparing the subsidized 3G iPhone price vs. a HTC Touch subsidized price on AT&T. You will need to wait until July/August to get a definite quote though. I am pretty sure these will show up relatively quickly in malls around Thailand too.

Samsung Omnia i900 $600

HTC Touch Diamond $500

Iphone 3G 16GB $500

Yeah, I don't know about the other two but the iPhone 3G isn't out yet so I am sure this website will be happy to accept your $500 pre-payment but whether it means anything is questionable. The iPhone 3G was "available" on ebay a month ago .. beware of the internets... :o

$500 seems like a fair price though, comparing the subsidized 3G iPhone price vs. a HTC Touch subsidized price on AT&T. You will need to wait until July/August to get a definite quote though. I am pretty sure these will show up relatively quickly in malls around Thailand too.

I emailed phonemartstore about the Samsung Omnia. Their answers were vague. They claim to ship worldwide but only accept moneygram payments. Seems suspect.