How To Divorce In Thailand?

wineman

Englishman married to a Thai.

How do they go about getting a divorce? One person has told me it's very difficult and takes a long time. Sombody else said you both go to an amphur and it takes about 10 minutes.

Anyone know please?

If both willing & there is no issue about maintanance/kid/property division etc then a trip to the Amphur they were married at should take care of it. The amphur will probably ask that there is no issues on the things I mentioned & if both agree then a divorce can be granted.

If both willing & there is no issue ......

Under given circumstances, it took me 5 Minutes and 20 ThB! :o

Very, very important is that the male gets the "Divorce Certificate" on the spot, otherwise, there could be loopholes!

Edited by Samuian

You must also BOTH surrender your original marriage certificates. If you don't have both of them, you must file a police report claiming one was lost. The Amphur will accept a police report.

Remember this will be done in Thai so if you have any issues, it is better to take somebody with you that speaks and reads the language. You will have to sign the decree to make it official.

Better count on one hour to do it.

You must also BOTH surrender your original marriage certificates. If you don't have both of them, you must file a police report claiming one was lost. The Amphur will accept a police report.

Remember this will be done in Thai so if you have any issues, it is better to take somebody with you that speaks and reads the language. You will have to sign the decree to make it official.

Better count on one hour to do it.

Thanks all for your helpful replies. Just 2 more questions:

What does the paperwork consist of?

Do they really have to go to the amphur where they got married? I was told they can go to a local one.

You can go to any amphur. We married in BKK, divorced in Pattaya.

The paper work consists of a statement of the facts of your divorce, hand written by a clerk in the amphur's office. You will then meet with a higher ranking bureaucrat and asked if all this is true.

If you agree, both of you sign the document and you will receive a laminated divorce decree, to replace that marriage certificate you so desperately wanted long before.

a small anecdote on divorce in Banglamung;

Was getting married on Valentines day years ago. Loads of people down the office in Naklua.

This english lad staggers in the door with 2 stunners who it turns out were sisters and all 3 of them steaming drunk.

They qeued accordingly and were giggling and chuckling to themselves and generally having a great day out.

About an hour later they got to the table they were qeueing for and after a bit of a natter with the guy behind it, the said guy went ab-so-lutely banana's ! ...stood up behind the desk and started shouting at them to get out and not to disrespect the day that was in it, who did they think they were, blah, bah....

Turned out he wanted to divorce one and marry the other...

not accepted on Vals day it seems.....

You can get divorced at any Amphur. Cost me 500B tea money for the guy behind the desk. Small price to pay for a lifetime of freedom. Just bring your marriage certs, good manners and a bit of patience. I was so keen to get the divorce papers, it seemed to take forever but in reality probably only half an hour.

If both willing & there is no issue ......

Under given circumstances, it took me 5 Minutes and 20 ThB! :o

Very, very important is that the male gets the "Divorce Certificate" on the spot, otherwise, there could be loopholes!

i just asked my wife 4 20 baht 4 a divorce she only gave 10 baht she said its 50/50 :D

How do they go about getting a divorce? One person has told me it's very difficult and takes a long time. Sombody else said you both go to an amphur and it takes about 10 minutes.

Anyone know please?

would there b a money and property issue there by any chance :o

Anyone know please?

i got divorced in pattaya last year. required was the original marriage certificate. i went the day before showed them my marriage certificate, she looked it up on the computer, said to return tomorrow. we were married in a village outside of ubon four years earlier and registered it in a nearby town. i had my soon to be ex-wife meet me there the following day, she had her original marriage certificate, probably some form of id. there was no dispute of property involved, i allowed her to keep the motorcycle and furniture. she paid a few bucks for the divorce and that was it. total time around ten minutes. i am a lot happier. i got divorced twice in america, the first time the lawyers cost me $20,000. the second time $400. i was able to use a paralegal. getting divorced was the best move i made. you will be happier and have more freedom to make choices.

Anyone know please?

i got divorced in pattaya last year. required was the original marriage certificate. i went the day before showed them my marriage certificate, she looked it up on the computer, said to return tomorrow. we were married in a village outside of ubon four years earlier and registered it in a nearby town. i had my soon to be ex-wife meet me there the following day, she had her original marriage certificate, probably some form of id. there was no dispute of property involved, i allowed her to keep the motorcycle and furniture. she paid a few bucks for the divorce and that was it. total time around ten minutes. i am a lot happier. i got divorced twice in america, the first time the lawyers cost me $20,000. the second time $400. i was able to use a paralegal. getting divorced was the best move i made. you will be happier and have more freedom to make choices.

Thanks all for your replies, I have passed the info on to my friend. He expects to have a big problem when it comes to a settlement. His wife will want half the sale value of the house (company owned), otherwise she wil refuse to move out divorced or not.