The 'new' Spicy

thecatman

I was in Chiang Mai just before Songkran and a close friend was telling me that there was a 'New' Spicy opening that very evening. I never did quite make it down there, but was just curious as to what it's like, Any feedback welcome. If my memory serves me it is located right down the bottom end of Loi Khro Road opposite Guitar Man and White Lotus on Charoen Prathet road. A stone's throw from Hotshot. I think the premises was previously one of those karaoke joints.

I was there a couple of weeks ago, Nice venue inside, lots of exposed brick, couple of huge projection screens. The DJ booth is basic - a bench from memory. The DJs the night I was there were ok and mixing up some nice tunes - not standard CM hiphop thank god. There's to much white lighting and lots of lighting spill from the bar area. The drinks are more expensive than Spicy 1. Also there is a 100 Bt cover charge and you get a shot of cheap Tequila at the door.

I was there on a Saturday night and it was fairly quiet. Has lots of potential but needs some decent lighting.

A smoke machine, better lighting and a couple of lazers would make it a nice small club.

I was there a couple of weeks ago, Nice venue inside, lots of exposed brick, couple of huge projection screens. The DJ booth is basic - a bench from memory. The DJs the night I was there were ok and mixing up some nice tunes - not standard CM hiphop thank god. There's to much white lighting and lots of lighting spill from the bar area. The drinks are more expensive than Spicy 1. Also there is a 100 Bt cover charge and you get a shot of cheap Tequila at the door.

I was there on a Saturday night and it was fairly quiet. Has lots of potential but needs some decent lighting.

A smoke machine, better lighting and a couple of lazers would make it a nice small club.

Thanks for that, PJ! I was wondering about the place as well; walked by it about a month ago on a Fri night, and it looked positively forlorn....girls in front were shouting across the street "Wel-come!". Zero foot traffic usually on that street; they better get more than a smoke machine, lasers, and DJ's playing house to pack 'em in.

Howsabout 3 elevated stages, with brass poles to the ceiling, and trapezes and high wires....Czech circus performers in hip-length white patent leather platform boots.....dwarf tossing (VERY politically incorrect, I know).....caged wild animals (I know some forum members who fit the bill)....and NO lighting except black lights....wear your fav Jerry Garcia black tee....

Sound like a weiner, to me.... :o

Thanks for that, PJ! I was wondering about the place as well; walked by it about a month ago on a Fri night, and it looked positively forlorn....girls in front were shouting across the street "Wel-come!". Zero foot traffic usually on that street; they better get more than a smoke machine, lasers, and DJ's playing house to pack 'em in.

Howsabout 3 elevated stages, with brass poles to the ceiling, and trapezes and high wires....Czech circus performers in hip-length white patent leather platform boots.....dwarf tossing (VERY politically incorrect, I know).....caged wild animals (I know some forum members who fit the bill)....and NO lighting except black lights....wear your fav Jerry Garcia black tee....

Sound like a weiner, to me.... :o

I have to admit...

One of my favorite lesiure activities..nutin like a good dwarf toss to make the evening flow.

post-46099-1211384811_thumb.jpg

post-46099-1211384824_thumb.jpg

Does it have a Magic Step?

I'm googling "Magic Step" furiously as we speak...as in the infamous Spicy catch you out step, or is this some esoteric reference to some gnostic cult excercise.....?

As in the catch you out step yes. It really is Magic! shhhh. Its under "spicys magic step. shhhhhh!

Edited by Fantasteak

I'm googling "Magic Step" furiously as we speak...as in the infamous Spicy catch you out step, or is this some esoteric reference to some gnostic cult excercise.....?

Is this the very same "Magic Step" mentioned in a previous thread by a banned former member who bears an amazing resemblance to another member contributing on this thread.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Is this the very same "Magic Step" mentioned in a previous thread by a banned former member who bears an amazing resemblance to another member contributing on this thread.

i do recall something about someone missing a step. falling down and puking gooey stuff all over the floor and the girl he was with running away... are we talking about the same thing?

i do recall something about someone missing a step. falling down and puking gooey stuff all over the floor and the girl he was with running away... are we talking about the same thing?

Gosh! What a lot of fun!!!!!

It's a bit sad really. It could be a nice small club. But the owners/management just think you can through some big screen TVs in, a few speakers and a bench for the DJ and you have a club. The obligation to down a shot of cheap Tequila at the door for the Bt100 entrance fee is a bid no-class as well.

Without any added value, I don't know how the owners think that justifies high drink prices - or will even attract punters. In short. Nice venue, reasonable Deejays, reasonable location, bad management.