The Lowdown Shipping

I am in North Thailand ,and need information on shipping to the USA

If I have approx 10 kilos of textiles and handicrafts, what is the best way to get these to the USA, and how much would the shipping run me/ time to destination.

what about customs duties in the USA - Does the reciever pay these at the post office, or do i have to investigate customs brokers.

any specific phone numbers or points of contact would be excellent

Thank you

Best deal in terms of shipping time, price and convenience is either airmail or EMS for such a small quantity of just 10kgs. Delivery is made to the door of the recipient and hence not customs broker needs to be involved.

Airmail

10kgs to USA: Baht 5,450

EMS

10kgs to USA: Baht 6,440

EMS is about 3 days faster than airmail and also provides you with a shipping receipt and a tracking number your are undoubtedly best off with EMS. Shipment should be delivered at destination within 2-4 days.

EDITED BY RICHARD HALL BECAUSE ORIGINAL POST REFLECTED INCORRECT EMS RATE AND SHIPPING TIME. Sorry.

EMS service is provided at your local post office in Thailand.

Whether and how much duty needs to be paid depends on the merchandise and the declared value. Are these personal effects (used) or merchandise for commercial purposes? Possible duties, taxes etc. to be paid to EMS when the goods are delivered.

In case of textiles please keep in mind that there is a quota regulation in the US. No problem surely in terms of personal effects and/or we are just talking a couple of shirts. Items infringing with trademark regulations should surely be avoided nevertheless.

Decide for yourself objectively whether you declare the shipment as personal effects, gifts, sample or whatever is most appropriate. Include a declaration slip listing the goods individually and declare a customs value of ... US$.

Edited by Richard Hall

These are obviously going to be merchandice - a lot of 30 or so tribal belts - all same same but different and also 30 or so tribal handmade bags

somebody also told me that we have to mark them 'made in thailand'

- So if sent by UPS/EMS - the reciever pays UPS COD (cash on delivery) when they recieve it?

also what is approx customs duty on declared vaule of $400 say?

I've got no idea of the duty rates in the USA.Customs clearance charges are normally included if you use UPS/DHL etc.

Best bet would be for you to call the courier company in the USA and ask them direct.. If you call them here they will then just ask their USA counterpart and you will get shagged around no end. :o

anything imported into the USA needs a Made in ---- tag

It can be a hangtag or a sticker, does not have to be fancy.

If you are sending clothes there might be a quota and the tag may have to give country of origin, materials its made from, and maybe washing instructions (not sure on that)

This is if its a commercial shipment,

20-30 of similiar items MIGHT just be Christmas presents !

I just heard some rumers that DHL has a promotion on sending cases up to 20kg. for 5000baht.

These are handled by DHL when it comes to customs clearance, and sounds pretty cheap to me.

They're located at domestic airport don muang.

Just bring you're goods, and throw it in the box, fill out the papers, and rest will be taken care of.....for 5000 baht (rumors.....i dont know myself).

:o