Scooter Trip

gpdjohn

Thinking about doing a Vespa trip into the "Forbidden Zone" ( Issan ) Alone.

Is it a do-able thing?

Roads good from here to there?

Gas stations?

Plenty of places to stay along the way? ( would only travel approx 100km a day)

Would do my turn-around in Udon.

Monsters and or allot of ghosts?

Wouldn't attempt to pull this off until late July maybe.

Have not been to the nether regions and thought this would be a nice adventure. Sans spouse.

The roads are fine, but you have picked probably the worst time of year to take a trip such as you outline. The "flash floods" you will encounter will cover the wheels on a Vespa :o At 100 Km a day it will take you a week of driving to reach Udon, and the same for the return. Plenty of small Thai hotels along the way, also petrol stations. Good luck and keep posting along the way to let us all know :D

The roads are fine, but you have picked probably the worst time of year to take a trip such as you outline. The "flash floods" you will encounter will cover the wheels on a Vespa :o At 100 Km a day it will take you a week of driving to reach Udon, and the same for the return. Plenty of small Thai hotels along the way, also petrol stations. Good luck and keep posting along the way to let us all know :D

Not withstanding the weather issues, vary your trip by going out via Khon Khen and back via Nong Khai and the road that follows the Mekong, which was the best part for me when I did this last year (by car).

I did that trip 7yrs ago on a honda sonic and cheated a little by putting my bike on a train for the long haul down to korat, then drove to the 'mighty maekhong' and followed it up to nong kai where i hit a dog and my big adventure was over. I averaged 250 kilos per day and enjoyed the scenery. go for it!! and if you wanna take a break, the train ws quite cheap for me and my bike.

Each to their own, and all the best if you go ahead with it. Personally I wouldn't contemplate doing it on anything less than a 250 (bike not scooter). Speed, ride, comfort, safety, visibility, fuel capacity, luggage 'storage', reliability etc. You can still take it just as easy on a bigger bike, but a scooter just doesn't have near enough grunt on tap at 90+ kph to get you out of trouble, overtake safely, stay out of the way of trucks and buses etc.

I'm contemplating a similar trip, but via Chiang Khong, Huai Xai, LP, Vientiane, Nong Kai, up along the Mekong on 211, etc., then back through Isan.

If ya wanna wait a bit till the rains let up a bit, say in a month or so...and not ride solo- let me know. I have a Wave 100 and a CBR 150....probably take the CBR. Done all the north Thailand loops already; looking to check out Isan too, but combined with Laos and the ride from Luang Prabang to Vientiane. :o

Hey Mac,

Got nuting but time.. I 'm in no hurry..

Let me know ..

I'll be on a 1979 Vespa P200E ( 200cc) the "workhorse" of Vespa's..can crank off a good 65mph on the dawg.

Not as much as a 250, but wouldn't be too far behind..

If ya wannna put up with my lousy sense of humor though...