Durian

Mosha

Does anyone know how long it takes for Durian trees to start to bear fruit? My missus keeps insisting on planting more on the land , but the trees she has bought already seem very slow growing.

Does anyone know how long it takes for Durian trees to start to bear fruit? My missus keeps insisting on planting more on the land , but the trees she has bought already seem very slow growing.

4-5 years I believe.

Thanks, that is pretty much as I expected. I think where she insists on planting the fruit trees is just unsuitable. The soil is sandy, we live in like a pan handle for the pan upstream. So the stream at the back of our house is the drain for about 50 - 60 sqkm. At this time of year the stream breaks it's banks on a regular basis. Normally weekly occasionally daily. Often running about 12' above normal. Last year it was in our kitchen. I'm tempted to put Betel nuts back in, at least they seem to grow anywhere.

We're also planting durians at the moment. Been told it's a 5 year wait before first fruits but maybe 10 before a sizeable harvest.

We're planting 'Morn Thong' at 10 metre spacing. Making sure they'll get plenty of light.

Would appreciate any info on what fertilizer they like, problem pests, etc.

Thanks. I was just in time to stop her at the local market this morning. Yesterday I was saying these Durian and Mangosteen are just taking too long to produce anything. Some have been in the ground now 3 years, about 50cm when we got them. Others that are planted where it is drier are about 3 or 4 metres now. The ones at the back of the house are still shorter than me. I'm almost 180cm. So yesterday I said lets put in some sweet coconuts, at least we know they grow ok. On the way to market, and taking her sister, I kept hearing my name. Turns out she is telling my wife to buy Durian! Like we need more of what won't grow!

Just reading in Bkk post about people getting out of Durian growing in favour of rubber

& palm oil. This article also talked about farmers getting out of other fruit & centered on the Chantaburi / Rayong areas. I have grown Durian trees from seeds that have been in fruit we've bought to eat, takes time like has already been said, 5/6 years. Funnily enough, just 'set' some away the other day, now I only hope I live long enough to eat their fruit...lol..

Thanks. I was just in time to stop her at the local market this morning. Yesterday I was saying these Durian and Mangosteen are just taking too long to produce anything. Some have been in the ground now 3 years, about 50cm when we got them. Others that are planted where it is drier are about 3 or 4 metres now. The ones at the back of the house are still shorter than me. I'm almost 180cm. So yesterday I said lets put in some sweet coconuts, at least we know they grow ok. On the way to market, and taking her sister, I kept hearing my name. Turns out she is telling my wife to buy Durian! Like we need more of what won't grow!

Does my mother-in-law count has a pest. She eats more than we sell. :o

I know the feeling Mosha! We also have producing durians and other fruits. The family descends on each harvest like a swarm of locusts. It's a wonder any makes it to market!