Maxnet Indy Adsl1 Or Adsl2/2+?

bobbin

This morning I was reading the thread on static IP and bit torrent. Some of it a bit too technical for me. Previously I have set up port-forwarding on this router but every time I lost power I would lose the rule. The router would not permanently save the rule. Current version of u-torrent has random port setting which works for me but depends on the particular torrent as noted in that thread.

i followed some of the links in that thread about open source firmware etc. and started wondering about the firmware in my router.

I went to the D-Link Thailand site and found there is a newer version than the one I am using.

However... it says it upgrades the router to ADSL2/2+ and cannot be undone (back to ADSL1). But it also says it is "compatible with ADSL1 connectivity". There is a further note tho that says "do not upgrade if you do not have ADSL2/2+ account"

Hmmm. can someone enlighten me further? :o

Where are the gurus? :o

Would like some input before updating the firmware.

Answering my own question..pretty sure Maxnet is NOT adsl2 since that is apparently a higher speed protocol and we all know we are not getting what we pay for already. But perhaps there are bug fixes, etc in this firmware update besides stepping up to adsl2. As well, I read a another post in the forum from someone with an adsl2 router regarding wireless, so obviosly they can be used. Probably all the new models of routers have the capability.

I still want some guru input tho. :D

An ADSL2/2+ router will work with any Thai ADSL provider. ADSL2 is 100% compatible with the ADSL(1) standard.

One advice, if you upgrade, copy all your settings on a pieces of paper. It would not be the first that after upgrading all ADSL settings are back in factory default.

As said before, an ADSL2/2+ router will work on the old ADSL standard.

ADSL already had different standards: G.DMT, G.lite, T1413

ADSL2, ADSL2+ and ADSL2+ Annex M are extensions on the existing standards.

The main reason for deploying ADSL2 is distance (and not speed), which doubled with ADSL2. Higher speeds are indeed possible; 24Mbps downstream and 2Mbps upstream (ADSL2+ Annex M)

However... it says it upgrades the router to ADSL2/2+ and cannot be undone (back to ADSL1). But it also says it is "compatible with ADSL1 connectivity". There is a further note tho that says "do not upgrade if you do not have ADSL2/2+ account"

Read this as: no need to upgrade to ADSL2 if your line is ADSL since there won't be any advantages.