What To Expect At Airports ?

shrewsyj

Hi there,

I'm coming to Thailand (from the UK) for the first time, and I'm feeling a bit nervous about travelling so far on my own.

I was just wondering, does anybody have any advice on what to expect at airports with regard to visas etc? I will be applying for a 60-day tourist visa in the UK before I leave. Will they want to check my visa and all my documents etc? Does it take long?

I've also heard that you need to prove how much money you've got to sustain yourself whilst in Thailand and you need to show your return ticket. Is this the case?

Many thanks

Will you actually be staying that long? If you will be there less than a month, or will be leving and re-entering, you won't need a visa at all. I've always done that and have never been asked for return tickets, proof of money etc.

I was just wondering, does anybody have any advice on what to expect at airports with regard to visas etc?

Generally you just need to present your passport with a filled-in immigrations form TM.6 which you'll receive on the plane. Immigrations will stamp you in for thirty days if you have no visa or for sixty days if you do obtain a tourist visa in advance (note: check that you were stamped for sixty days rather than thirty days if you do have the tourist visa, immigrations have been known to screw this up-happened to me upon my first arrival in Thailand!). Immigrations will staple the departure portion of the TM.6 form into your passport. Do not lose this form!! You do not need to worry about an onwards ticket if you have a visa. Presenting an onwards ticket might be an issue if you do not have a visa, but probably not. Money/funds shouldn't be an issue.

Will you actually be staying that long? If you will be there less than a month, or will be leving and re-entering, you won't need a visa at all. I've always done that and have never been asked for return tickets, proof of money etc.

Unless your name comes up on there data bass as a Most wanted they will try to pass you as fast as possible.

B Visa tourist Visa. No visa. Open stamp close.

If your passport is full of stamps and visas they might ask you a few questions here and there to make sure if you’re not working in Thailand illegally.

But

Peace of Cake…

I'm coming to Thailand (from the UK) for the first time, and I'm feeling a bit nervous about travelling so far on my own.
What element concerns you in particular? Many airport signs are written in English. Do you have onward plans from the airport? If you are picking up a car at the airport don't forget your driving licence.
I was just wondering, does anybody have any advice on what to expect at airports with regard to visas etc?
All very straight forward, if in fact you even need to get a visa....
I will be applying for a 60-day tourist visa in the UK before I leave.
There are many threads here detailing the 30 day visa-exception on arrival given to EU passport holders, and the 90 day within a six month period limit that is currently enforced. If you are planning to stay only 60 days you might find it cheaper to simply cross a border half way through your holiday, Laos, Burma. This might fit in with any travel plans within Thailand to see other parts of the country rather than just one place.
Will they want to check my visa and all my documents etc? Does it take long?
If you choose to get a Tourist Visa in your own country before travelling, at Thai Passport control they will only be interested in the Visa stamp in your passport - they will not be remotely interested in the supporting documentation. It might help to open your passport at the visa stamp page when handing it to the immigration officer to ensure they see the stamp and give you the correct 'permitted to stay untill..' stamp. With this in mind check that the date stamped into your passport is correct before you leave that desk - as it can be difficult to correct mistakes afterwards. So work out what date you expect to be stamped in your passport before you fly and write it down - mental arithmitic can be difficult after a long flight.

The queue at normal passport control can be 5-10 minutes during busy periods, if travelling first class the passport control generally does not have a queue apart for other first class passengers that you shared a golf cart with. Processing your passport etc. will take 3 minutes tops. Ensure that you have completed the arrivals section of the card given to you on the plane (can be collected from just before passport control if you loose the one given to you), the departure section is stapled into your passport. Do not loose this during your stay.

I've also heard that you need to prove how much money you've got to sustain yourself whilst in Thailand and you need to show your return ticket. Is this the case?
You are coming from a European country with 'good' reputation of tourists - there will be no question as to whether you have enough money to support your holiday. There are many other threads talking about access to funds via ATMs and travellers checks etc. I suggest you have primary and backup ATM cards and credit cards. Unless you are travelling out on a single flight ticket this is not a problem, no one will be interested in your return ticket.

Suggest that you register with your airline's frequent flyer program, the airmiles can be useful if you get the taste for long haul flights.

HTH

What element concerns you in particular? Many airport signs are written in English. Do you have onward plans from the airport? If you are picking up a car at the airport don't forget your driving licence.
All very straight forward, if in fact you even need to get a visa....
I will be applying for a 60-day tourist visa in the UK before I leave.
There are many threads here detailing the 30 day visa-exception on arrival given to EU passport holders, and the 90 day within a six month period limit that is currently enforced. If you are planning to stay only 60 days you might find it cheaper to simply cross a border half way through your holiday, Laos, Burma. This might fit in with any travel plans within Thailand to see other parts of the country rather than just one place.
Will they want to check my visa and all my documents etc? Does it take long?
If you choose to get a Tourist Visa in your own country before travelling, at Thai Passport control they will only be interested in the Visa stamp in your passport - they will not be remotely interested in the supporting documentation. It might help to open your passport at the visa stamp page when handing it to the immigration officer to ensure they see the stamp and give you the correct 'permitted to stay untill..' stamp. With this in mind check that the date stamped into your passport is correct before you leave that desk - as it can be difficult to correct mistakes afterwards. So work out what date you expect to be stamped in your passport before you fly and write it down - mental arithmitic can be difficult after a long flight.

The queue at normal passport control can be 5-10 minutes during busy periods, if travelling first class the passport control generally does not have a queue apart for other first class passengers that you shared a golf cart with. Processing your passport etc. will take 3 minutes tops. Ensure that you have completed the arrivals section of the card given to you on the plane (can be collected from just before passport control if you loose the one given to you), the departure section is stapled into your passport. Do not loose this during your stay.

You are coming from a European country with 'good' reputation of tourists - there will be no question as to whether you have enough money to support your holiday. There are many other threads talking about access to funds via ATMs and travellers checks etc. I suggest you have primary and backup ATM cards and credit cards. Unless you are travelling out on a single flight ticket this is not a problem, no one will be interested in your return ticket.

Suggest that you register with your airline's frequent flyer program, the airmiles can be useful if you get the taste for long haul flights.

HTH

On arrival follow the herd, it is about a 10 minute walk to arrivals. There is a right turn that you need to be aware of at about half way but most people are heading for arrivals anyway. You will already have filled in your 'blue card' (check both sides of arrival and departure parts).

Just to manage expectations - I have never had a 5-10 minute wait at Immigration. Plan for up to an hour from the time of getting off the plane to reaching the luggage carousel. Anything else is a bonus. At busy times the Immigration arrivals area can be heavily congested and patience is a virtue.

You have not said where or how you are travelling on to. The journey to Bangkok is a piece of cake - the adventure starts in Bangkok or Pattaya or wherever you are going. If you are not being met by someone then I would suggest you post again for advice.

thanks for all the replies! this has really set my mind at rest. it's been so long since i've flown anywhere that i've forgotten everything about it, heh

to answer your question, i will be heading on to chiang rai by plane from bangkok - i'll be spending most of my time up north and only coming to see bangkok towards the end of my stay.

cheers :o

to answer your question, i will be heading on to chiang rai by plane from bangkok
After 30 days take a trip up to the boarder with Burma, walk across the bridge (Burma visa 500 Baht?) get another 30 days stamped into your passport when you walk back into Thailand.

Is your flight to CM booked through with your flight to Thailand?

thanks for all the replies! this has really set my mind at rest. it's been so long since i've flown anywhere that i've forgotten everything about it, heh

to answer your question, i will be heading on to chiang rai by plane from bangkok - i'll be spending most of my time up north and only coming to see bangkok towards the end of my stay.

cheers :o

Ignore comments about Immigration. I assume you are linking to a Thai Airways flight at Suvarnabumi in which case you will follow the 'Transfer' signs.

Enjoy your stay.

Hi there,

I was just wondering, does anybody have any advice on what to expect at airports with regard to visas etc? I will be applying for a 60-day tourist visa in the UK before I leave. Will they want to check my visa and all my documents etc? Does it take long?

Many thanks

One more thing - You need to make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months. I think the 6 months is counted from your intended departure date.