Help- It's The End Of The World To Me

zaza

Hi guys,

this is the first time I join this forum and I know you would make fun of me cause am so (idiot) in computers and IT filed, but please am in a total deep <deleted> now , after losing all my data and files ,I tried as hel_l to recover those files but yet it's lost. I am trying to calm down and stop cursing myself ,I had moved all my files from an old laptop to :Samsung- Mobile Hard Drive USB 2.0 portable hard disk that I'd bought today from Pantip plaza. which I suppose I could use to back up these files on another laptop and desktop computer too.

It was working very well then after deleting some program ,laptop asked for a restart so I clicked yes and that hard disk was still attached, when the computer restarted the portable hard disk didn't function and it rejected to be open or even auto play the files that were uploaded previously in it,then a window started to pop out asking to "format" that drive and saying all data and files will be lost if I choose formating. That means I will lose all my data ,personal files and simply "everything"

I did try to use it on the desk top computer and yet it is not functioning and asking to be formatted again.

what shall I do ??I am ashamed to declare am so .....up ignorant when it comes to such stuff.

thanks and I do appreciate your help.

Does the HD have external power or is it just USB powered? If USB powered does it have two usb ends, like a Y. If so maybe need to plug both in to get significant power to the drive? However requesting to format drive usually isnt a good thing. I take it you already deleted the files from the original source?

What is the OS of the source machine?

Did you move or copy files, i.e. drag and drop them?

Every file & directory copied/move OK, no error messages?

You then deleted a program {what & how} and subsequently you rebooted and then the drive 'disappeared', correct?

Do you have another PC there to which you can attach the USB HD?

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Hi guys,

this is the first time I join this forum and I know you would make fun of me cause am so (idiot) in computers and IT filed, but please am in a total deep <deleted> now , after losing all my data and files ,I tried as hel_l to recover those files but yet it's lost. I am trying to calm down and stop cursing myself ,I had moved all my files from an old laptop to :Samsung- Mobile Hard Drive USB 2.0 portable hard disk that I'd bought today from Pantip plaza. which I suppose I could use to back up these files on another laptop and desktop computer too.

It was working very well then after deleting some program ,laptop asked for a restart so I clicked yes and that hard disk was still attached, when the computer restarted the portable hard disk didn't function and it rejected to be open or even auto play the files that were uploaded previously in it,then a window started to pop out asking to "format" that drive and saying all data and files will be lost if I choose formating. That means I will lose all my data ,personal files and simply "everything"

I did try to use it on the desk top computer and yet it is not functioning and asking to be formatted again.

what shall I do ??I am ashamed to declare am so .....up ignorant when it comes to such stuff.

More information will be needed if we can help you:

1) What operating system is the computer using, especially differences between the laptop and desktop

2) Which program did you delete that made it stop working

3) Do NOT format the drive, try to unmount/eject it and then re-plug it and report the error messages etc here

4) Don't panic, yet :o

Does the HD have external power or is it just USB powered? If USB powered does it have two usb ends, like a Y. If so maybe need to plug both in to get significant power to the drive? However requesting to format drive usually isnt a good thing. I take it you already deleted the files from the original source?

yes,it has 2 USB ends. I just plugged them both now but not working yet. I did cut and paste those files into that HD :o and I even try to use "restore system" to a certain date and those files are not retrieved.

What is the OS of the source machine?

Did you move or copy files, i.e. drag and drop them?

Every file & directory copied/move OK, no error messages?

You then deleted a program {what & how} and subsequently you rebooted and then the drive 'disappeared', correct?

Do you have another PC there to which you can attach the USB HD?

Regards

The operating system is windows XP.

I did cut and paste those files. and the files were copying without any error messages.

Sorry;I don't remember exactly what program I deleted but I used (add & delete) programs on the control panel. and yes ;correct after I rebooted the drive had disappeared.

I am using my sons' desktop PC now and I tried several times to attach the USB HD in it and yet it's not functioning :o

thanks

Hi guys,

More information will be needed if we can help you:

1) What operating system is the computer using, especially differences between the laptop and desktop

2) Which program did you delete that made it stop working

3) Do NOT format the drive, try to unmount/eject it and then re-plug it and report the error messages etc here

4) Don't panic, yet :D

I didn't EVEN :D have the chance to move the files to the desktop cause it has disappeared from the HD.

I deleted many programs cause I wanted to sell that laptop, I was acting clever but it seems I am so ........

I did restart the laptop ,plug and re plug several times , no luck :o

I am not panicked yet ; I just pulled my hair out and abt to punch my nose

^ Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V or Crtl+X then Ctrl+V?

or Menu Cut or Copy?

Regards

I know you are all :o of me now.

but I did right click on those files pressing Ctrl and then chosed cut and pasted em all in the HD, is it stupid way or what? :D

i would try disconnecting the HD from your computer, reboot your computer, wait for your computer to FULLY boot up, then re-attach the HD's

Windows *should* look for/install the necessary drivers by itself, if not, you probably got a cd or something with the new HD, this will have the drivers.

OK, can you please confirm this. If you plug in the drive does the activity light on the drive flash? Also if you have sound on is there any tone when you plug or unplug the drive.

Regards

PS Sorry, do you have a USB flash stick drive? If so does that work when you plug into the USB?

PPS Sorry about the attack of gibberish :o

Edited by A_Traveller

OK, can you please confirm this. If you plug in the drive does the activity light on the drive flash? Also if you have sound on is there any tone when you plug or unplug the drive.

Regards

PS Sorry, do you have a USB flash stick drive? If so does that work when you plug into the USB?

PPS Sorry about the attack of gibberish :D

yes; the drive flashes light when I do plug it. and when I'd used the flash USB stick drive it had worked.

I am the one who should apologize for bothering you all. and am so thankful for all your help. :o

I think I should go to Pantip Plaza early tomorrow ,hoping they'd know a way to fix that drive or restore those files .

good night and thanks for all your efforts .

Taking a step back, if the lead is twin headed, which I think you said it was, it may be worth, disconnecting, rebooting the PC and trying a single connector, if that doesn't work, make sure you know which you tried and then shut-down, and, you've guessed it, try rebooting and then plugging in the other connector. I've found upon occasion that the two don't act identically. If nothing else we'll remove that as an 'issue'.

Regards

PS remember that files are not deleted, but the file name is changed to release space, so it may well be possible to get the files back on the PC hard disk.

Edited by A_Traveller

I would probably take the drive to someone that can perform data recovery. We can assume your files are still on the disk, but maybe something in the file system has become corrupt so you just cant access them any more.

Either that or prepare to get your hands dirty by trying to access the raw data on the disk. I'll be honest I've never tried it, but I assume its possible to bypass using a file system and just access the raw memory per se.

here are some resources that may help if you decide to brave it alone

http://memory-stick-restore.qarchive.org/

heres a torrent that may help you ...

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3979572/memory_stick_file_rescue

Edited by malcolmswaine

In my view, if there is a recovery requirement then it should focus on the source {the PC} not the destination {the USB drive}.

If the USB disk file system has become damaged, then the PC may well be more recoverable.

However, it may still prove to be a connexion issue, let's hope so.

Regards

Try this free utility to recover files form the source PC (notemook)

I've used this before and it works well.

http://filehippo.com/download_recuva/

Recuva

Recuva (pronounced "recover") is a freeware Windows utility to restore files that have been accidentally deleted from your computer. This includes files emptied from the Recycle bin as well as images and other files that have been deleted by user error from digital camera memory cards or MP3 players. It will even bring back files that have been deleted by bugs, crashes and viruses!

* Simple to use interface - just click 'Scan' and choose the files you want to recover

* Easy to use filter for results based on file name/type

* Simple Windows like interface with List and Tree view

* Can be run from a USB thumb drive

* Restores all types of files, office documents, images, video, music, email, anything.

* Supports FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS5 , NTFS + EFS file systems

* Restores files from removable media (SmartMedia, Secure Digital, MemoryStick, Digital cameras, Floppy disks, Jaz Disks, Sony Memory Sticks, Compact Flash cards, Smart Media Cards, Secure Digital Cards, etc.)

* Restores files from external ZIP drives , Firewire and USB Hard drives

* It's fast, tiny and takes seconds to run!

DON'T FORMAT YOUR DRIVE UNTIL YOU TRY THIS!

I've had the same thing occur when using a USB connected external hard drive. What happened to me is that after copying some files to my portable hard drive, I attached the drive to my other laptop, but the drive was not recognized. It wasn't recognized because for some reason it didn't have a designated drive letter. It seems that there is some problems that occur with portable USB hard drive connectons as compared to USB flash drives.

I don't have Windows XP, but to correct the problem on my computer using Windows Vista, all I had to do was to assign a drive letter to the drive. To do so in Vista, open the "Control Panel" then open "Administrative Tools" then open "Computer Management" then open "Storage" then "Disk Management". You should then be able to seen your portable USB drive, however it won't have an assigned drive letter. Click on the drive then go to the top right-hand corner of the window and click on "More Actions" then "All Tasks" then select "Change Drive Letter and Paths" or something similar. Bottom line, you want to assign a drive letter to your portable USB drive. Once you do this, you should be able to see the drive in Windows Explorer. Of course, these instructions apply to Windows Vista, however I think it would be similar in Windows XP.

Your problem may be different than mine, but at least take a look at this first before formatting your drive.

Good luck,

Pattayadavid