The Grumpiest Ex-pat In Bangkok

CarlBkk

There was a case n the US where malicious comments made on the internet led to the suicide of a teenage girl. Those responsible have been charged by police.

I wonder how posters here would feel if this guy committed suicide as a result of discovering this thread. Would anyone feel just a tinge of responsibility ?

I'm not defending the guy, but any issue is between himself, the cafe staff and anyone who may feel his behaviour towards them personally while in the cafe warrants their involvement or comment.

Apart from that everyone here is sticking their nose into something which is not their business. If the posters on this thread were really so concerned with the injustices in society then there are pleanty of opportunities in your own street or condo, whatever, to improve society. Your attention on just this guy only shows how shallow and bullyish you are by ganging up against one person. Mob mentality at it's best, and no less disgusting.

Go ahead and improve the world one guy at a time. See how far you get in your life time.

And before anyone accusses me of hypocrisy I do regret my earlier post (#213) on this thread and ask a moderator to please remove it.

I'd be very pleased to see this thread closed.

There was a case n the US where malicious comments made on the internet led to the suicide of a teenage girl. Those responsible have been charged by police.

I wonder how posters here would feel if this guy committed suicide as a result of discovering this thread. Would anyone feel just a tinge of responsibility ?

I'm not defending the guy, but any issue is between himself, the cafe staff and anyone who may feel his behaviour towards them personally while in the cafe warrants their involvement or comment.

Apart from that everyone here is sticking their nose into something which is not their business. If the posters on this thread were really so concerned with the injustices in society then there are pleanty of opportunities in your own street or condo, whatever, to improve society. Your attention on just this guy only shows how shallow and bullyish you are by ganging up against one person. Mob mentality at it's best, and no less disgusting.

Go ahead and improve the world one guy at a time. See how far you get in your life time.

And before anyone accusses me of hypocrisy I do regret my earlier post (#213) on this thread and ask a moderator to please remove it.

I'd be very pleased to see this thread closed.

calm down there guy. we are talking amongst each other on an internet forum. how is that going to cause this guy to commit suicide? if he kills himself because someone was sitting in a public seat then i don't think anyone could be to blame but this old man. now if people kept going into his house and taking his seat there, or if people kept sitting on his face, then i could see the cause for concern. This guy would probably get a kick out of all the support he has been receiving from people who he has never met.

westerner
well, today 2 june.........WHO will win the race to the golden stool ?

westerner

25 mn to go....I wonder who will show up there ! And who will win....

i can hardly contain my indifference. :o

Taxexile. They are not my posts!!!

Wouldn't it be considered "man slaughter" and not "suicide". If someone else is responsible for the death wouldn't it by definition not be "suicide"?

(Or maybe it they were charged with "Assisting Suicide", but i think this requires you actually provide the equipment to kill oneself?)

Excellent…. good on ya. :o These guys are all over the world. I love winding them up. I'm normally a nice guy, but for them…………

I ones I've encountered are usually ex military expats. They act as if they're living in the colonial past and look down their noses at anyone or everyone.

They deserve everything they get.

I'm not only ex-military but retired military (from the US Navy) and i take issue with that stereotypical statement. I've always treated foreign nationals with respect and dignity. Don't lump ex-military expats into one group, it shows ignorance and narrow-mindedness

Regards

I concur, as a retired USN veteran and a someone who has been in Southeast Asia since 1986 (Both military and civilian), I find that peopel taht make that assumption are the ones who have left their home country for the first time and are now experts in expat lifestyles in asia. Ignorrance and narrow-mindedness is an understatement.

Regards,

ABHCS (AW) USN, Ret

As an ex serviceman myself who has worked 35 years in the military and as a civilian in a military environment I fail to see why you both take offence at my comment. The majority of that time was and still is spent living and working in foreign countries. That includes my first visit to Thailand in 1984 whilst working in another S.E.Asian country.

Can you honestly state you have not met someone act in that manner either in the mess or elsewhere. I seriously doubt it.

Sadly it's generally the one's that like to tell everyone they are ex-military that are usually the worst. During my banking days I had several Colonels, Admirals, Generals etc, etc, who insisted that they be adressed as such, even they had been retired for 30 years (even their bank accounts were in the name of Major Fortescue or suchlike).

Just look at their nicks 'retirednavyman', 'yankeechief'.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge admirer of the armed forces in the UK and US (and all our other allies), but why do you need to push it in stranger's faces that you used to do a particular job?

S.W.E.E.T.C.H.A.R.I.O.T.

Bank Manager Extraodinaire (Ret).

Sadly it's generally the one's that like to tell everyone they are ex-military that are usually the worst. During my banking days I had several Colonels, Admirals, Generals etc, etc, who insisted that they be adressed as such, even they had been retired for 30 years (even their bank accounts were in the name of Major Fortescue or suchlike).

Just look at their nicks 'retirednavyman', 'yankeechief'.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge admirer of the armed forces in the UK and US (and all our other allies), but why do you need to push it in stranger's faces that you used to do a particular job?

S.W.E.E.T.C.H.A.R.I.O.T.

Bank Manager Extraodinaire (Ret).

post-61198-1212379815.jpg

During the war......... :o:D Off topic, I know, but couldn't resist :D

Edited by thecatman

Seems none of the swarms of suicide inducing, thoughtless <deleted> Antichrist TV members went to commit their stool stealing today.

Perhaps some of GOM's supporters have gone to give him some anti depressants, and a foot massage?

sibeymai, I have not psychoanalyzed the GOM, but I doubt that suicidal tendency is part of his profile. I think your now-deleted post was not malicious. We have deleted malicious posts, but it is acceptable on ThaiVisa to condemn our fellow expatriates who are over-the-top in their public actions. We can leave out further photos, clearly identifying information about the GOM, etc. We are not sponsoring lynching or violent confrontations.

I like the lynch mob assumption. In actual fact, 10am this morning there was precisely 0 people there apart from myself so no need to feel so much worry for the GOM. He's not being shouted at every morning by 10 strangers or followed into the toilet.

The GOM was again playing golf today so another no-show. At the weekend his secretary (re:wife) called the cafe to reserve his spot. She was told that they cannot, so she got angry. He came in and told the staff that he doesn't want to reserve the spot but please can they put out his breakfast when he calls them at 9.30am from ground floor, and that if anyone tries to sit at that spot with his breakfast there, lie and tell them that Khun Adam has gone to the toilet. Obviously assuming the staff are thick and don't realise that this is reserving the spot. They informed me that they will not lie to customers and that they will prepare his breakfast but if anyone wants to sit there they will move it.

They informed the GOM that Head Office decided it was first come first served, to which he replied "don't worry, I will be the first". They informed me that they have no idea how he arrived before opening time at the weekend mornings (can only assume through the 6th floor then down) but he's making a special effort out of principle now.

The most important part in this morning's conversation was that the GOM was EXTRA NICE to the staff at the weekend and they were surprised. They think it is because a) he knows he's running a risk of being banned and B) that he knows people are collectively showing disapproval at his behaviour. In any case, this is something positive although I'm not sure if this will be the case IF someone gets his place before him again on any given morning.

Stages of acceptance: avoidance. denial. anxiety. anger. bargaining. sadness. acceptance.

It seems he has passed the anger stage and now onto the bargaining stage.

I suspect it will finally dawn on him that you cant reserve a seat in this shop, then the GOM will undergo the sadness stage and become a SOM.

Stages of acceptance: avoidance. denial. anxiety. anger. bargaining. sadness. acceptance.

It seems he has passed the anger stage and now onto the bargaining stage.

I suspect it will finally dawn on him that you cant reserve a seat in this shop, then the GOM will undergo the sadness stage and become a SOM.

Som Num Na!

I like the lynch mob assumption. In actual fact, 10am this morning there was precisely 0 people there apart from myself so no need to feel so much worry for the GOM. He's not being shouted at every morning by 10 strangers or followed into the toilet.

The GOM was again playing golf today so another no-show. At the weekend his secretary (re:wife) called the cafe to reserve his spot. She was told that they cannot, so she got angry. He came in and told the staff that he doesn't want to reserve the spot but please can they put out his breakfast when he calls them at 9.30am from ground floor, and that if anyone tries to sit at that spot with his breakfast there, lie and tell them that Khun Adam has gone to the toilet. Obviously assuming the staff are thick and don't realise that this is reserving the spot. They informed me that they will not lie to customers and that they will prepare his breakfast but if anyone wants to sit there they will move it.

They informed the GOM that Head Office decided it was first come first served, to which he replied "don't worry, I will be the first". They informed me that they have no idea how he arrived before opening time at the weekend mornings (can only assume through the 6th floor then down) but he's making a special effort out of principle now.

The most important part in this morning's conversation was that the GOM was EXTRA NICE to the staff at the weekend and they were surprised. They think it is because a) he knows he's running a risk of being banned and :D that he knows people are collectively showing disapproval at his behaviour. In any case, this is something positive although I'm not sure if this will be the case IF someone gets his place before him again on any given morning.

Oh dear! So we've got to wait another day. :o

whoever ends up bribing the staff.....oopsss err..... I mean tipping the staff most has the best shot at winning this battle....but to me the OP seems to be as much or more of a loser as the other dude in this one....OP seems to obsessed-compulsive with the actions of others. lest I make the same mistake I end here with the simple saying "GET A LIFE"!

whoever ends up bribing the staff.....oopsss err..... I mean tipping the staff most has the best shot at winning this battle....but to me the OP seems to be as much or more of a loser as the other dude in this one....OP seems to obsessed-compulsive with the actions of others. lest I make the same mistake I end here with the simple saying "GET A LIFE"!

I'm pretty sure the staff here won't take bribes to reserve seats. It will continue only if people choose to test the guy and if they can get there before him, otherwise habits will go on and maybe he reduces his aggression.

Can you highlight any areas in my posts which implies I am obsessed with people's actions? I posted a story, I act to wind the guy up for a while, others act to wind the guy up too (all for good reason) but so far the guy in question is a little too obsessive and tries everything in the book to remain undefeated. A little bit of fun for a few days, that's all from my perspective.

Forgive me if this has already been pointed out, but is there a connection between this thread and post no. 29 in the 'What is it about expats that you hate....' thread?

That other thread was started a couple days after this one (probably partially in response to this one) and it would appear that particular post (#29) was a humorous stab at the topic of this thread (with Cobra suggesting that he is actually GOM).