Non Imm 'o'

I was granted an non imm 'O' from Hull, UK on 4th June 2007 and it says it must be utilized before 4th June 2008. I have been out 3 times and my last entry into Thailand was 4th of April and I'm admitted until the 2nd of July.

I was thinking about applying for a one year extension some time in June but I have to unexpectedly do a quick 3 day trip to Hong Kong in June or July (not sure yet).

Q1. - If I go to HK at the end of June - how will this affect my non imm 'O' visa ? Will I have to come back in on a 30 day waiver, or will they give me another 90 days ?

Q2. - If I get a one year extension and then go to HK - how would that affect my extension ?

Shame I can't get a new non imm '0' from HK :o

Q1. - If I go to HK at the end of June - how will this affect my non imm 'O' visa ? Will I have to come back in on a 30 day waiver, or will they give me another 90 days ?

Your visa will be expired. You'll get 30 days.

If you cross the border between now and the 04 June expiry date of the visa, you will be granted another 90 day entry which would give you an entry stamp until roughly the beginning of September. You could then apply for a Re-Entry Permit, go to Hong Kong, and when you return to Thailand, you would be stamped in for the remaining time on that last stamp (i.e. 'til roughly the beginning of September).

You could then apply for a Re-Entry Permit, go to Hong Kong, and when you return to Thailand, you would be stamped in for the remaining time on that last stamp (i.e. 'til roughly the beginning of September).

....and this would also allow you to do an extension with 21 days remaining that you get with the additional 90 days.

Your visa will be expired. You'll get 30 days.

And lose my right to apply for a one year extension. So that's a non starter.

You could then apply for a Re-Entry Permit, go to Hong Kong, and when you return to Thailand, you would be stamped in for the remaining time on that last stamp (i.e. 'til roughly the beginning of September).

I don't know what a re-Entry permit is, but assume it allows you to leave for a while without affecting your existing visa - is that right ?

If so, can you use re-Entry permits if you have a one year extension ?

I don't know what a re-Entry permit is, but assume it allows you to leave for a while without affecting your existing visa - is that right ?

Technically, it does not affect your current entry stamp. See: Re-entry permit

If so, can you use re-Entry permits if you have a one year extension ?

You would have to, otherwise you forfeit the remaining time on the extension when/if you leave Thailand. In the case of having a one-year extension, you may want to consider a multiple re-entry permit to cover you for that entire year otherwise you would need a new re-entry permit each time you went abroad.

Technically, it does not affect your current entry stamp. See: Re-entry permit

Thanks for the link - that cleared it up for me :o

An email just dropped thru asking me to be in HK on the 9th and 10th of June, so I will have to have a good think about my options. If I return on the 11th - I would still have just over two weeks to apply for a one year extension. Is that normally enough time ?

It would be helpful to know what kind of extension you plan - retirement is immediate but family requires your presence 30 days later.

As for the 21 days comment that does not apply when you have a non immigrant visa - he can apply for extension of stay until his last permitted to stay day.

I would make a border crossing before June 4th, obtain new 90 day stay, leave for HK after getting a re-entry permit, return for the same permitted to stay until date, and then when less than 30 days remain apply for extension of stay. The re-entry permit is your visa information for return and keeps your current permitted to stay and visa entry type alive.

It would be helpful to know what kind of extension you plan - retirement is immediate but family requires your presence 30 days later.

As for the 21 days comment that does not apply when you have a non immigrant visa - he can apply for extension of stay until his last permitted to stay day.

I would make a border crossing before June 4th, obtain new 90 day stay, leave for HK after getting a re-entry permit, return for the same permitted to stay until date, and then when less than 30 days remain apply for extension of stay. The re-entry permit is your visa information for return and keeps your current permitted to stay and visa entry type alive.

Much appreciated advice.

It would be an extension based on family - my wife is Thai.

I understand the logic of the border crossing before the 4th of June and may end up doing that. If not, I would get a multiple re-entry to cover my trip to HK (and give me flexibility in case other trips are required) and then apply for the one year extension on my return from HK.

I guess it's a trade-off between the hassle of a visa run and missing the opportunity to get another 3 months before I have to apply for the one year extension.

A single-entry re-entry permit costs 1,000 Baht, multiple-entry 3’800 Baht.

Your current permission to stay is until July 2.

You plan to fly to Hong Kong on June 9 or 10 and return to Thailand on June 11.

If you do not make a border run before June 4 and get a multiple-entry re-entry permit before you fly to Hong Kong, on your return you will again be admitted until July 2. Unless you make another three trips abroad with return to Thailand before July 2, you are better off with single-entry re-entry permits for the time being and apply for a multiple-entry re-entry permit only after you get your one-year marriage extension.

--

Maestro

I received a one year Non Imm O visa in December 07. Upon each entry it has been stamped 1 year from the date I enter Thailand. In November 08, I will enter the country (Nov 09). I then plan on getting a multiple-entry permit. This should allow me to go in and out of the country until Nov 09. At that point, I plan to get a new non "o" visa from my home country.

I would like to confirm my understanding of the procedure. Will this plan work?

You have a multi entry non immigrant OA visa (not O). That provides one year stay on each entry during validity of the visa. After the validity of the visa you will use a re-entry permit for any travel. Yes that is how it works.

But you do not need to obtain another one if you have 800k in a Thai bank account for 3 months, pension/income of 65k per month or a combination of the two to meet the 800k figure. You would visit Immigration during the last 30 days of your permitted to stay and apply for a one year extension of stay for retirement. Very easy and no need to travel/obtain a new visa. You would then continue to use re-entry permits for any travel.