Should Monks Buy Computers..?

razor

On my trips to the local IT Mall , ive begun to notice more and more Buddhist Monks looking at and buying computers and software. I just put it down to that possibly they are buying the equipment to use for some teaching purpose. On my last trip

to the IT mall , I was accompanied by my Thai wife and there again were a group of Monks buying lap top computers ,

when my wife saw this she commented , what are the Monks doing buying computers , they should be in the Wat , and not

shopping at an IT mall, as we left the IT mall another group of Monks came by us , heading to the Computer sales section.

I asked my wife why she thought the Monks should not be buying computers , she just replied a Monks place is in the Wat,

and where did they get the money to buy the computers, and what are they doing shopping any way especially in groups and

in her words .. seen to be having a good time . .....So this has got me wondering ..? whats your thoughts on seeing a group of Monks wandering around an IT mall buying lap top computers and apparently having a good time. Should they as my wife seems to think be back at the Wat , doing what Monks are supposed to do :o

<deleted>, Why on earth shouldn't Monks use modern forms of communication? Mobiles, lap tops etc etc.

I consulted my wife and her family on his and they all concurred. It's the 21 century. even, and maybe especially Monks need to be in touch.

Look at the insanity of evangalism in the states.

Would the Burmese monks have achieved any kind on international recognition if it hadn't been for modern IT.

Seems to me that anybody who's got a problem with this just wants their reliogion "gladwrapped" in a nice secure place where they can consult it at will and ignore it at there convenience.

But that's just my view.

Pip PIp

There was a doco on tv a few years ago about some young monks using computers for religious research and to help their wat further its religious teaching in the local community. It's true, you do see a lot of monks at Pantip some days but why should they live in the stone age? Computers are an integral part of life for many people theses days so why exclude monks.

I often see monks using mobile phones and when I questioned it the wife said they are allowed to have personal possessions. I thought not but maybe that is another form of Buddhism.

Of course they should be allowed computers, Thailand is backward enough as it is..

I concur with razor but could this be a typically Eurocentric viewpoint. Myself, I always imagined that monks spent most of their time under a tree meditating not purchasing red bull and fags, or in Pantip……it would seem in Bangkok that this is not the case.......

Is there some kind of rule book in the monkhood that states that you cant hang out in IT malls?

Edited by Dont Panic

I concur with razor but could this be a typically Eurocentric viewpoint. Myself, I always imagined that monks spent most of their time under a tree meditating not purchasing red bull and fags, or in Pantip……it would seem in Bangkok that this is not the case.......

Is there some kind of rule book in the monkhood that states that you cant hang out in IT malls?

Buddhist monks smoking? What, here in Thailand? Precept No. 5? Real monks? Buddhist? In Thailand? Smoking? Buddhists? In Thailand? Nuns (What, here in Thailand?) ''Thai Buddhism a cause for concern'' (© Dalai Lama)

Nah, I'll get me coat ...

I often see monks using mobile phones and when I questioned it the wife said they are allowed to have personal possessions. I thought not but maybe that is another form of Buddhism.

Of course they should be allowed computers, Thailand is backward enough as it is..

mmm and ofcourse the wonderfull western world is abslutely tops...

well backwards or not, at least they are not at war with the rest of the world, and i would choose thailand over any western so called "civilized" country.

There is a topic right now about what you dislike in other farang: This attitude is the answer.

I've had more than one monk (Cambodia and Thailand) ask me for my email address so they could add it to their extensive contacts list back at the Wat. Takes some of the pain out of that vow of silence (do they do that in Wats?).

This is what you imagined is it?

A couple of questions for you. Answer at your will if you can get the beer mug out of your face.

What are Monks for?

What is Buddhism about?

If you are here, why are you here? Other than fornicating with with women 'cos you can't find any at home.

Don't you think it'd be worth finding out a little bit about the country you visiting, invading, abusing.?

Rant over - Any time you fancy beer just PM me. cheers

A couple of questions for you. Answer at your will if you can get the beer mug out of your face.

What are Monks for?

What is Buddhism about?

If you are here, why are you here? Other than fornicating with with women 'cos you can't find any at home.

Don't you think it'd be worth finding out a little bit about the country you visiting, invading, abusing.?

No seriously is there anything written down to say that monks cant drink booze and surf the net?

Maybe its cool in the gang……I guess so.........

.....as long as they’re available to receive cash or food in exchange for some good karma…..

What are Monks for?

What is Buddhism about?

No seriously is there anything written down to say that monks cant drink booze and surf the net?

Maybe its cool in the gang……I guess so.........

.....as long as they’re available to receive cash or food in exchange for some good karma…..

Just keep drinking mate, just keep drinking.

If monks don't have computers, how else are they supposed to meet chicks online? :o

They don't need to go on line. They pitch up at your front door at the crack of dawn, when the wife and kids are still in their jymjams and ask for food. "We're here for food" ......... brilliant chat up line. A lot better than " I'm delivering a couple of pints of Gold Top and a 1/2 dozen eggs. Is the husband in?"

look what graphic-cards they uses so you know what they do! Playing game all the time!

But monks are not all the same and it is not a dictatorship......There is no Pope who tell "Computer games are baned and who plays will be in hel_l"

"Religare" - "to bring together". What a sick joke. Everybody spends most of their time keeping people segregated from others of a differing religion.

I'll NEVER EVER buy into this man made religion stuff. Monks are human & as such, deserve the same options as every other human.

"Religare" - "to bring together". What a sick joke. Everybody spends most of their time keeping people segregated from others of a differing religion.

I'll NEVER EVER buy into this man made religion stuff. Monks are human & as such, deserve the same options as every other human.

Spot on. But......... If a society has come to the conclusion that it likes to venerate a mob of blokes dressed in orange sheets as a symbol of their beliefs, why not.

If it gives my wife a nice warm feeling to put out food and gifts every morning, who am I to complain.

In every society people have their crutches to lean on. I'm not going to knock it but I'm not getting up a 05.30 to put out a bowl of something. It's their busines and I say good luck to them as long as it doesn't harm anybody else.

Spot on. But......... If a society has come to the conclusion that it likes to venerate a mob of blokes dressed in orange sheets as a symbol of their beliefs, why not.

If it gives my wife a nice warm feeling to put out food and gifts every morning, who am I to complain.

In every society people have their crutches to lean on. I'm not going to knock it but I'm not getting up a 05.30 to put out a bowl of something. It's their busines and I say good luck to them as long as it doesn't harm anybody else.

I guess it all depends upon what you consider "harming people" means. To me, it means 'preventing people from doing what they want to do'. One could further argue that 'doing what one wishes to do' could harm people. In this case, buying/using computers is in no way contributing to any "harm" that is not already being done by countless others. I guess it's the same as smoking.

Not only is it stupid to put others on a pedastal, it is dangerous. Reference: history.

The word "sheep" comes to mind. But I am more than willing to allow the "sheep" of society to exist without interference, providing they do not cause or support "harm to people".

BTW, "their business" becomes "our business" eventually. We are all intrinsically connected.

Edited by elkangorito

I guess it all depends upon what you consider "harming people" means. To me, it means 'preventing people from doing what they want to do'. One could further argue that 'doing what one wishes to do' could harm people. In this case, buying/using computers is in no way contributing to any "harm" that is not already being done by countless others. I guess it's the same as smoking.

Not only is it stupid to put others on a pedastal, it is dangerous. Reference: history.

The word "sheep" comes to mind. But I am more than willing to allow the "sheep" of society to exist without interference, providing they do not cause or support "harm to people".

BTW, "their business" becomes "our business" eventually. We are all intrinsically connected.

Hmmm, not sure I follow you here.

So if harm is being done by others it's ok to propogate and continue?

" Harming people is preventing them from doing what they want to do" What an extraordinary statement.

Murder,

Child abuse,

Bullying,

Genocide,

Corruption.

No, sorry you've lost me but I'd love to be enlightened. In the meantime I think I'll have a beer.

cheers

Should Monks Buy Computers..?, Whats your view .....

Who Cares ?

Why do you ask ?

Are you a Monk ? Probably no, Are you Thai ? Probably no, Are you Buddhist ? Probably no.

Why on earth do so many people want to live in Thailand and then turn around and say "oooo It's not like home is it ?" or "they shouldn't be doing that"

It's THEIR County, what business is it of yours if they buy a computer or not ?

What a silly post.

Why on earth would anyone not buy a computer in 2008 if they can afford one ?

I'm Christian I suppose but I didn't read in the 10 Commandments that thou shalt not buy modern technology, What on earth do you expect them to do ? Smoke signals ? Bang sticks together ?

Good for them for keeping up with modern times, A lot of other religions don't have the balls to do what they are doing.

No-one can stay 1000 years behind the times forever.

Edited by EmptyMind

"I asked my wife why she thought the Monks should not be buying computers , she just replied a Monks place is in the Wat,"

Quite right and a wifes place is in the kitchen or handcuffed naked to the bed...what was she doing out shopping ask her?

Monks have to move with the times and understand fully the time slice they occupy in relation to others.

Good for them if they become IT savy, even better if they turn these skills to the benefit of their Wat.

As for them having a good time in the Mall, well thats taking it too far.

I think monks have every right to buy computers, video gaming platforms, IPods, the latest cell phones, and what ever they want. It's gotta be boring handing out lucky "winning" lottery numbers to people, and hanging around the monastery in spiffy orange clothes all the time.

Being a monk is just a job, not a life's calling.

Well maybe not, but, monks are people too!!

Very surprised to see all the experts here, ehhm let me rephrase....expats here, that obviously have no clue whatsover about what the monks are all about. Or what type of monks they might be.

Normally a monk should not have anything in possesion, except his robe, and toiletries, etc.

He can, however, have a phone and a computer, as long as these are used for regular communication and educational purposes.

But then we have the ones "doing their service" for a few weeks (once in a life time), and we the ones that become monks due to a serious happening (death in family, etc).

The guys that are just "short term" monks, are normally window shopping, in order to get it later (when out of the robe).

And where do they got the money from? Easy, from donations.

Finally we had monks that are good, and monks that are bad. Just like what we find among pastors/Imams around the world. God knows the catholic church has gotten their share.

lol

Earlier today I saw a monk give a wonderful sermon to students just entering university. At times he had them doubled up with laughter, and at other points there were students quite literally in tears (not of the laughter variety). This monk brought his laptop and used pictures, videos and songs shown on big screens to help make his points.

One role of a monk is that of the teacher. To fulfill that role, and especially to get through to young people in this day and age, means a lot more than sitting in the temple waiting for people to come and listen to a sermon that came to him while meditating under a tree. The computer is not just about presentation either - it allows monks to research and to see what's happening out there. Today, he gave us a hilarious demonstration of how Thai kids will sound when they start speaking the way they chat on Hi5.

It was a pleasure to see and listen to the sermon today and in particular to see how it touched the kids. Great to see effective Buddhist teaching in the computer age.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

On my trips to the local IT Mall , ive begun to notice more and more Buddhist Monks looking at and buying computers and software. I just put it down to that possibly they are buying the equipment to use for some teaching purpose. On my last trip

to the IT mall , I was accompanied by my Thai wife and there again were a group of Monks buying lap top computers ,

when my wife saw this she commented , what are the Monks doing buying computers , they should be in the Wat , and not

shopping at an IT mall, as we left the IT mall another group of Monks came by us , heading to the Computer sales section.

I asked my wife why she thought the Monks should not be buying computers , she just replied a Monks place is in the Wat,

and where did they get the money to buy the computers, and what are they doing shopping any way especially in groups and

in her words .. seen to be having a good time . .....So this has got me wondering ..? whats your thoughts on seeing a group of Monks wandering around an IT mall buying lap top computers and apparently having a good time. Should they as my wife seems to think be back at the Wat , doing what Monks are supposed to do :o

What should they be doing? Lock themselves in the Wat & have a BAD time? Hopefully, access to computers will improve and enhance the path to enlightenment and wisdom and bring positive change and modernization to the time they serve as Monks.