My First Time Visiting Thailand

I thought you should know that if you use a credit card to pay for your hotel or many other things, the merchant will want to add on 3% as that is what they have to pay the bank. Use the ATM and pay cash. Book flights online. It's cheaper. Phuket is nice this time of the year as there aren't so many tourists, plus hotels can be cheaper because it is "off season." It is also monsoon season, so thunderstorms are common. Buy an umbrella. Most people end up in Patong, which is okay and maybe you should at least see it, but there are other parts of the island which are much nicer. The beach at Kata is nice, so is Nai Harn. You could also take a bus over to Krabi or up to Phang Na National Park.

Warning! Thailand can be addicting! I came for a month four years ago and now I have a house, car, motorbikes, dog and even a girl friend! Have fun!

Edited by Jimi007

you will have a lovely time when u visit, we first visited in dec 07 and loved it, i went with my boyfriend and we were fine!! even in the bar scene it was fun, i didnt feel awkward with the bar girls in fact they were lovely too, to be totally honest i was a bit niave before i visited and was worried about the girls also(silly i know and no offence to anyone)

Its quite funny actually my boyfriends mum lives in chiang mai and her mother and father in law went to see them from the UK earlier this year...bare in mind they are about 80 years old and very stuck in there ways bless them ,,,, and they loved the bar scene!!they cant wait to return

If they see you have a parntner they are ok...so dont worry your girlfriend will be fine i had nothing to worry about, i actually found thailand so refreshing compared to geordie land that we r coming again in aug and not going home!!

also as mentioned dont take too much, as a typical girl i packed way too much and regretted it, the shops were amazing!!

anyway have fun!! :o

Another point that I do not see mentioned above, is one of choosing the currency in which your credit card transaction is carried out when using your credit card overseas in any country.

For instance if you have a CC issued in the UK your 'normal' currency would be Sterling.

When using the CC in a Thai hotel - they might 'offer' to make the CC tranasaction out for you in the currency of your home country, Sterling. To the novice traveller this might seen like a nice idea - they feel familiar with the idea of signing the CC slip with a GBP/Sterling figure on it - however - you will be paying for the currency exchange rate calculated by the hotel or at best the banking system used by the hotel.

In short - it is best to ensure that any CC transactions that you carry out are transacted in Thai Baht.

You will often see pre-printed on the CC slip; "I have been offered the choice of currency for this transaction and accept the currency: Sterling" or similar wording. Retailers will seldom in fact offer you the choice as they are making a little extra on the transaction if the payment is made in a non-Thai currency.

• 3 weeks later...

Alex

I don't know what part of Phuket you are going but i have lived in Patong for the last 2 years and it fine for couples.

My local, which is a lady bar has many couples visit and most are back everyday as they are made really welcome.

Let me know what part you are going and i can give you some places to eat and drink.

At Phuket airport avoid the taxi drivers that are offering you the best rates as you walk out of the terminal. Always get the meter taxi's (on the right at the end of the terminal building) as you will save anything between 200 and 500 baht.

Like most people have said, use ATM machines but try to avoid late at night.

Stick to busy area's, agree price with tut tut drivers beforehand, haggle for everything but most of all relax and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

1. travel light. you don't need much. See http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/tips_menu.htm I bought his black travel bag and after 8 trips to Thailand I can't imagine using any thing else. It carries all I need. However, I believe I saw some posts that some British Airlines have very strict carry on weights. You may have to check in luggage even if carrying light.

Assume you will be wandering and walking around. You really don't need much. Fly from europe wearing pants, wear shorts in Thailand. Bring some t-shirts and a few shirts with collars. One liteweight bathing suit. Bring less than you think!

2. Plenty of laundries all over the place. If you are in any place for over a day, drop off clothes in AM and pick them up the next day. Rush service is available for a nominal fee too.

3. Exchange cash in Thailand. Horrible rates if done in home country as I think you found out.

4. Bring an ATM card that has any of those big names on it, Cirrus, PLUS, Interlink etc.

5. Bring a credit card for each of you. In case one is lost. Comes in handy for making plane reservations online.

6. Make color copies of your passport, ID, Insurance Card etc. Scan them into soft copies and email them to your selves. That way if you are robbed or you lose your paper copies (bring them too) you can get to any internet shop and print out copies.

7. Street food is great! Do try the Pork kabobs for 20 baht. and the sweet rice (kao gee). Eat on the hoof.

8. Bring a big enough memory stick for your camera if you take photos.

9. Read the recommended immunizations. If you have time, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B are recommended. Probably should make sure your Tetanis booster is current. Other more exotic things are not as important.

10. I find the "fanny pack" to be about the best way to carry important stuff and not worry about snatch and grab. Put my cash, papers, tickets, glasses and map in there and I am good for the day. Carry a copy of your passport at all times. You should lock up your passport in the hotel lock box. But be warned, they are not 100% safe either and things do get taken.

11. Smile and please do not yell, no matter what is going down. Thais just do not respond well to aggravation and yelling. Can't say how many times my usually quiet demeanor gets me through lines faster. Say "no problem", (Mai bpen rai) and good things happen.

Enjoy the trip. Checkout youtube for tons of videos of almost everyplace you can think of.