Pm Warns Internet Cafes To Respect Laws

george

PM warns internet cafes to respect laws

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatre on Saturday warned internet cafe operators to respect laws after he received complaints from some parents that their children have spent overly long hours in internet cafes to play computer games.

Mr. Thaksin said during his weekly radio program early today that he has asked two responsible ministries -- the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Information Communications Technology--to study child rights protection related laws to penalize internet cafe operators who service young students with no time limit.

''I was told by some parents the day I opened the

"Kickoff Campaign'' that their children stayed online in internet cafe until 4-5 o'clock in the morning. I then asked responsible ministries to look into this problem and to see if there is any laws we can enforce against unruly internet cafe operators who benefit from legal loopholes. There are a lot of laws but none has directly controlled this kind of business,'' said the prime minister.

Mr. Thaksin said although Thailand has no direct law to control operating hours of internet cafes, the government could enforce some other laws against them -- such as excise law, revenue law, and customs law.

''I don't want to enforce these laws until the government really has to. If the internet cafe operators cannot run a clean business, I want to tell them to quit and opt to other business. Don't destroy children because they are the future of our nation,'' said the prime minister.

Mr. Thaksin also expressed his concern over some improper headlines and words used in certain news reports related to children.

He said the media should play a positive role in respecting and protecting child rights.

''We all have to help. In reporting about a child, we have to remember that there is an implication on that child permanently in what we say. So, the media has to do it with care. We all have to help keeping an eye on our children, but the government will not control children behaviors. Instead, we will try to create positive environments in the society for our children to grow up and develop healthily,'' he said.

-- TNA 2004-10-23

Down to the parents to control their children, who gives them the money to play these games eh?. And what are they doing letting them out at stupid times anyway?

How sad that control of the children is now the responsibility of others. If the parents give them money they will only spend it on entertainment, 100%. Thats what being young is all about. Stop the pocket money and the games stop too.

Down to the parents to control their children, who gives them the money to play these games eh?. And what are they doing letting them out at stupid times anyway?

How sad that control of the children is now the responsibility of others. If the parents give them money they will only spend it on entertainment, 100%. Thats what being young is all about. Stop the pocket money and the games stop too.

Thats what being young is all about. Stop the pocket money and the games stop too.

Great idea then they can go out stealing and bag snatching to fund their fun.. DOH

What happened to parental responsibility?

its weird how people turn to the gov't for every little thing here. who's fault is it that the gov't is overly-involved in every day life?

what are parent's doing complaining to the gov't? yell at the kids. teach them. help them find something more creative to do, even if it is handiwork around the house.

did parents really complain? or is a certain someone just trying get more contorl over one more thing?

Mr. Thaksin said although Thailand has no direct law to control operating hours of internet cafes, the government could enforce some other laws against them -- such as excise law, revenue law, and customs law.

''I don't want to enforce these laws until the government really has to. If the internet cafe operators cannot run a clean business, I want to tell them to quit and opt to other business. Don't destroy children because they are the future of our nation,'' said the prime minister.

What a sad comment on Thai law!

Don't destroy children because they are the future of our nation,'' said the prime minister.

He said the media should play a positive role in respecting and protecting child rights.

We all have to help keeping an eye on our children, but the government will not control children behaviors. Instead, we will try to create positive environments in the society for our children to grow up and develop healthily,''

so he says this, meanwhile in another place not so far far away he is letting this happen, seems the priorities are prety fcuked up to me.

QUOTE:

16 year-old boy with body of 2 year-old

RATCHABURI: -- He could, perhaps, have been a normal, healthy-bodied boy. But extreme poverty had kept a 16 year-old living in Ratchaburi Province in a body more suited to a two year-old, weighing a mere nine kilograms.

One of seven children, Sompong Saetan from Pak Tho district was born with learning difficulties. Refusing to eat solid food, he grew up drinking only milk, and then rice milk when the family finances could no longer cope with the volume of cow’s milk he was drinking. He grew up drinking only rice milk for the next 14 years.

There are a lot of laws but none has directly controlled this kind of business,'' said the prime minister.

Who's fault is that?

Taksin has been in power for 4 years now.

Plenty of time formulate laws for all sorts of areas relating to technology.

Thailand is way behind in this area.

As was mentioned in another thread, the whole internet is probably illegal

if you were to study all the old statutes still on the books.

Nevertheless what our children do should not be a matter of concern for government

as responsible parents we should hande that ourselves.

Update:

Internet cafes applaud government initiative

BANGKOK: -- Internet caf้ owners yesterday welcomed the government’s move to delegate responsibility for controlling the Internet cafe business to the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (ICT), expressing confidence that the ministry would provide the sector with a clear direction while facilitating its growth.

Mr. Chalermsak Lertlopthatree, President of the Thai Internet Caf้ Owners Association, applauded the decision to hand control of the sector from the Interior Ministry to the ICT Ministry, saying that the ICT Ministry’s understanding of the sector would undoubtedly lead to the growth of the Internet caf้ business in Thailand.

Voicing optimism that the ministry would be able to draw up clear guidelines for the sector, he said that the ministry would ensure that the business was channelled in a positive direction.

In the past the Internet caf้ business was controlled by the Tape and Television Materials Act, supervised by the Interior Ministry with assistance from the police.

The result was patchy enforcement of legislation, with no practical single standard for supervision.

Internet caf้ owners hope to discuss plans to determine opening hours for Internet cafes with the ICT Ministry.

Some Internet cafes are currently operating on a 24-hour basis.

However, the majority of cafes are complying with government directives to ban children under the age of 18 from using their services after 22.00hrs, as required under the 200 Child Protection Act.

--TNA 2004-10-27

This same kind of blame attaches itself to schools and teachers- if the children are bad, it's our fault, right? Well, no. But in Thailand, I don't blame the parents too much either. A lot of times the parents really don't have time for the kids- some older cousin or neighbor or relative is in charge of taking care of them- very loosely at that. A 68 yo granny is hardly going to go chasing around after 13 year olds all over town. Hard to blame the families, though one could blame the economic system for making supervision of the children so hard.

"Steven"

its weird how people turn to the gov't for every little thing here. 

It's weird how a lot of foreigners blame the Thai government (and often JUST the prime minister) for their own inability to afford permanent residency here.

:o

its weird how people turn to the gov't for every little thing here. 

It's weird how a lot of foreigners blame the Thai government (and often JUST the prime minister) for their own inability to afford permanent residency here.

:o

Mainly they expect that the Thai government will tailor the laws and regulations to their own particular needs.

I don't blame the parents too much either.  A lot of times the parents really don't have time for the kids- some older cousin or neighbor or relative is in charge of taking care of them- very loosely at that.  A 68 yo granny is hardly going to go chasing around after 13 year olds all over town.  Hard to blame the families, though one could blame the economic system for making supervision of the children so hard.

"Steven"

????

Having children bring responsibilities, that should not be shunted off to a convenient granny or other relative.

Heng, what is the price of permanent residency?

Is there such a thing? I hate to ask silly questions, but my wife wants to move back to Thailand. Currently I am only 32 years old. I hate the idea of crossing a boarder every 3 months, carrying my passport, checking in with the police station when I move etc.

My wife's life in the states is really very low maintanence when compared to the stipulations on Thailand.

So if you could be so kind, pleased fill me in on the options.

Astral, I know what you mean, but this is the kind of place where if the children have 2 working parents that might mean no parents in the house up to 15-16 hours of the day- and if the parent is sick the CHILD might have to mind the store, fruit stand, whatever so that the family doesn't lose a day's income! So I cut 'em a little slack and blame the economic system more.

"Steven"

P.S. I'll second that as a side topic, Heng.... what IS the price of citizenship, according to you? and does this differ with Chinese immigrants? :o

Heng, what is the price of permanent residency?

Is there such a thing?  I hate to ask silly questions, but my wife wants to move back to Thailand. Currently I am only 32 years old. I hate the idea of crossing a boarder every 3 months, carrying my passport, checking in with the police station when I move etc.

My wife's life in the states is really very low maintanence when compared to the stipulations on Thailand.

So if you could be so kind, pleased fill me in on the options.

With a Non-Immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai, and 400,000 baht in a bank in Thailand, a one year extension of that visa can be obtained. No need to leave the country at all.