What Marriage Agent Did You Use?

What marriage agent did you use?

I would like to get married to my Filipina girlfriend here in Thailand. We have notarized “free to marry” affidavits from both of our embassies. Next we have to have the documents translated into Thai and then on to the Thai district office to register the marriage.

I would like to find a service to do the translations and leg work to complete the marriage. I see a lot of such businesses near Wireless Road; I am looking for a recommendation to help choose one.

Regards

I would like to get married to my Filipina girlfriend here in Thailand. We have notarized "free to marry" affidavits from both of our embassies. Next we have to have the documents translated into Thai and then on to the Thai district office to register the marriage.

I would like to find a service to do the translations and leg work to complete the marriage. I see a lot of such businesses near Wireless Road; I am looking for a recommendation to help choose one.

Regards

Youre embassy should have a list of wich translation offices you van use .

Embassy could care less - it is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that you have to satisfy. Believe poster wants a personal recommendation and cost.
when i got married 10 months ago i could only use the translation offices officialy recouldnized by my embassy because some of those offices are bogus .

Did your Embassy tell you that? Is it a language that nobody else would know? The translation is after you visit your Embassy and obtain there paperwork. You can use any translator that is recognized by the MFA (they are the people who register the translation).

Sorry if I come off too aggressive; just want to find out why any Embassy would provide such information.

Are you perhaps talking about translation for your Embassy rather than for marriage registration at District Office?

There are several agencies on the BTS station corner where Wireless Road crosses Sukhumvit. All of which are MFA approved (they would go out of business very quickly if they weren't)

I used one called 'The Original Translation Centre' (just before the shop with the large Kodak sign-age) owned by a chap called Khun Preecha, would be pointless telling you the fees I paid as it was four years ago and have probably since changed. I still call in and have a chat with him every time I'm in BKK, lovely chap and very helpful even after you have paid the bill.

P.S. as lopburi says, for these sort of translations, having the approval of the MFA is all that counts.

Did your Embassy tell you that? Is it a language that nobody else would know? The translation is after you visit your Embassy and obtain there paperwork. You can use any translator that is recognized by the MFA (they are the people who register the translation).

Sorry if I come off too aggressive; just want to find out why any Embassy would provide such information.

Are you perhaps talking about translation for your Embassy rather than for marriage registration at District Office?

Sorry forgot to mension i'm from Belgium as you may now there are 3 languages spoken in my country ,where i come from its dutch wich is a not so common language ,there are only 2 translation offices in Thailand that do translation to dutch.

But i'm sure many embassy's have such lists with translation offices recognized by the mfa because its also very handy to compare prices you see.

I used the same office to translate my affedavid for the amphoe and to translate my marriage documents wife's birthcertificate etc.. to apply for a spouse visa afterwards.

In that case it is helpful to have an Embassy list so you don't have to search out a Dutch translation service. Although with all the Dutch that seem to be here would expect more than two translators would be available; at least for boiler plate marriage affidavit into Thai.

MFA is not in town but out in a Government area near the old airport. Believe someone has mentioned service in the area but it is not a walking type location so you would probably need car and know where you were going. When they were located in town there were agents in the waiting area for those needing last second translations and that may still be the case.

Are there any translation offices close to Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

Yes there is one small shop opposite to MFA in Chaengwattana Road (next to the gas station). Used them few months ago. Price was ok and for a small fee they do all the legwork for you in MFA. Left my doc's there around 10am and went for lunch while they took them to MFA. Was back couple of hours later and all was done with correct stamps.

Nothing much around MFA to hang out but you can get there by bus or taxi as well but I guess the shops in Wireless offer this same service so...

MFA is not in town but out in a Government area near the old airport. Believe someone has mentioned service in the area but it is not a walking type location so you would probably need car and know where you were going. When they were located in town there were agents in the waiting area for those needing last second translations and that may still be the case.

The agencies (probably all of them have motcycle couriers and their paths once in the govt building. Can'y believe any foreigner can beat that.

Embassy could care less - it is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that you have to satisfy. Believe poster wants a personal recommendation and cost.

Australian Embassy does not even want to know which service one had used. MFA seal on the translation is all they need.

From Oz Embassy site:

• Translations

You must also arrange for the statutory declaration and any applicable divorce/death certificates to be translated into the Thai language. There are many private translation agencies in Bangkok who can provide this service (for a fee) within one working day.

Certification by the Thai Department of Consular Affairs, MFA

After documents have been translated they must be authenticated (for a fee) by the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

For information on this you should contact: Department of Consular Affairs 123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road, Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi, Bangkok Tel. (+66-2) 5751061, (+66-2)-5751057; Office hours: 08:30 – 15:30

The Amphoe (Town Hall)

When you have completed the above requirements, which can only be completed in Bangkok over at least 2-3 working days, you should go to the Amphoe to register the marriage. An appointment may be required. Your celebrant may be able to assist you with these arrangements.

Disclaimer: This information is provided for the assistance of Australians intending to register a marriage in Thailand and is intended to be as accurate as possible. The Embassy is not responsible for any inconvenience, arrangements, or expenses made on the basis of the above advice.

I would like to get married to my Filipina girlfriend here in Thailand. We have notarized “free to marry” affidavits from both of our embassies. Next we have to have the documents translated into Thai and then on to the Thai district office to register the marriage.

Regards

Sunbelt Asia would be happy to help you in processing your marriage registration. You can drop by in our office located at Fortune Town Floor 26 1 Ratchadaphisek Road. By Subway please take Rama 9 exit 1. We are on the 26th floor of the CP Tower.

By Taxi simply tell the driver “ For –June Hotel” and they will take you to the Fortune Town Complex. The tall office building in the middle is called CP Tower 2 is where our main office is located.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Collected my Affirmation to Marry this morning from the British Embassy on Wireless Road. Walked back down to Ploenchit Road and over the footbridge. As mentioned in this thread, there are plenty of translation agencies on the corner opposite the Ayudhya Bank. You can either walk into one of the shops, or usually an agent will tout for your business before you reach the bottom of the footbridge steps. I went with the first person to ask if I wanted a translation; she gave me her card (First Class Translation & Travel Services) and hailed a taxi to take us down to the Apollo Centre. I had planned to just walk into one of the shops, but this agent seemed genuine so I just went with the flow. Short cab ride, the agent paid (35B) and into the office. I told them I hoped to get over to the MFA and get everything done in a day - normally it takes 24 hours at the MFA I think, but the British Embassy website says you can get an express service. However, the translator said I was probably too late to do that today (10:00am). Possibly a bluff, since she then offered an additional service: the translation agency would take the Affirmation and translation to the MFA and get it done for me, then post it out express mail to me. I live in Chonburi, so I liked this idea. It meant a copy of my passport to set up power of attorney, but I have done that enough times now to have given up worrying about it anymore. And I had a good feeling about this agency, although that obviously counts for very little.

Anyway, cutting to the chase: 2000 Baht all in and I got a pretty decent looking receipt. Breaks down as 300 for the translation, 800 for the MFA fee (I have no idea if this is accurate), whatever for express postage, and the rest is their payment. To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to spending a few hours at the MFA anyway, and didn't want to come back to Bangkok again too soon, so it was all worth it for me just to be able to get back to work. I'll see what turns up in the post on Thursday and see if the Amphur accepts it on Friday.

One thing the agency did, which I took to be a good sign: they asked me if I had a preferred Thai spelling for my name, and they were very careful to get the details down properly.

Australian Embassy does not even want to know which service one had used. MFA seal on the translation is all they need...

You are thinking to much again :o We are talking about the translation of a document into Thai for submission to the amphur office, not a document for an embassy.

--

Maestro

• 2 years later...

Hi all not sure if im in the right place or not but here goes, My partner and i are from Australia going to Phuket Thailand in March 2011 we are also wanting to get married in Phuket possibly Phi Phi Island, i know you have to be in Thailand for 2 or so days before you can marry but all of what i have read on the internet is very confusing regarding what needs to be done can anyone point me in the right direction and how can i find a celebrant that can marry us, im not having a big wedding just my partner, myself and 2 friends, Thanks.

Foreigners wanting to get married need a letter from their embassy stating that they are free to marry, in essence that you are not already married for instance. It is only with this paper that you can get legally marreid in Thailand. The legal wedding is just a registration of the wedding into the Thai wedding register, no speaches or what ever. A party or ceremony you have to arrange yourself, or have t done by a hotal or so.

Each embassy sets its own requirements in order to issue the letter, so check your embassy website for which docuements you need to provide. After getting the letter from the embassy you have to get it translated and next you have to get it legalised by the Thai foreign ministry. With all that you can get amrried at any amphur in Thailand.

Anyway, cutting to the chase: 2000 Baht all in and I got a pretty decent looking receipt. Breaks down as 300 for the translation, 800 for the MFA fee (I have no idea if this is accurate), whatever for express postage, and the rest is their payment.

I just used the translation service opposite the Chaeng Wattana complex, next to the Esso station (mentioned earlier). Was 700b for everything including the MFA stamp.

Anyway, cutting to the chase: 2000 Baht all in and I got a pretty decent looking receipt. Breaks down as 300 for the translation, 800 for the MFA fee (I have no idea if this is accurate), whatever for express postage, and the rest is their payment.

I just used the translation service opposite the Chaeng Wattana complex, next to the Esso station (mentioned earlier). Was 700b for everything including the MFA stamp.

Thanks for that, very helpful :)

I hope all goes well with your wedding!

Are there any translation offices close to Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

When I went there to get the translation certified, I noticed that there were guys hanging around in the lobby that do translations. Not sure if they were representing local offices or if they just had laptops (and printers?) in their bags. I talked to one guy and he quoted a price that was a little less than what I had paid on wireless. Probably a convenient option for a standard document.

• 8 years later...

Hi, im from Malaysia and marriage, currently i have a girlfriend in Thailand and recently we both take a pre-wedding marriage photo, might i know what is the rule get marriage register in thailand and any agent can recomment to help register marriage in thailand without any divoice in Malaysia wife.

58 minutes ago, Alvin74 said:

Hi, im from Malaysia and marriage, currently i have a girlfriend in Thailand and recently we both take a pre-wedding marriage photo, might i know what is the rule get marriage register in thailand and any agent can recomment to help register marriage in thailand without any divoice in Malaysia wife.

I suggest you post a topic in the Marriage and divorce forum that did not exist when this topic was done in 2008.

On 6/3/2008 at 2:07 PM, lopburi3 said:

In that case it is helpful to have an Embassy list so you don't have to search out a Dutch translation service. Although with all the Dutch that seem to be here would expect more than two translators would be available; at least for boiler plate marriage affidavit into Thai.

What Would he need a Dutch Translation For......?? He said he was Belgian...