Window Xp Professional Sp3

billd766

ok..I solved this one today with a Vista Ultimate installation.

Great minds, I've just done exactly the same.

Although XP wasn't really giving problems I decided to bite the bullet and install Vista Ultimate (along with an extra 4 gigs of RAM to a total of 6 gigs). Seems stable and quick (although it's swallowing 1.9 gigs of memory just ticking over), it just downloaded SP-1 with no problems, we shall see how things go.

My initial fight with Vista was (and continues to be) on a works box with a paltry 1 gig of RAM, it can't even play MP3s and run Word :o

I must be getting old, my new memory was considerably less than 10 quid a gig, not that many (actually it was quite a few) years ago when I first started messing with computers RAM was 10 quid a k (8 off 2102 1k by 1 CMOS static RAMs).

Edited by Crossy

Guest Reimar

Aha! There we go!

Despite that there would be for sure some out there and talking the opposit I just like to explain the best way how to move to an surprisingly working Vista Ultimate, or min. an Vista Business, because of the limitations in the lower class Vista's!

Ok, here we go:

Using an Vista OEM Version, because of the differences in price and/or cost, the Hard Disk should be formatted before installing or latest within the installation process. An Upgrade from XP isn't possible witn an OEM verion and even for someone who is using the MS Original Vista, it's quite downgrading.

Follow the screen instruction with one difference: DO NOT USE THE CD-KEY YET!

Install Vista complete!

Install all required Drivers (may you need to download some) but NOT any Application Software yet.

Install SP 1.

Upgrade Vista by downloading all of the rest upgrade.

Set the Upgrade option include other MS products.

Install all MS Applications you want to use incl. Office 2007.

Run Upgrade again to get the latest Upgrades for MS products.

NOW INSERT THE CD-KEY AND ACTIVATE VISTA!

Avoid Anti Virus software like Norton, NOD32 pp. I use Avast and ClamWin.

Download and install AWC (Advanced Windows Care).

Download and install Auslogics DiskDefrag and RegitryDefrag.

Using this way on an bunch of computers already has shown me that this brings the most out of Vista without extra tweaking.

As a sidenote to this: I even don't use the OEM Manufacturer Vista but the "OPEN" OEM Vista which isn't bundled with an bought product. Last has shown me that it's less powerfull for which reason ever.

I had found out while working with Vista that the best way is to install all MS software, Upgrades pp BEFORE activation. Even running Auto Update after finish the Installation hasn't any negative effect as far as I can tell until now.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar
approx. 10 hours of tweaking later, I found out that Vista is indeed quite slow.

A phone call to a trustworthy computer geek and moderator :o sorted something: Get rid of the NOD antivir and give AGV a try....yep! That one did it! Speed increased significantly but still 57% RAM used....having Outlook 2007, Groove and Firefox 3.0 with 11 tabs open.

Will report back tomorrow when we start WORKING with this come.....working means here some 20 windows open and at least as many tabs in firefox...all for business purpose of course...

The Vista Computer wit 2 GB Memory is all showing 57% of memory using, with 4 GB it's 38% and with Vista 64 Bit and 8 GB it's 21%

The more interesting part is the CPU Usage which is, used the way of installation I posted before, by dual core normal 0-3% and by opening some program up to maybe 50-60% for a very short time (a few secs maybe).

I run in the Sidebar 3 different Gadgets: 1. the Watch, 2. A WiFi Meter and 3. a Multimeter with CPU (DualCore) and RAM usage.

The WiFi Meter and Multimeter I'll attach as 1 .RAR file, both are Freeware.

Cheers.

Gadgets.rar

at present we have on:

FF 3.0 with 8 tabs open

MSN with two chats open, one with cam

Yahoo messenger open, no chat

Groove Launchbar

the CPUs run on 12% and 8% respectively, RAM at 51%.

let's wait tomorrow when we do actual work...again...the system appears faster with AGV instead of NOD.

at present we have on:

FF 3.0 with 8 tabs open

MSN with two chats open, one with cam

Yahoo messenger open, no chat

Groove Launchbar

the CPUs run on 12% and 8% respectively, RAM at 51%.

And that's all you got running? Sad. Seems the reviews were indeed correct. Well, please accept my condolences and sympathies.

Here ya go:

XP SP2 + updates, utilization:

CPU 0-6% (E2180) RAM 7% (2.5 G)

With all the following apps, just during my morning coffee:

Maxthon 18 windows open

Total Commander

MouseTool

Agent Usenet Reader

The Bat!

Maxthon 18 windows open

M'soft Word 1 file open

Ypops!

FileBox

Sharp RSS Reader (updating)

ArsClip 100 clips

Roboform

HDDlife Pro, 3 drives monitored

Windows PowerPro

Proxomitron

Webroot firewall

Avast Antivir with VRDB activated

UPSMON

Realtek HD Audio Manager

Phrase Express

bblean shell + XP theme

approx. 10 hours of tweaking later, I found out that Vista is indeed quite slow.

A phone call to a trustworthy computer geek and moderator :o sorted something: Get rid of the NOD antivir and give AGV a try....yep! That one did it! Speed increased significantly but still 57% RAM used....having Outlook 2007, Groove and Firefox 3.0 with 11 tabs open.

Will report back tomorrow when we start WORKING with this come.....working means here some 20 windows open and at least as many tabs in firefox...all for business purpose of course...

The Vista Computer wit 2 GB Memory is all showing 57% of memory using, with 4 GB it's 38% and with Vista 64 Bit and 8 GB it's 21%

The more interesting part is the CPU Usage which is, used the way of installation I posted before, by dual core normal 0-3% and by opening some program up to maybe 50-60% for a very short time (a few secs maybe).

I run in the Sidebar 3 different Gadgets: 1. the Watch, 2. A WiFi Meter and 3. a Multimeter with CPU (DualCore) and RAM usage.

The WiFi Meter and Multimeter I'll attach as 1 .RAR file, both are Freeware.

Cheers.

Hi Reimar,

I downloaded the two gadgets to give them a try.  The Wi-Fi meter gadget indicates that I am disconnected, of course I am connected.  I couldn't find any settings or options to input into it, do I need to restart my computer to get it to function properly?  I like the Multimeter gadget except that it is onlydual core as you had indicated; have you seen a quad core version?

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Edited by PattayaDavid

"And that's all you got running? Sad. Seems the reviews were indeed correct. Well, please accept my condolences and sympathies."

They are not needed, Vista has a new and improved memory manager. There is no problem either.

Look here

Another example of Vista mis-information.

Edited by sjaak327

"And that's all you got running? Sad. Seems the reviews were indeed correct. Well, please accept my condolences and sympathies."

They are not needed, Vista has a new and improved memory manager. There is no problem either.

Look here

Another example of Vista mis-information.

very interesting article, and possibly best describes what happens! I was also surprised about the huge amount of RAM used, but the performance of the laptop is about as fast as under XP.

Today is the first working day under Vista and so far happy. BTW, I changed the antivirus program to Avast.

Will keep you posted!

Aha! There we go!

Despite that there would be for sure some out there and talking the opposit I just like to explain the best way how to move to an surprisingly working Vista Ultimate, or min. an Vista Business, because of the limitations in the lower class Vista's!

Ok, here we go:

Using an Vista OEM Version, because of the differences in price and/or cost, the Hard Disk should be formatted before installing or latest within the installation process. An Upgrade from XP isn't possible witn an OEM verion and even for someone who is using the MS Original Vista, it's quite downgrading.

Follow the screen instruction with one difference: DO NOT USE THE CD-KEY YET!

Install Vista complete!

Install all required Drivers (may you need to download some) but NOT any Application Software yet.

Install SP 1.

Upgrade Vista by downloading all of the rest upgrade.

Set the Upgrade option include other MS products.

Install all MS Applications you want to use incl. Office 2007.

Run Upgrade again to get the latest Upgrades for MS products.

NOW INSERT THE CD-KEY AND ACTIVATE VISTA!

Avoid Anti Virus software like Norton, NOD32 pp. I use Avast and ClamWin.

Download and install AWC (Advanced Windows Care).

Download and install Auslogics DiskDefrag and RegitryDefrag.

Using this way on an bunch of computers already has shown me that this brings the most out of Vista without extra tweaking.

As a sidenote to this: I even don't use the OEM Manufacturer Vista but the "OPEN" OEM Vista which isn't bundled with an bought product. Last has shown me that it's less powerfull for which reason ever.

I had found out while working with Vista that the best way is to install all MS software, Upgrades pp BEFORE activation. Even running Auto Update after finish the Installation hasn't any negative effect as far as I can tell until now.

Cheers.

Hi Reimar,

Very excellent guide for installation of Microsoft Vista.  I pretty much followed along the same lines as you when I recently installed a clean open OEM version of Vista 64.  I've never tried Avast, but have not experienced any problems with NOD32 Smart Security 3.0.  I also use and like Advanced Windows Care.  I've tried on several occasions to use the AWC3 Beta, but had some initial problems with Vista, but several days ago, I tried the lastest version, AWC3 Beta 2.71 and thus far it has been working fine.  Have you been participating in AWC's Beta program?

Pattayadavid 

• 2 weeks later...
I got a laptop installed with Vista and it was ssslllooowww. I gave it a full week, trying to get to terms with the slowness and the many changes "under the hood" but after that I gave up and installed XP on it. Never regretted that and not going to switch to Vista until there are no other options.

Ditto but with a new desktop. Vista continually failed to recognize my peripherals like printer, and continually refused to boot. Sticking w WinsdowsXP which runs so smooothly.

I got a laptop installed with Vista and it was ssslllooowww. I gave it a full week, trying to get to terms with the slowness and the many changes "under the hood" but after that I gave up and installed XP on it. Never regretted that and not going to switch to Vista until there are no other options.

Ditto but with a new desktop. Vista continually failed to recognize my peripherals like printer, and continually refused to boot. Sticking w WinsdowsXP which runs so smooothly.

Strange how some work and some no not…

Myself rebuilt my PC a couple of months back, thought I would give Vista a go, but over the past year read so many bad reports, I decided to Dual boot just in case, so have Vista and XP Pro with SP3

For me Vista is faster in everything, and have no problems with peripherals, have Canon Printer, 9yr old Canon scanner, HP ‘All in one Office’ Fax, printer etc, 2x USB HDD, web cam Logitech, Canon camera, Free draw tablet all work 100% fine.

My partner bought a new 46,000baht Acer laptop with Visa installed, 7 months ago, non of the above would work right, so ended up down grading to XP Pro.

Guest Reimar

Strange how some work and some no not…

Myself rebuilt my PC a couple of months back, thought I would give Vista a go, but over the past year read so many bad reports, I decided to Dual boot just in case, so have Vista and XP Pro with SP3

For me Vista is faster in everything, and have no problems with peripherals, have Canon Printer, 9yr old Canon scanner, HP 'All in one Office' Fax, printer etc, 2x USB HDD, web cam Logitech, Canon camera, Free draw tablet all work 100% fine.

My partner bought a new 46,000baht Acer laptop with Visa installed, 7 months ago, non of the above would work right, so ended up down grading to XP Pro.

I post before in this thread the way how to install Vista incl. SP1 to get the most out (as it works for me) HERE. All installation doing since than using the described way went well without problems.

With the Acer laptop I had the same problem with mine while using the Acer Vista! After reinstalling but using an open OEM version of Vista, everything works fine without any problems.

Cheers.