Girlfriend Becomes Temporary Nun

chaiyapoon

My girlfriend has just temporally joined her grandfathers Wat.He is the Abbot there.

As late as yesterday she was going to stay with a community of nuns about 10 kilos from the Wat.For some reason this morning when I phoned her,she instead is staying at her grandfathers Wat.I prefer this as I know him quite well and suggested it to her but she said cannot.

She tells me she is staying for 9 days maybe 12 days and is studying from books.I am restricted what I can say to her and have to be very correct and proper.Her grandfather has been very seriously ill and only recently recovered he is in his eighties and has been a monk for 40 plus years.

Anyone know what is involved and is this similar to boys and indeed men wearing the saffron robes for short periods?

Wife did it for 4 days.

They wear white, they help around the temple, do alot of praying and meditation.

Wife admitted to me she usually slept during the meditation. :o

Also some of the other girls snucked in food and mobile phones :D

She wants to do it again.....

My girlfriend has just temporally joined her grandfathers Wat.He is the Abbot there.

As late as yesterday she was going to stay with a community of nuns about 10 kilos from the Wat.For some reason this morning when I phoned her,she instead is staying at her grandfathers Wat.I prefer this as I know him quite well and suggested it to her but she said cannot.

She tells me she is staying for 9 days maybe 12 days and is studying from books.I am restricted what I can say to her and have to be very correct and proper.Her grandfather has been very seriously ill and only recently recovered he is in his eighties and has been a monk for 40 plus years.

Anyone know what is involved and is this similar to boys and indeed men wearing the saffron robes for short periods?

Nothing to concern yourself here. It is pretty common but not like everyone is doing it. It is sort of a relieve from the everyday stress of living. To seek a momentarily divine. That's all. My tgf's father did that too, but told his family it will only be for a month, but he has been in the temple for six months now. I guessed he pretty much like it there more than back at home with the wife. :o

So far I don't think she is enjoying very much.Get up 5.00 meditate and study from books bed again about 8.30.She says she can't sleep at night because of all the Pi real or imagined? so she sleeps in the day,nothing new there then!

Well so much for good Buddists.Girlfriend went for a shower at the temple and when she got back to her room 5000b had been stolen.She cried her eyes out on the phone for ages.Still I spoke to her grandfather on the phone for a few minutes as a result and thats a first. His english amounts to hallo,and very good.

My tgf went two days ago. I give her a wakeup call at 4:30am every day. As soon as she picks up the phone, I hang up. She "broke the rules" the second day and called me...told me she was scared I'd forget about her, etc! LOL!

I told her mai penrai that it was good to follow the rules best she can. She's praying for her family, my family and when she comes to my country. The first day the monk told her she could talk to me (she says farang husband) but could not discuss love, missing each other--basically keep it light and positive.

I get a kick out of it and I think it'll do our relationship some good. Mind you, she and I are going fast...met her 2 months ago, stayed for a month with her, traveled to Cambodia with her and back to BKK. Now she's in Isaan (Roi Et) doing her nunnery thing. It's all good in my view. I'm hoping this is a sign she has a really good soul and there's a lot more to her than meets the eye (no, she's not 18 and I'm not 100). We're close in age.

I admit to being nervous. I committed to meeting her mother/family in Isaan (yes, I know what that means) my next visit in a month or so.

I'm clueless about support/how much, how it all works transplanting a Thai gem in the US. I read "that yellow book" for a crash course... The worst thing that can happen is she dumps me and ends up an American with an opportunity for a different life for her and her family. The best thing that can happen is the opportunity plus a rewarding relationship, hopefully our cultures will compliment each other :-)

Edited by HYENA