Australian Man Falls To His Death

Cheeky Farang

Australian man falls to his death

Published on October 26, 2004

An Australian man fell to his death from the 22nd floor of a Bangkok apartment building in what police believe was a suicide.

Paul Varosance, 36, fell from his apartment on the 22nd floor of Klong Chan Place building in Bang Kapi district at around 10:30pm on Sunday, according to Pol Major Annop Winairoj, an inspector at Lat Phrao police station.

His body hit the apartment block’s perimeter fence and was cut in two, Annop said, adding that part of the man’s body was recovered from the adjacent Saen Saen Canal.

According to Varosance’s wife, Supika Arjduangdee, 27, he had complained about financial problems before his death.

Supika told police the man had bathed their son and asked her to dress the boy while he went to the bedroom. Soon after, neighbours told her that someone had fallen from the building.

“I immediately knew that it was him because he tried to jump from the building a few times before but I managed to stop him,” Supika was quoted as saying.

Supika - married to Varosance for eight years - said he had been tense recently and often complained he could not make ends meet.

Commander of the Metropolitan Police Division 4, Pol Maj-General Witthaya Kosiyasathit, said he believed Varosance had committed suicide due to financial pressures.

http://203.150.224.53/2004/10/26/national/...l_15180184.html

I think that inhuman work restrictions for foreigners might also be one cause behind his suicide.I think thailand is the only country which doesn't give any rights to the spouses of it's own citizens.You know about that work permit rules and specific work restrictions.How can an expat family make ends meet in such a way?Why don't Amnesty take notice for this.Even though he's highly qualified,He can't make an earning in Thailand coz usually all jobs are specific for Thai Citizens only

I think that inhuman work restrictions for foreigners might also be one cause behind his suicide.I think thailand is the only country which doesn't give any rights to the spouses of it's own citizens.You know about that work permit rules and specific work restrictions.How can an expat family make ends meet in such a way?Why don't Amnesty take notice for this.Even though he's highly qualified,He can't make an earning in Thailand coz usually all jobs are specific for Thai Citizens only

You read all that from the first post???

Or are they your reasons for being depressed?

It's like me saying I think having to wear a tie at work is a contributing factor in his death. We all know how much Aussies hate wearing ties. :o

More people who live and work in Thailand choose not to do a jump despite these 'inhuman work restrictions'. Trying to blame govt regulations for the odd suicide is crazy! (don't jump!!)

amen. there is no mobility for farang working here. unless you are among a select few, working here can be quite tough, even in the teaching profession. You are a slave to various groups of people: the ministry of education, the ministry of labor, immigration, and your employer. Any of these people can make your life miserable at any point. When you work for a small school, the MoE, or consulates abroad (when you get non-imm B visas) can give you a hard time. maybe because these schools are not 'high quality'. your employer can then treat you like crap and make you do things that are far beyond your responsibilty if they want. Even when you quit, they are required to go out of their way to get the proper documents to have you quit properly. There is only disincentive in the system.

Many people, even if they work hard, can see no hope for a future here, there's too many restrictions that hold you back constantly along the way. You either are stuck where you are and try not to think about your lot, you smarten up and go home, or you get thrown out a window (sorry- I meant jump).

Not everyone is lucky enough to be the Asia - Pacific regional manager of their company. some people meet their significant others under totally legitimate circumstances abroad. For whatever reason, they decide to move to thailand and the farang is stuck with this restrictive processes and no much hope of ever making more than 30-40K per month because his expertise is in some other field than teaching. Not everyone comes here, meet a bargirl, and works for beer money. Living here as a foreigner and trying to assimilate into society is not the same as the Thai assimilating into our societies ( which can be very difficult, but in other ways). Anyway, in the case of marriage, the Thai spouse would be free to get whatever kind of job she is capable of and have complete freedom of movement. And it is the repsonsibility of the citizen spouse (not the foreign spouse as it is here) to prove that he/she can provide for the foreign spouse. Even this is only for the first few years.

A gay American jumped off Pattaya Park tower the other week,did not see mentioned in many places.
Probably hasn't landed yet!
The other thing you can do is not live in Thailand 

Which is what said Aussie has done!

Screwed up people take their lives every day all over the world. So what.

More people are, and have been for a long time, living with the govt regulations in Thailand than are throwing themselves off buildings because they can't cope.

Why do you guys try and bend everything negative into a 'Thai's hate us farang' statement.

it would be interesting to see suicide figures from the west, I aint sure but as far as I know jumping off buildings doesnt account for 95% as it does here, probably closer to 10% :o

that's probably because the trains are nicer in farang land to jump under :D

An Aussie would never do that.....she pushed him for sure......  :o

Some sad statistics: :D

DEATHS BY SUICIDE IN AUSTRALIA - 1988-97

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Males Females Total

-----------------------------------

1988 1,730 467 2,197

1989 1,658 438 2,096

1990 1,735 426 2,161

1991 1,847 513 2,360

1992 1,820 474 2,294

1993 1,687 394 2,081

1994 1,830 428 2,258

1995 1,873 495 2,368

1996 1,931 462 2,393

1997 2,146 577 2,723

The last number reveals 7 suicides per day.

Is that really so?

I have a Thai wife myself and her name is in the family registration in my country and do you know how difficult it is to get a visa to go there just as a tourist (Japan)? BTW there are many more jobs available in the market than those restricted to foreginers by ministry of labor (mostly hand manual jobs). And one more thing, I think it's a lot difficult for me to get a green card in US than for you as a farang to get a work permit in Thailand for teaching position.

it would be interesting to see suicide figures from the west, I aint sure but as far as I know jumping off buildings doesnt account for 95% as it does here, probably closer to 10%  :o

Most falangs here don't have access to firearms.

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a lot difficult for me to get a green card in US than for you as a farang to get a work permit in Thailand for teaching position.

[/quote

A US green card allows you to reside as a legal resident in the US for the rest of your life. I don't think a Thai work permit is going to allow me to reside in Thailand forever and confer resident status on me. Your analogy is a poor one. :o

Those figures maybe correct, but...........In a multicultral society, how many were Aussies and how many were from other nations ???....... :D

An Aussie would never do that.....she pushed him for sure......  :o

Some sad statistics: :D

DEATHS BY SUICIDE IN AUSTRALIA - 1988-97

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Males Females Total

-----------------------------------

1988 1,730 467 2,197

1989 1,658 438 2,096

1990 1,735 426 2,161

1991 1,847 513 2,360

1992 1,820 474 2,294

1993 1,687 394 2,081

1994 1,830 428 2,258

1995 1,873 495 2,368

1996 1,931 462 2,393

1997 2,146 577 2,723

The last number reveals 7 suicides per day.

it would be interesting to see suicide figures from the west, I aint sure but as far as I know jumping off buildings doesnt account for 95% as it does here, probably closer to 10%  :o

that's probably because the trains are nicer in farang land to jump under :D

Here in San Francisco it used to be a jump over the rail of the Golden Gate Bridge and into the bay. Now it is as you say, hiding in the bushes waiting until the Cal Train comes rolling by or jumping in front of a speeding BART train. The latest and quickest suicide is now "death by cop". Point a weapon at a policeman and die instantly.