Vietnam Veterans In Thailand?

RonD

All and any war veterans are worthy of being honoured, and never forgotten, as they're a vital key to our human and social history, whether of US, European (veterans of the Finnish winter war for instance, with Swedish volunteers), Asian or otherwise...

I'm soon to be a middle-aged guy brought up in Sweden with most of my closest friends from the age of 15 being around and grown up with being professional army and elite soldiers (not me.. I "flunked out" and went for a strictly academic and technical career), and therefore it's (general militaria and it's history, including of course the Vietnam war) part of my adulthood social reference and background.

However, now having come to Thailand after Sweden and 10 years in the UK, I know that the there were Thailand operations (although not so well known) besides the R&R breaks done by US forces. I'm curious whether there are any US Vietnam veterans that actually settled here or otherwise are still having contacts or bonds with Thailand?

I would be interested in communicating, getting in touch, meeting up for coffee/beer if you also happen to be active on this forum... Or if not, then perhaps create an interesting thread or two on this forum?

Via Vietnam related sites, I've tried to contact T/Sgt. Dan Decker who is publically accessible for contact (Google yourself if your interested ok?), who was based in Thailand and are (at the time of the publishing of the content on Internet) active in Austin, to find out more...

Please feel free to PM me if of interest.

Edited by RonD

There are quite a few british and australian veterans who served on crown who have thai families and live in northeast thailand, but if you talk to most of the potbellied bar hocking expats in Pattaya or phuket, they are all ex sas or special forces veterans,all the genuine vets are hoping to have a reunion near ubon later on in the year, will publish the dates when we get more info :o Nignoy

V-2 division USS Ranger CVA 61. Flightdeck crew/arresting gear 1970-1972.

Glad I didn't get any closer than that. That was just about enough excitement for me.

I was introduced to Thailand via the USN been going back ever since. Only missed two or three Christmas Vacations there since. I love Thailand.

Almost retired there three years ago with my Thai wife.

Got divorced (chewded up and spit out with a Thai hot chile stuck up my arse) instead.

Should be there this Christmas... :o

All and any war veterans are worthy of being honoured...

I would be interested in communicating, getting in touch, meeting up for coffee/beer if you also happen to be active on this forum...

some of us (who had a choice) don't think we deserve to be honoured having participated in crimes. personally i am not interested to discuss the darkest and most shameful chapter of my life.

USAF Retired, was at Phang Rang and Cam rahn Bay 1968-1971 Not in Thailand right now. Check with the Bangkok VFW Post http://www.vfwbkk.org/ Iam sure will find a few Viet Nam Vets There.

And the Chiangmai Post http://www.vfw-chiangmai.org/ . It has quite a few members who were stationed in Thailand during Vietnam.

Glad to see the post up and running, nice work on the web site.

some of us (who had a choice) don't think we deserve to be honoured having participated in crimes. personally i am not interested to discuss the darkest and most shameful chapter of my life.

10 months ADF 2001. Dishonorable discharged.

Can spell dishonor with out honor!!!

Whatever the judgements there are on this, or any type of war activity, it is difficult for the actual participants to be judged alongside the (any) government system who actually issued the war (wherever in the world and in the history). This especially in hindsight (after facts been released and known) unless they had a strong personal conviction that it was wrong at the time.

Anyone, risking their lives in the line of duty should be at the least respected, if not honoured, for it - if there is such a thing as a grey-scale opinion on this. However, participants who actively or knowingly committed actual, provable in court, war crimes, should be subject to the criminal justice system - same as anywhere else in the society.

Thanks for the amount of replies and the info about the amount of veterans in place here, which was surprising for me. Given this information, it might be a better idea for me, or anyone else interested, to tag along on the already existing goups and networks, on their public or shared events they might have.

I've been given a reply from Sgt Decker already as well, who never been back to Thailand himself after the war, but have expatriates contacts here.

No matter what - it's part of history, and it's worthy of being remembered not forgotten, alongside all/any war and conflicts with human loss and sacrifice.

Tan Son Nhut Air Base, temporary duty assignment (2 months after TET). Then on to Utapao Royal Thai Naval Air Base with the 1985th Communications squadron from 1968-1969. Also, TDY to Don Muang Air Base in Bangkok. Moved to Thailand 15 years ago and am here to stay.

I served two combat tours with the 1st Marine Division - arrived two days before the Tet Offensive. Vietnam was many things: terrifying, deadly, exciting, eerie, even fun at times. Saw and did things I wish I hadn't. Killed human beings, got banged up myself but I made it. If it wasn't for the Nam I would never have discovered Thailand which is where I took my first R&R (and the first time I ever got the clap!) In the 12 years that I've been living in Thailand, I've been back to Vietnam 4 times and loved it. I know all about Vietnam bullshittters: "I was a Navy Seal," "I was in Black Ops with the CIA," etc. They are what I call the 'Fake Vets.' Yeah, let have a get-together of Vietnam Vets. I doubt the fake ones will show because the real vets will spot them in an instant. Semper Fi!

• Like 1

This is total bullshit. Are you saying that, for example, the Japanese soldiers who brutalised my best friend's father in a POW camp are "worthy to be honoured"?

You are entitled to your opinion. However, I think that most rational people would say that war is evil, and soldiers are to be pitied. Honoured? In some cases, but certainly not in all cases.

To refer and duplicate content in my second post in this thread: You and I have share the same opinion. War is not something *rational* (of modern society/democratic origin) people (in power) jump on to prior to all other options been tried out.

Evil? Sure it's not something nice, but, for instance, would you like to see your country being invaded by a undemocratic force and then just surrender to avoid war at all costs?

War criminals, as you mentioned, are to be subjected to criminal assessement as any other individual that action suspected or obvious criminal behaviour in our society. These are not soldiers, but mere criminals, if found proven so. (My father was nearly brutalised by some bad eggs Soviet soldiers/criminals in Europe as a young boy in the 2nd world war).

Soldiers (not criminals) should be respected if not honoured. Without glorifying war... I think we agree.

All and any war veterans are worthy of being honoured

Are you sure? How about all japanese soldiers who tautured the prisoners in Thailand? Honoured?

How about the soldiers who managed S-21 i Cambodia should they also be honoured?

I did my military service at K3, Sweden. Did UN service for one year, there is no honour in that even.

I would be interested in communicating, getting in touch, meeting up for coffee/beer if you also happen to be active on this forum...

I think that he's talking about World War II as I believe he is German. :o

a selected bunch of young german officers were given the chance in the mid 60s to serve in Viet Nam in order to obtain combat experience and passing it on. those who made it back were in a certain way well rewarded by the army which fully financed their studies. it was (and still is) against the constitution (never mind the german soldiers in Afghanistan :D) and was kept at that time "NATO top secret". most of them served integrated in the 101st Airborne. some months ago i posted my experience and details in Thaivisa "bedlam", topic "Been Done Before? Tell us about yourself..." :D

Are you sure? How about all japanese soldiers who tautured the prisoners in Thailand? Honoured?

How about the soldiers who managed S-21 i Cambodia should they also be honoured?

I did my military service at K3, Sweden. Did UN service for one year, there is no honour in that even.

Please note that I'm glorifying war in itself....

These are war criminals, not soldiers, you are referring to.

Anyone risking their life and goes trough possibly traumatic events like a soldier does for instance in a war situation, is worthy of being respected if not honoured. (BTW I'm familiar with K3, and spent time at F6 many, many years ago.... Nice to hear from a fellow Scandinavian :-) )

I think that he's talking about World War II as I believe he is German. :o

a selected bunch of young german officers were given the chance in the mid 60s to serve in Viet Nam in order to obtain combat experience and passing it on. those who made it back were in a certain way well rewarded by the army which fully financed their studies. it was (and still is) against the constitution (never mind the german soldiers in Afghanistan :D) and was kept at that time "NATO top secret". most of them served integrated in the 101st Airborne. some months ago i posted my experience and details in Thaivisa "bedlam", topic "Been Done Before? Tell us about yourself..." :D

I was in the Marine Corps, but, thankfully we were not at war at the time.

I searched for the "Been Done Before" topic, but could not find it. However, it occurs to me that you not only were fighting illegally for something that you (probably) did not believe in, but you were not even fighting for your own country or people. No wonder you feel ashamed. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

I searched for the "Been Done Before" topic, but could not find it.

Been Done Before?

Tell us about yourself...

is a pinned topic "Ulysses G" :D second to "Wecome One and All" on Forum 47.

Hope this post helps you :o

Kan Win :D

P.S. Thank you in Jan this year for pointing me to Tusks :D BTW

All and any war veterans are worthy of being honoured, and never forgotten, as they're a vital key to our human and social history, whether of US, European (veterans of the Finnish winter war for instance, with Swedish volunteers), Asian or otherwise...

I'm soon to be a middle-aged guy brought up in Sweden with most of my closest friends from the age of 15 being around and grown up with being professional army and elite soldiers (not me.. I "flunked out" and went for a strictly academic and technical career), and therefore it's (general militaria and it's history, including of course the Vietnam war) part of my adulthood social reference and background.

However, now having come to Thailand after Sweden and 10 years in the UK, I know that the there were Thailand operations (although not so well known) besides the R&R breaks done by US forces. I'm curious whether there are any US Vietnam veterans that actually settled here or otherwise are still having contacts or bonds with Thailand?

I would be interested in communicating, getting in touch, meeting up for coffee/beer if you also happen to be active on this forum... Or if not, then perhaps create an interesting thread or two on this forum?

Via Vietnam related sites, I've tried to contact T/Sgt. Dan Decker who is publically accessible for contact (Google yourself if your interested ok?), who was based in Thailand and are (at the time of the publishing of the content on Internet) active in Austin, to find out more...

Please feel free to PM me if of interest.

:o U.S.Army Signal Corps...spent 5 years in Vietnam...then 2 as civilian. Now working in Greece (Crete) on contract to U.S. Navy in communications. Will be retiring soon, probably in Bangkok area. Have Thai family there. Been coming to LOS since 1977, and expect to die there. First year in Vietnam I was 19 year old kid, in Vung Tau (in-country R&R center). Bars, beer and girls everywhere. As 19 year old kid, I thought I must have died and gone to heaven. Liked it so much I tried to stay in Vietnam for another year (but Army said NO WAY).

Was in Saigon, Cam Ranh, Soc Trang, and Vung Tau...all working in communications.

Just call me....Ba Moui Ba kid. Long time ago, can't do that kind of stuff anymore. A lot of ex Vietnam types from US settled around Korat, but many are gone or passed away now.

:D

There's a few vets kicking around Pattaya as well, and a VFW branch (not sure if it has a website).

I flew over Vietnam a couple times (I think) flying to/from Thailand, but I was only 14 when that one finished, and my 22 years of service were done elsewhere (not including the almost 5 years I've spent in AssCrackistan as a civilian).

(Interesting to note that a couple of us were discussing various stuff the other day, and we noted that the Taliban/Al Queda types around here are employing very similar tactics as the VC used. Big difference is that the VC had huge jungles to hide in and here it's low shrubs, barren mountains and desert. No Ho Chi Minh trails around here (and Pk would get mighty upset if someone were to start raining bombs, rockets and missiles up and down their country).

Please note that I'm *NOT* glorifying war in itself....

These are war criminals, not soldiers, you are referring to.

Anyone risking their life and goes trough possibly traumatic events like a soldier does for instance in a war situation, is worthy of being respected if not honoured. (BTW I'm familiar with K3, and spent time at F6 many, many years ago.... Nice to hear from a fellow Scandinavian :-) )

Errata: Let me assure it wasn't a Freudian slip... The first sentence above in my reply *should've* been what's edited above (.i.e. "*not* glorifying war in itself"). But I gather that you, the wise and experienced TV member as you are, and who have followed the threads realised this anyway...

However........................ THANKS FOR ALL THE POSTS! It was surprising to me and I'm trying to take in all the posts in the threads which I value highly, and really hope to catch up with you in the nearest future. As for now, I'm signing off, being most probably without any Internet connection, for the weekend. In the meantime - God Bless. :o

My Hats off to all of you guys who served. I spend allot of time in Iraq working with our troops there and not only do you gain a real respect for them but you grow to love them too. Giving it all in a unpopular war, may you all be forever respected and never forgotten. I love ya all, and I truly respect your courage.

Any man who doesn't have any pride in himself should be neutered. Unless they are sick no one particularly gets off on the gruesome hel_l that is war. But it is because some brave and honorable men and women do sacrifice to protect and serve our country's interests that we enjoy the freedom that we do. I'm not saying that all of our (USA's) wars were justified, In-fact I think only WWII, The Revolutionary War, and the Civil War, were. However you gotta respect the troops, Valor and Sacrifice, Bravery and Camaraderie are all virtues to be proud of and are all virtues you will find in our troops.

You might not understand what you've written here so let me paraphrase:

Only three of the hundreds of military actions initiated by the US were justified so therefore in wars other than these three, American soldiers killed without justification.

Well, another name for this is murder. That's not, never has been, and never will be something to be proud of.

I thought this thread was about veterans in thailand, who gives a toss about wars the US started, there were english,australian and NZ troops serving in thailand too , in the early 60,s before vietnam kicked off properly, commonwealth troops did a lot community work for the thai people in the north east, building roads ,bridges digging wells setting up medical centres, I just pray that no one discovers oil in Ningi, because as sure as roo,s (Marsupials for the Septics) crap in my garden the US will find some excuse to invade us :o Nignoy

PS here a couple of piccies of us at work!! the fella wiv a stick is an australian water diviner looking for his wallet!!!

post-11182-1212785490_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1212785531_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1212785649.jpg

For all you Vietnam vets who are reading this thread, don't get sucked into responding to these clowns who want to paint us as baby killers. All of us who were there have gone through this BS in the past. For those of us who were there, we know the truth. Enough said. Peace bro's. There is still too much life to live than to keep living in the past.