Vietnam Veterans In Thailand?

RonD

For all you Vietnam vets who are reading this thread, don't get sucked into responding to these clowns who want to paint us as baby killers. All of us who were there have gone through this BS in the past. For those of us who were there, we know the truth. Enough said. Peace bro's. There is still too much life to live than to keep living in the past.

easier that than done Prince. it's 42 years but until this very day the memories are hunting me.

4th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, March '68 to November '69. This was, also, my route to Thailand. My first R&R was Bangkok. I thought "Shit I just survived four months in Nam and now I'm gonna die in a cab wreck". But I had a blast. I hope to be moving to Thailand next year.

For all you Vietnam vets who are reading this thread, don't get sucked into responding to these clowns who want to paint us as baby killers. All of us who were there have gone through this BS in the past. For those of us who were there, we know the truth. Enough said. Peace bro's. There is still too much life to live than to keep living in the past.

easier that than done Prince. it's 42 years but until this very day the memories are hunting me.

Naam, I have dreams too...constantly. I wake up soaked in sweat. And I rarely remember what the dream was. But I've come to accept them and I know that I'll keep having them until the day I die.

Sounds great. Get together, have a beer and reminisce over the good-old-days killing the Vietnamese. I mean, what’s 3,000,000 dead between friends? Job well done, boys. Anyone involved in that bit of imperialist aggression is definitely worthy of being honoured. Whilst we’re at it, any plans for a Waffen SS knees-up?

I personally regret that we went to war in Vietnam, however, there were a very good number of South Vietnamese that did not want a Communist Government or to be ruled by the North and they were our allies. We did have justification to be fighting there.

The Waffen SS and other Nazis slaughtered millions of innocent people who did not fight back purely because of their religion or sexual orientation.

Comparing them makes you look like a complete fool. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

My favourite motto:

For those that have fought for it,

Freedom has a flavour

The protected will never know.

I find it hard to believe that there are so many out there that apparently think the world would be a better place right now without the sacrifices made by the troops of various countries, in the various conflicts, over the last 100 years.

Does anyone actually think the Nazis (and Italians/Japanese) would have suddenly stopped invading other countries, and let the rest of the world live in peace ?

Does anyone actually think the communists (Russian/Chinese/Vietnamese/etc), would have stopped their efforts to spread communism through out the world, if not for the efforts of the "democratic" powers ? (Was it Lenin or Marx that said, for communism to work, the whole world must be communist ?)

Surprising too how many apparently think that they would be living the same cozy lives they are leading now, without all those troops ready to give their lives to defend them.

84 of my fellow countrymen have paid the ultimate price here in Afghanistan. Willing to give their lives to help these people have a better one. I've talked to some of the local Afghanis. They are glad we are here. Things are improving, slowly. The people have less fear in their daily lives than before, when the Taliban were in power and anyone with a gun could be judge, jury and executioner (all in the space of 10 seconds). Their lives are improving and none of the ones I've talked to would welcome the return of the Taliban.

Some seem to think we should just turn our backs and leave these people to what ever fate comes along. Yeah, that is working so well in Darfur right now, isn't it ? And Somalia. And Chad, Rwanda, Sierre Leone. Maybe add Burma as well.

Does anyone actually believe the Taliban (and Al Qaeda) would have been content to simply rule Afghanistan, and impose their draconian laws/punishments on their own people, while ignoring their neighbours ? Not likely.

(remember this, many Muslims are waiting for the return of the "Hidden Imam", the "13th Imam", much the same way Christians await the return of Christ, but with a difference. The Muslims believe that the 13th Imam won't return until the whole world is Islamic.)

Hmmmmm, I wonder who will be there to protect you, so that you won't have to make that decision about whether to convert or die ?

A bunch of placard carrying, dope-smoking hippies with flowers in their hair and peace symbols around their necks ? Yeah, right. Good luck with that. :o

Maybe the "protected" should sit back once in awhile and think about all the good things they have in life, and all the freedoms they have, and think about where they would be if a soldier hadn't given his life to defend those things, and where they would be now if there weren't other soldiers also prepared to give their lives to defend them.

Too often, people who are given something freely, have little or no respect for what they have received.

:o

a selected bunch of young german officers were given the chance in the mid 60s to serve in Viet Nam in order to obtain combat experience and passing it on. those who made it back were in a certain way well rewarded by the army which fully financed their studies. it was (and still is) against the constitution (never mind the german soldiers in Afghanistan :D ) and was kept at that time "NATO top secret". most of them served integrated in the 101st Airborne. some months ago i posted my experience and details in Thaivisa "bedlam", topic "Been Done Before? Tell us about yourself..." :D

Naam

"... some months ago i posted my experience and details in Thaivisa "bedlam", topic "Been Done Before? Tell us about yourself..."

Can't find your earlier post, where is it?

Mac

Camp Friendship, '64-'65.

I knew two US military vets up in Chiang Mai who never went back to the US, although they had somehow retained American citizenship and arranged some sort of official discharge. One of them has now passed away and I believe the other has also passed.

About 20 years ago I became friends with the then US Naval Attaché posted in Chiang Mai, a position that assumes a certain degree of inside knowledge. I noted that I spotted what I thought was a Farang plowing a rice padi. He confided that the government estimated about 50-60 MIAs had "walked" out and gone native in Thailand, something akin to the "bush vets" in the US.

you sound like you've been brainwashed by all of this "freedom" and "save the world from itself" hogwash . It's all about money and it's as simple as that....
Any man who doesn't have any pride in himself should be neutered. Unless they are sick no one particularly gets off on the gruesome hel_l that is war. But it is because some brave and honorable men and women do sacrifice to protect and serve our country's interests that we enjoy the freedom that we do. I'm not saying that all of our (USA's) wars were justified, In-fact I think only WWII, The Revolutionary War, and the Civil War, were. However you gotta respect the troops, Valor and Sacrifice, Bravery and Camaraderie are all virtues to be proud of and are all virtues you will find in our troops.

You might not understand what you've written here so let me paraphrase:

Only three of the hundreds of military actions initiated by the US were justified so therefore in wars other than these three, American soldiers killed without justification.

Well, another name for this is murder. That's not, never has been, and never will be something to be proud of.

I fully understand what I wrote, what I can't fathom is your inane logic. Do you truly lack a spine? Or do you just hate America? Perhaps both. Either-way, I'm more interested in showing my support and admiration for the Lions , who all to often are lead by lambs yet Lions still, then in attempting to enlighten a spiteful coward.

No I just spent the last 3 years in Iraq working along side of our soldiers. And yes making money serving them first working as a contractor, now with my own company doing the same on a smaller scale. I don't compare my self too them. All I'm saying is that I have a better view from my vantage point.

From the Viernam Veterans Memorial

Men and women died in honor

In a land so far away

How do we explain the conflict

To the children of today

When they look at us with wonder

"Tell us did we win the war

All these lives are gone forever

What was all the fighting for"

Drop down on a knee and tell them

All the Vets of Vietnam

Fought this fight for others freedom

No regard for their own harm

All the names upon this wall

These people did not die in vain

For freedom’s price throughout the world

Is living on in each one’s name

Valiantly they fought the fight

In that place across the sea

Sacrificed their lives so bravely

Trying to make others free

They did not question should I go

They served with willingness and grace

To try and bring a taste of freedom

To another land and place

We know from all their sacrifice

It takes a special kind of heart

To fight and help their fellow man

To care that much and do their part

And if you do not understand

The price we pay for freedom yet

You’ll find the answer living still

Within a Vietnam War Vet

Rita J. Lammers

Also Vets of Nam

Monsoons in sixty-seven

Didn't cleanse their wounds of war.

Saw too many buddies go

Nobody could say what for.

The early trips to heaven

For boys their son's wouldn't know.

Those who saw sixty-eight

In a year had grown so old.

Coming home just off their flight

Baby killers they were told.

Make love not war; spat with hate.

Yet still more were sent to fight.

Years and years of devilish dreams

Whiskey nights don't drown them out.

Names remembered on a wall

Fallen in a war of doubt.

Patriots alone it seems,

Vets of Nam who gave their all.

George S. Kulas

Time to Move On

He confided that the government estimated about 50-60 MIAs had "walked" out and gone native in Thailand, something akin to the "bush vets" in the US.

i know two of them. we keep in contact since more than 35 years and meet once in a blue moon. to one i am eternally indebted.

When not involved in landing aircraft on a postage stamp, we would usually help the ordinace guys load bombs and rockets on fighter bombers.

Although not very romantic, back in arresting gear was a very dangerous

and often frightening place to be.

I posted somewhere else about offering and apology to my Vietnamese barber. I said how wrong I thought we were and how I regreted being part of what went on in his country at our hands.

I said I was forced to go and didn't understand what I was doing.

He took out an old picture of himself with a group of VC marines.

He started to cry and said they all died in the war and began to cry.

When I got back to the states I applied for a CO discharge.

I got it with an honorable discharge. Then greeted by my country man by spitting at me on the streets of San Francisco calling me a baby killer.

Anyway it is all karma... :o

Off topic, argumentative and inflammatory posts have been deleted and suspension given. The topic is "Vietnam Veterans in Thailand?" and not a debate on the rights/wrongs of military actions. There are many forums outside of Thaivisa that discussions of that nature can take place, but not here. Further, significantly off topic and inflammatory posts will be removed and member warned and/or suspended.

If it deteriorates again it will be closed permanently.

//Re-opened//

Edited by Tywais

I can imagine that there are 100,s of TV members who are veterans of some asian conflict or other, who like me never lost their contact with thailand, for many their first impression was the smiles and hectic friendly madness of R&R in late 60,s Bangkok, for many it was an escape from playing jungle bunny in a nearby country, many were REMFs who had already set up house and family with thai ladies in such exotic places as Korat, Ubon, Udon to name just a few towns.Then there were the in a way Lucky :D buggers who were spirited away from civilised places like Terendak,Tanglin ,Hameln and Aldershot and taken on a magical mystery tour to deepest rural Isaan :o at first living in tents surviving on compo :D but then the first contacts with the thai people, it was mind blowing to say the least, and our thai education began!! which for many of us was the start of our life long love of most things thai which would influence us to return as soon as we could to Isaan in more peaceful times,many went down the then almost impossible road of marrying village girls and taking them back to UK, only 2 weeks ago there was a reunion of early 1960,s british thai veterans, a couple who have been happily married with their thai partners for over 40 years, many like me who because of ill health can no longer live permanently in thailand, but still try and spend at least 6 months a year there, that is why I try to organise our isaan re unions every 2 or 3 years sadly the numbers are getting lessyear to year,I have attached a little poem I wrote in thailand back then, I had just discovered Lao Khao so its a bit mushy :D Nignoy

Crown_Camp_Lament.doc

I can imagine that there are 100,s of TV members who are veterans of some asian conflict or other, who like me never lost their contact with thailand, for many their first impression was the smiles and hectic friendly madness of R&R in late 60,s Bangkok, for many it was an escape from playing jungle bunny in a nearby country, many were REMFs who had already set up house and family with thai ladies in such exotic places as Korat, Ubon, Udon to name just a few towns.Then there were the in a way Lucky :D buggers who were spirited away from civilised places like Terendak,Tanglin ,Hameln and Aldershot and taken on a magical mystery tour to deepest rural Isaan :o at first living in tents surviving on compo :D but then the first contacts with the thai people, it was mind blowing to say the least, and our thai education began!! which for many of us was the start of our life long love of most things thai which would influence us to return as soon as we could to Isaan in more peaceful times,many went down the then almost impossible road of marrying village girls and taking them back to UK, only 2 weeks ago there was a reunion of early 1960,s british thai veterans, a couple who have been happily married with their thai partners for over 40 years, many like me who because of ill health can no longer live permanently in thailand, but still try and spend at least 6 months a year there, that is why I try to organise our isaan re unions every 2 or 3 years sadly the numbers are getting lessyear to year,I have attached a little poem I wrote in thailand back then, I had just discovered Lao Khao so its a bit mushy :D Nignoy

Like your poem, Nignoy I would not mind meeting you some day when the wife and I return Home. The stories we could tell :D

Ex CB and good friend of mine Roger finished his tour in 6 and never left

Thailand. He owns and operates The Nevada Club GOGO bar on Soi post office right off Beach road in Pattaya.

You can gogo there even if you're not a sexpat... :o

There are a lot of Vietnam Vets living in Thailand, and a number of VFW posts. For info about the whole Pacific Area, and links to local VFW websites, check out this link http://www.vfwdeptpacific.org/ . I was regular army in Vietnam 69-71, MOS 11B4P if you know what that is. If you want to meet some real, live veterans, most likely you can attend a meeting as a guest at one of the local post's regular meetings. Thanks for your interest in our history, and no, we are not all war criminals. For the most part, we were just young guys doing our jobs as best we could, and serving our country.

There are a number of Vietnam vets living in the Patters area and are members of the Pattaya VFW Post 9876. See the web page and if your interested stop by for a beer. During daytime hours(afternoon) almost any Tues, Wed, Thur or Fri someone is there telling an old war story about "the good ole' days".

http://www.vfwpost9876.org/

Edited by longball53098

USAF Retired, was at Phang Rang and Cam rahn Bay 1968-1971 Not in Thailand right now. Check with the Bangkok VFW Post http://www.vfwbkk.org/ Iam sure will find a few Viet Nam Vets There.

And the Chiangmai Post http://www.vfw-chiangmai.org/ . It has quite a few members who were stationed in Thailand during Vietnam.

Glad to see the post up and running, nice work on the web site.

As the webmaster for the CM VFW site, thank you.

Nam Jul65-Dec66, med-evac/extraction helicopter pilot.

Came to Thailand the first time in '66 and knew then that I would live here. It took 35 years to make it happen but I have been here seven years now and could not be happier or feel more at home.

The vets I know here at the CM VFW are a great bunch who support each other and all other vets like true brothers. It is worth remembering however, that combat veterans are as varied in character as any other group of people in the world.

I honor all veterans of any conflict when they did their best even if their government may not have been totally altruistic in their reasons for war.

To round off, and feeling obliged to thank you all for the excellent replies (me being naive not thinking there weren't any/very few here - how wrong was I -TBH, it's quite amazing...)

I will keep in touch with the links and web-sites (and members of this forum) given, and attend any public events arranged.

Altough already mentioned in a previous thread, I was given this web-site as well: www.tlc-brotherhood.org (The Thai-Cambodian-Laos BrotherHood).

As for if I know what MOS 11B4P means? Military Occupational Classification, Light weapons combat Infantry, rank/pay grade "E4" Para... Something like that anyway.

....some quotes from a communication with a Vietnam veteran, retired USAF active in the T-L-C brotherhood:

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity."

"Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, because to a dragon, you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

"The planes I fixed blew up the truck on the Ho Chi Minh Trail carrying the bullet with your name on it."

Also The Jesters Motorcycle Club based in Pattaya has alot of VN Viets as members.

They sponser numerous benefits around town and do an annual ride to benefit one of the local orphanages.

Nice bunch of guys overall, doing their bst to help Thai children... :o