A Move To Malaysia

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interista,  try this site.  It is quite similar to this one, albeit with fewer members.

Interesting site (but crappy old forum software). Still, look what I found:

Hi,

We are two bisexual Chinese girls would like to meet with some expatrites.

Just go for drink also can lah!

Give your email address and we will contact you

By the way, we live in PJ area.

Joyce

:o:D Reminds me of when I had a stop-over in KL nearly 5 years ago. I stayed in a hotel in the "Golden Triangle" area of KL (don't know why it's called that) and a woman came up to me and said "Want a b... job?". Just like that - no previous eye contact, let alone a smile. (A bit like Aussie foreplay: 'You awake?') :D

Interista,  try this site.  It is quite similar to this one, albeit with fewer members.

Hi,

Joyce

:o:D Reminds me of when I had a stop-over in KL nearly 5 years ago. I stayed in a hotel in the "Golden Triangle" area of KL (don't know why it's called that) and a woman came up to me and said "Want a b... job?". Just like that - no previous eye contact, let alone a smile. (A bit like Aussie foreplay: 'You awake?') :D

That site does have its trolls. One of them posted a job offer. Loads of people applied, posting their email addresses online.

Then, after about three pages of replys, the OP said something like, "get a life you losers - it was all a joke."

The site doesn't seem to be moderated very closely. :D

I've been down to Penang several times over the years. I think it makes a nice change. There are a few good pubs in GT: Soho pub, Leith St, Hong Kong bar (before it burnt down).

I once stumbbled into a bar called the Fun Pub in Batu Ferringhi. (?) Had a good night too but i could never remember where it actually was. :o

BF is very quiet at night, not very much going on at all.

Apparantly the very big hotels have night clubs. I think that the elusive Fun pub was in a hotel, now i come to think of it.

I once had a few beers with the Indian owner of a small convienience store in BF. It seemed that the whole of the town were in his shop watching Liverpool play Man. Utd. :o

yes the Malysian government encourages UK immigrants to purchase properties ,

they do like to see a good amount in the bank i believe .

you can check with their embassy . long term visas are easier ..

i have even seen adverts in the UK papers some time ago

Interista.........do not even consider Penang. Penang is an island and with constant developments land and property are expensive. A terrace house there will cost between MYR300k-1M (THB3M-10M) depending on size and location.

It all depends on what you want to do. Are you working or retiring there? Is it for investment purposes? Penang would be better if you are retiring and not into the club scenes.

A property in the elite areas or expat areas of Kuala Lumpur would cost between MYR700k-2 Million. (Approx THB7M-20M). Petaling Jaya (about 1 hour drive) from KL would be cheaper. I know of someone who bought a property in Malaysia for MYR100k and now its worth MYR200k (in less than 3 years) :D

If you have friends there, it would be better that you contact them to help......I dont trust housing agents and etc. :o

Good luck!

One respondee referred to the "Malaysia - 2nd home program". The requirements are well outlined in the website.

Briefly, you can buy up to 2 houses & land (each must be RMY150000 each or more); you can borrow up to 60% from the bank; you can get a 5 year multiple entry visa; you must bring in somewhat more than that required for a Type O-A in Thailand ie RMY100k from memory - about THB1.1m. You must also have medical insurance.

House & land in Penang is expensive - condos are OK!

The big PLUS - a 5 year multiple entry visa!

In summary, it is my "back up"!

Hi,

Joyce

Did you or didn't you get one ? Clinton did :D

Interista.........do not even consider Penang. Penang is an island and with constant developments land and property are expensive. A terrace house there will cost between MYR300k-1M (THB3M-10M) depending on size and location.

Agreed with sk, sad to say that penang is no longer a heaven like how it used to be 20 years ago. developments there are a big screw up. try being there on a public holiday, its a complete chaos. i think langkawi would be a better place for retirement these days .......

not worth buying a house in penang unless you want to stay there forever.... you could get a house in kl double the size of what you paid in penang. crazy crazy.....

The " Golden Triangle " is the prime business area in Kuala Lumpur.

Most of the 5 star hotels are located around/nearby this prime centers.

Oh yes, for buying properties/houses/condos, Penang is the most expensive

in the whole nation. For other prices, KL is no 2 and Petaling Jaya no. 3.

From Petaling Jaya to KL city on a normal woking day by car..... 40 minutes to

more than one hour (depending on the traffic jam). That also depending on which

part of PJ. However on a holiday or Sunday......... 15 to 30 minutes.

Most expatraites/foreigners stay in Condos...... located around the city.

As I have said, if you are English speaking, then the question of language/communication

is no problem. It is very widely spoken ........ and it is the second language of this multi-racial,

multi-cultural and peaceful nation. Of course, nothing is perfect, but still it is a peaceful nation.

langkawi would be a better place for retirement these days ......

Wei...................No sirree!!! Langkawi island is in Kedah, a Moslem state........so better not. Penang is populated mostly by Chinese and the Chief Minister is also Chinese...........better off there although its expensive. :o

I went to Langkawi about 10 years back , the beer was ###### cheap as I recall , everything was pretty , lots of Filipino's.

Lots of Wild animals that you only ever see on David Attenborough programs.

The boat ride from Penang was <deleted> though.

:o

Before those of you who haven't travelled in Malaysia before get too excited about the social possibilities, take note that Muslim women in Malaysia, and anyone they come into contact with, are subject to shariah (Muslim law). This applies whether you're in Penang, KL, or anywhere else.

To be alone in a room with a Muslim woman if you are unmarried is an offense known as khalwat (proximity). To have sex with a Muslim woman if you are unmarried is zinni (adultery).

There are stiff penalties for both. I taught English for a couple of years at MARA, a university for Malays on gov't scholarships, and as part of our orientation at the beginning of the program we were lectured on the legal aspects of social interaction with Muslims. If a female student came to my office to ask a question or to receive test scores, etc, I was warned to always leave the office door wide open, to avoid possible charges of khalwat. The local English-language newspapers (Straits Times, Star) carried news reports of these 'crimes' almost daily.

Muslims in Malaysia are also legally forbidden to enter bars or buy alcohol, or at least they were when I lived there (over a decade ago).

I knew a few Malays who ignored the bar law, and of course khalwat/zinni were favourite pastimes as well, in some quarters. But the legal aspect of shariah looms in the background and lends a certain 'big brother' ambience to life in Malaysia that Thailand doesn't have (or at least has much less of, even in the Thaksin/Purachai era). Or at least it did, perhaps it has changed since I lived there. I paid a visit to old friends in KL four years ago, and although the city had grown tremendously I didn't get the impression it had liberalised much.

Still if you can adjust to those notions, to the heavily censored media and to the year-round hot and humid climate (no cool season as in central and northern Thailand) you might like living in Malaysia.

Melaka would be my first choice of a place to live, as it's easily the most charming city on the west coast (the east coast would be far too conservative for most Westerners), the cost of living is lower than in KL and Penang, there are some decent beaches nearby and it's not far from Singapore.

I do agree with Sabaijai's advice......stay clear of the Moslem women!! As for your comment about Moslems purchasing alcohol, prohibition from bars and etc. That is not very true anymore. "Religiously/legally" they are not but most of them do it now, whether openly or secretly, especially in the large developed cities such as Kuala Lumpur and Penang. Legally, they are not allowed to smoke either but most of the Moslem men do it. Most Moslem I know "cheat" during the fasting month (Ramadhan). As you were stationed in MARA which is extremely "Moslem", you may not have noticed this.

Malacca is a nice place to live, its quiet, not much pollution and lovely "Baba Nyonya" food. There are many historical sites in Malacca too. However, it may be a little hard to find a job (unless you are retiring). Nevertheless, it is developing and things may change in about 5 years time. Industrial estates are mushrooming and sooner or later, pollution will set in.

Whatever it is, stay clear of the "moslem" states and you will be fine. The east coast of Peninsula Malaysia is where the "moslem extremist" are, where there are separate counters for men and women at the local hypermart and also cinemas.....go figure!

yeah maybe sk is correct about the langkawi thingy... but i think langkawi will be developed as a resort island later on....

hehehe... yeh penang is populated by chinese but having the chief minister as a chinese... well.. lets just say we penang ppl don't think he is that great :o

In Malaysia, you can still go out with Muslim women. And it is pretty common. No one will actually care whether you go out with any Malays ladies except the Religious Dept people. And we seldom see them unless late at night when they will prowl the streets.

Do whatever you want.. just don't get caught. :o

I wouldnt want to take the risk..........do you know what will happen IF you do get caught or she got pregnant??? Just for a few shags...............there are other women to choose from. :o Not that desperate.....just yet LMAO

If you tell me you play it "safe"/condom.............they are not 100% full proof (read the label) :D Accidents do happen

Hi,

Joyce

Did you or didn't you get one ? Clinton did :D

As SK1972 guessed, 'No' I didn't. But I was an untravelled, inexperienced, hard-working, sweet, shy, .... hhmmmm, OK she was an old bag :D