Movies You Just Watched

Saw the Indy movie last week, great fun just like the old ones.

Watched Kung <deleted> Panda with my daughter today, like an animated Jackie Chan movie, great blend of action and funny.

The Hidden Blade, great period piece from the directer that did The Twlight Samurai, bittersweet kind of movie, so worth watching.

The Burmese Harp, a must see anti-war movie set at the end of WWII.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the first time in nearly 3 years of living here I went to see a Thai movie yesterday - Somtum. It's about a very large farang (I think he's an Ausie wrestler), who turns into a kind of red incredible Hulk when he eats somtum.

Very funny, the farang actors are more wooden than a length of 4by2, but I have earned significant brownie points with the missus :o

Edit/ I forgot to add that alot of the movie was filmed in Pattaya, which added to the interest as a resident.

Edited by sweetchariot

Thanks for the Somtum tip - will try and see it next week or look out for the local DVD release.

Flicking through local (Pattaya) television last night I paused on the cartoon The Incredibles. As you settle on a new channel mid-hop it takes a moment or so to sync up with the speech, identify it is English and then follow the plot. With so many satellite decoders and copied DVD/VCD sources being used now in the programme chain, lip sync is seldom perfect which adds to my brains delay in understanding the dialogue (not the beer I had last night). So about two scenes went by before I twigged that the station's VT engineer (OK DVD player loader) had selected "Director's Commentary" rather than English DTS etc. from the DVD player's audio selection menu. Clearly a "not speak the English understanding moment" on part of the operator.

I continued channel hopping to no avail and return to the director's & animator's commentary, I quite liked the insider insight to their work and was just getting into their explaination of the technical details of realistic water effects when after a few garbled words of Thai, Farsi and Klingon the audio track was switched to English.

The Bank Job (2008)

A true life crime flick based on the events of the "walki-talkie" 1971 bank job at Baker St. London which was controversial as the crime was given a D notice government gagging order to allegedly protect a prominent Royal family member.

Entertaining film and gives you food for thought.

Rambo 4.

I actually enjoyed it, Stallone must have spoken maybe 30 words the entire movie.

But have to admit he is getting old, took on the entire soviet army in Afghanistan the last time out, but needed help this time around to fight off a Burmese company.......

"There will be blood" thought it was just another slash and hacker movie... was pleasantly surprised

Thanks, I have been wanting to watch this movie, some sites were saying it was bad, but it looks good to me.

Rambo 4.

I actually enjoyed it, Stallone must have spoken maybe 30 words the entire movie.

But have to admit he is getting old, took on the entire soviet army in Afghanistan the last time out, but needed help this time around to fight off a Burmese company.......

I keep hearing about this movie, was it that good?

saw Sunshine...

crappy movie, I thought i was going to get a seizure 'cos they kept cutting in distorted brightly coloured scenes that would last for a couple of seconds.

I saw it and thought it was simply brilliant. But then again I have probably seen

all major SF movies.

Last night went to see 'Sabaidee Luang Prabang'.

Not bad as far as Rom coms go. Maybe the scenery made it more enjoyable. Shame the movie was set in Luang Prabang only for the last 5 minutes of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...
.... last three episodes of Battlestar Galactica. Man, I love that show!!!

Was watching the start of series three this morning/afternoon.

Last night, 'The Day After Tomorrow' - with directors comments in place of the normal audio track.