Taxi Drivers Gassing Passengers?

steffi

My wife just read a description of an incident at Bobe market where a woman had to jump out of a taxi after noticing the Taxi driver controlling the gear stick with 3 fingers and he other fingers adjusting the air conditional the woman began to feel she was being gassed and so she insisted he stop the car but apparently she had to jump out whilst the car was still moving because he wouldn't stop the car completely.

I've heard about this type of thing many times in the past.

Open the window.

I'm not denying the truth of this as I don't know. But I had one taxi driver describe with intricate details how some taxis have buttons to bump up the meter sometimes disguised as a radio control.

My wife just read a description of an incident at Bobe market where a woman had to jump out of a taxi after noticing the Taxi driver controlling the gear stick with 3 fingers and he other fingers adjusting the air conditional the woman began to feel she was being gassed and so she insisted he stop the car but apparently she had to jump out whilst the car was still moving because he wouldn't stop the car completely.

Unless there was a window between the front and back seats, she was having a panic attack. :o

controlling the gear stick with 3 fingers and he other fingers adjusting the air conditional

Multi tasking your fingers, whats wrong with that?

Find the gas attack rather hard to believe. The meter scam is well known and occasionally they catch some. I had it happen for the first time about two weeks ago where the total km was over 14 for a 9km ride. Driver was wearing face mask and ID card was sunburned out and old white card with nothing readable. Taxi was a two tone blue that have never seen before. I was in front seat and watched meter step 1/10 km on each bump.

Cheating, or trying to cheat when it comes to business is almost accepted nowadays here.

Not surprised this happens with the taxis as well.

Most local people will normally remember the distance/proximately meter, and will react if they feel cheated.

If a foreigner feel cheated and let the driver know, a smile and "solly the mete no good", is normally the reply.

About 3 weeks ago my TGF told me a very similar story that had happened to her neighbour

The neighbour a middle aged thai woman got into a taxi near Phra Khanong

she began to feel drowsy and disorientated shortly after although she was still aware

of her surroundings she could no longer react in any manner she also felt she had been

gassed!! The taxi pulled up somewhere near Rama 9 and a woman leaned in and robbed

the lady of her wallet cellphone and gold necklace My TGF saw the woman shortly after

she returned home and heard the story first hand from what seemed a genuinely distraught woman

i was very sceptical for the same reasons already mentioned namely how would the taxi driver not

be affected also ? however reading the OP has got me thinking again either there is an Urban Myth

doing the rounds or there is somthing very new and nasty out there

wouldnt the taxi driver get affected by the "gas" too ?

Agree.

I guess if we notice the driver wearing a real gas mask, and not the regular face mask. That is when we should be worried.

I haven't heard of this gas being used in Taxis before, but it is frequently used by burglars prior to making their entry. Several homes have been attacked like this in the south. The latest victims were the family owning our village shop.

I haven't heard of this gas being used in Taxis before, but it is frequently used by burglars prior to making their entry. Several homes have been attacked like this in the south. The latest victims were the family owning our village shop.

Quite amazing.

Imagine the amount of gas that must be used.

Think about the volume here, and the density of the gas used, in order to make it effective.

Also need to consider all the leakages in the house/room.

For a smaller house. Need easily 2-400 m3 with gas.

I know the gas is under pressure in the cylinders, but still.

And then the price for the gas.

Not to mention where they purchase it (easy to track).

The burglars are getting more and more advanced here.

Urban legend. Along the lines of stories that hoards of children being kidnapped for body parts in Isaan. :o

it is a well known fact that a certain species of aliens from the Delta quadrant pose as taxi drivers and have only one thing in mind to gas passengers unconscious, abduct them and use them for breeding purposes. these aliens prefer farangs. after using they return them brainwashed and programmed to jump from roof tops or high balconies.

Urban legend. Along the lines of stories that hoards of children being kidnapped for body parts in Isaan. :o

it is a well known fact that a certain species of aliens from the Delta quadrant pose as taxi drivers and have only one thing in mind to gas passengers unconscious, abduct them and use them for breeding purposes. these aliens prefer farangs. after using they return them brainwashed and programmed to jump from roof tops or high balconies.

They certainly wouldn't abduct any of my customers for breeding purposes. :D I had one went to the dentist the other day to have a wisdom tooth put in

Urban Myth.

My step-son came home from school a while back and told me about gangs of criminals spraying sleeping gas into aircon compressors. It was true, he assured me, many of his friends knew people who were victims.

I had to show him how these A/C units work before he would believe me that this was impossible. :o

Edited by chickenslegs

Please, Naam. A little sick and unnecessary, that. :D

Maybe not gas - maybe something else? On night buses and even in shopping malls there are documented cases of people who approach a stranger with a conversation - it all happens very quickly - they often touch them with something which is enough to make them drowsy and lose their bearings. The person then has control over them and looks to passersby like he/she is a friend helping them - or like they are both drunk. He is then robbed of course.

Could work in taxis too if the driver has wiped something on the back of the seat (like the back of the pasenger side headrest?). Passenger touches it then rubs his/her face.

By the way the safest place in a taxi is supposed to be in the back seat behind the driver.

Urban Myth.

My step-son came home from school a while back and told me about gangs of criminals spraying sleeping gas into aircon compressors. It was true, he assured me, many of his friends knew people who were victims.

I had to show him how these A/C units work before he would believe me that this was impossible. :o

Actually believe that was possible in the past with the single unit type as they were normally set to draw a percentage of outside air to mix with room air so had opening that a gas hose could have been placed.

By the way the safest place in a taxi is supposed to be in the back seat behind the driver.

Probably not true in Thailand where almost no taxis have seat belts in the back.

Sophon

I've felt woozy, nausious and fallen out of a taxi many times............and in many different countries

Jeezzzz..........same same, tired and extremely emotional, sure ish wosh a yirty gassh.

Please, Naam. A little sick and unnecessary, that. :D

I would refer him to the Bitterness, Hate, Resentment, Disdain....can Buddhism Help? thread

I never use the taxis in Chiang Mai, they are dirty and expensive.

Since the new circular route bus service began last February, I now always travel by bus.

20 baht for travel on part or the whole route and I pay the same as Thai people not having to worry about getting ripped off.

post-40525-1212930714_thumb.jpg

Edited by distortedlink