Boat To Hua Hin, Why Not?

BugJackBaron

Lookin at the map of the Gulf of Thailand it seems to me that only 100Km or so seperate

Pattaya from Hua Hin if one travels by boat. A high speed boat could cover this is 2 or 3 hours.

Has anyone tried this privately? Is there a public boat available?

There have been other threads on this subject.

Basically a service was advertised some time ago, but it never seems to have got off th ground (or into the water).

I would have thought one of the major hotels could do it - offering a two-centre stay and the trip across the bay. But it seems that no-one is willing to take the gamble.

Basically a service was advertised some time ago, but it never seems to have got off th ground (or into the water).

I would have thought one of the major hotels could do it - offering a two-centre stay and the trip across the bay. But it seems that no-one is willing to take the gamble.

"I would have thought one of the major hotels could do it"

too right, and down to koh chang, theres a dusit here, one koh chang, dont know about hua hin, but yep would give more guests chance to explore a little more and spend more!

its four hours drive koh chang and same hua hin, so not a big drive for over here, but if youve just spent 12 hours on a plane then 2 hours down here ya prob not want to sit on a bus for 4 more, boat (ferry size) maybe 2 days a week might work!

chris

too right, and down to koh chang, theres a dusit here, one koh chang, dont know about hua hin, but yep would give more guests chance to explore a little more and spend more!

its four hours drive koh chang and same hua hin, so not a big drive for over here, but if youve just spent 12 hours on a plane then 2 hours down here ya prob not want to sit on a bus for 4 more, boat (ferry size) maybe 2 days a week might work!

chris

I am happy to say a high speed catamaran service is on the way the boat is at present nearing completion it will seat 80 passengers and take 2.5hrs it will start October > November time

chris

I am happy to say a high speed catamaran service is on the way the boat is at present nearing completion it will seat 80 passengers and take 2.5hrs it will start October > November time

to where koh chang or hua hin or both, and have any website up or details etc?

chris

Is this new link to HUa Hin been done by thailife on theprasit rd???.

I heard a while ago that the sea is very choppy and hard to navigate to hua hin and many boatmen would not do the journey.Also no jetty to disembark,but good news for the sea trip.

Co you have more details - web-site URL - whatever?

Only I am thinking of moving from Pattaya now that my kids are approaching their teens and as we have many friends in and around Hua Hin / Cha Am it would be a more comfortable travel than a small car.

I heard a while ago that the sea is very choppy and hard to navigate to hua hin and many boatmen would not do the journey.Also no jetty to disembark,but good news for the sea trip.

It's too bad then that there is no hovercraft-like service as there is between Korea and Japan(Busan to Fukuoka

at about the same distance as Pattaya to Hua Hin)

Only problem is, with all the negative comments about Pattaya on this forum, people might jump on the boat / hovercraft whatever to Hua Hin .. and not come back!!!!!! :o

My thought exactly Lenny. Once they come to HH or Cha Am they would just stay and it would be a one way passenger boat.

It's too bad then that there is no hovercraft-like service as there is between Korea and Japan(Busan to Fukuoka

at about the same distance as Pattaya to Hua Hin)

Not to sure about that, went to Hua Hin and never wish to go back

As I walk down to the beach there were Donkey rides out side the Hilton Hotel.

What a laugh. :o:D:D

BTW Hua Hin has nothing to offer the Tourist, what a shit hole.

As for a boat service or Hovercraft service, they won't last long, not enough people

would use it. A Hover craft is real expensive to maintain, so the service would go bust in a short period of time.

Could be a few safety issues as well.

Edited by plasticpig

A tiny (maybe 10 pax) hovercraft did operate from Pattaya to Hua Hin maybe 8/10 years ago. The service didn't last for very long. Firstly I don't think there was enough traffic, and secondly the services were often cancelled because of rough seas. Two months ago I travelled between Portsmouth (England) and Cherbourg, a journey of about 60 miles. The usual vessel is a huge catamaran with a capacity of 250 cars and 800 pax. My return journey was cancelled because of high seas in the English Channel, and we were put on a "real" ferry to Poole. This prompts me to worry about the feasabilty of a cat. service between Pattaya and Hua Hin. The Gulf of Siam can get very rough at times!

:o When I lived in Hua Hin,about 8 years ago we got a bunch of Farangs together and a guy from Europe had a large Yacht in Cha Am. We all pitched in for fuel and took a trip to Pattaya. The seas were very rough and the engine intake got clogged with seaweed.. When we got to Pattaya we hired a long tail to ferry us to shore. We stayed that night and left the next morning minus two of our crew, One missed the boat and another wound up in the hospital, dehydration from being seasick and drinking.

When the owner of the boat got back to Cha Am he got a visit from some rough looking Thai s who basically told him that if he ever brought that boat back to pattaya they would sink it.

Another problem is that during the high tourist season Dec-Jan The seas are the roughest due to the strong Northeast winds that time of year.

When the owner of the boat got back to Cha Am he got a visit from some rough looking Thai s who basically told him that if he ever brought that boat back to pattaya they would sink it.

Why would that happen?

If there was a regular service, and your man looked like competition, then I could understand it.

But when there is no service, why threaten someone on a one-off trip?

Strange people around Hua Hin.

Got to be more than a simple boat trip to this story.

Could be some history with that boat from Pattaya a long time before, as boats change hands a lot in Thiland. Or go missing or sink. get the drift.

Edited by plasticpig

Pattaya people and Hua Hin/Cha-Am people are distinctly different and I couldn't see many people wanting to transfer in either direction.

Remind me not to employ you as a business consultant!

On different wavelengths again...as per usual.