Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Scolari - New Chelsea Manager

Prakanong

Page last updated at 20:08 GMT, BBC Sport Wednesday, 11 June 2008 21:08 UK

Scolari named as Chelsea manager

Scolari's teams are known for playing entertaining football

Chelsea have named Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari as their new manager in succession to Avram Grant.

Scolari, who is currently in charge of the Portuguese side at Euro 2008, will take over at Stamford Bridge on 1 July.

"He is one of the world's top coaches with a record of success at country and club level," read a Chelsea statement.

Scolari won the 2002 World Cup with Brazil and led Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, and has also won nine domestic trophies in Brazil.

The Brazilian becomes the fourth manager during owner Roman Abramovich's reign following the departures of Claudio Ranieri, Jose Mourinho and Grant.

The latter only lasted eight months, despite guiding Chelsea to second place in the Premier League and to their first Champions League final last season.

AC Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti, new Manchester City boss Mark Hughes and former Inter Milan boss Roberto Mancini had been in the running for the job but the appointment ends weeks of speculation after Grant was sacked towards the end of May. 606: DEBATE

There is a lingering feeling that Chelsea have taken a big gamble

BBC Sport's Phil McNulty

The Chelsea statement continued: "Scolari gets the best out of a talented squad of players and his ambitions and expectations match ours. He was the outstanding choice.

"Out of respect for his current role and to ensure minimum disruption to this work there will be no further comment from Chelsea nor from Felipe about his new role until his employment with us commences."

Scolari has long been the nemesis of English football as he was in charge of both Brazil and Portugal when they ended England's chances in the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004 respectively.

Paulo Ferreira said he would be happy to see Scolari at Chelsea

His reputation led him to be considered for the England manager's job in 2006 but he was reportedly put off the role because of fears of media intrusion.

However, with his contract with the Portuguese Football Federation set to expire on 29 June - the date of the Euro 2008 final - he has taken the opportunity to try his hand at management in the Premier League.

The former defender has never managed a European club but has won the Copa Libertadores - South America's equivalent of the Champions League - with Brazilian clubs Gremio and Palmeiras.

He has also won a Brazilian championship (Gremio) in 1996, three Brazilian cups and three South Rio Grande championships.

LUIZ FELIPE SCOLARI FACTFILE

1948: Born Passo Fundo, Rio Grande do Sul, November 9

2001: June - Replaces Emerson Leco as Brazil coach

2002: May/June - Brazil win the World Cup for a fifth time

2002: December - Takes over as Portugal manager

2004: Portugal lose to Greece in final of Euro 2004

2006: Pulls out of the running to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager

2006: Leads Portugal to World Cup semi-finals

2007: Linked with England job for a second time but again vows to see out Portugal contract

2008: June - Confirmed as new manager of Chelsea, taking over on 1 July

Speaking before the appointment, Portugal and Chelsea defender Paulo Ferreira said: "We need a good manager and Scolari is a good manager. He can do a good job (at Chelsea) and he will be good for the club."

And former Chelsea player Gavin Peacock believes Scolari, known as 'Big Phil' because of his authoritarian management style, could make the Blues the entertaining team chief executive Peter Kenyon is looking for.

"You can't argue with his record," Peacock told BBC Sport. "If you're looking for someone with charisma and presence in the dressing room, then he is your man.

"His teams play with flair so it fits in with what Chelsea say they have been looking for but the everyday involvement, getting into the players' minds, will take time.

"I suspected he might be lined up when Chelsea signed Jose Bosingwa last month and there was talk of Deco coming to the club."

However, he warned that Scolari's lack of English could make things difficult for the Brazilian.

"My only question mark would be about his level of English. Does he speak it?" said Peacock.

"Someone like the England manager Fabio Capello didn't speak it but he had time to learn and he has time between each England gathering, but Scolari will need to get his ideas across every day. It will be a challenge.

"For example, Mourinho, on his first trip away with the team for a pre-season friendly in the United States, sat on the plane with Joe Cole for two hours just getting to know him. Scolari will not be able to do that sort of thing."

The interesting thing for me now is does Cristiano Ronaldo go to him for advice on where he should go?

Match of the Day pundit Alan Shearer

Match of the Day pundit Alan Shearer, meanwhile, speculated on how Scolari's appointment might affect Cristiano Ronaldo's decision whether to stay at Manchester United.

The Portugal winger has been heavily linked with Real Madrid and Shearer told the BBC: "The interesting thing for me now is does Cristiano Ronaldo go to him for advice on where he should go?

"Does he stay in England or go to Spain? I know what Scolari's advice to him might be now!"

Alan Hansen added: "I think its a very good choice. If you're going into that dressing room you've got to have one, a presence - he's got that - and two, a great track record, and he's got that as well.

"He's got the right credentials and he's done fantastically well with Portugal. The big players will find you out in a minute and a half, so it's a great choice."

Scolari's first competitive game as Chelsea manager will be the first Premier League match of the 2008-09 season on the weekend of 16-17 August.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Ha.....................................I opened my envelope today with Big Phil's name on it that I put away three weeks ago. Apparantly, according to the Daily Express, he's been their choice of manager, and approached him as soon as Grant was sacked. Well that was a very closely guarded secret. I love being right. :o

Ha.....................................I opened my envelope today with Big Phil's name on it that I put away three weeks ago. Apparantly, according to the Daily Express, he's been their choice of manager, and approached him as soon as Grant was sacked. Well that was a very closely guarded secret. I love being right. :D

First time for everything i suppose... :o

Bit of a risk if you ask me, Big Phil has never managed a European side.......can see him earning mega bucks for a season before Roman gives him the boot. Big shake up at the bridge this summer.

I believe he's never actually managed a club team and its week in - week out problems which are significantly different than running a National Team. And the adaptation to the EPL style of football will take a while for sure.

Then we come to communication! :o

Should be fun.

Bit of a risk if you ask me, Big Phil has never managed a European side.......can see him earning mega bucks for a season before Roman gives him the boot. Big shake up at the bridge this summer.

I believe he's never actually managed a club team and its week in - week out problems which are significantly different than running a National Team. And the adaptation to the EPL style of football will take a while for sure.

Should be fun.

He has a good track record Brazillian club management, although I agree he may take a little time t settle in. I don't think the Chelsea fans will be too dissapointed with the appointment, as he is one of the most desired coaches/managers at present.

Should be fun.

He has a good track record Brazillian club management, although I agree he may take a little time t settle in. I don't think the Chelsea fans will be too dissapointed with the appointment, as he is one of the most desired coaches/managers at present.

Didn't he turn down the England nationa job claiming too much press intrusion ?? Does he think he's in for a quiet life going to Chelsea ? :D