Another Bar Question - Sorry!

Super Hans

Cheap Charlie’s

Sukhumvit Soi 11, why would you even call?

Cheap Charlies is true to its name, their drinks are definitely cheap Charlie. Located in a little alleyway off soi 11, you will find lots of farangs and some daek inters sitting at the little wooden stall on the few chairs they have getting sloshed off cheap cocktails. Even though this place is small, it is established—known even in guidebooks. Why? Cause they sell their beers for B65! Be warned: people usually call it a night after this so-called “pre-game” session. No questions why.

From Bk MAGAZINE :o

The price of beer in Bangkok has come as a bit of a shock - you get very used to paying 50-70 baht in other parts of the country.

Are there any reasonably centrally located bars that cater for the financially challenged?

leo from 7-11, and sit on the sidewalk.

The Newly opened 'Big Mango Bar' on Sukhumvit Soi 4 has pints for 89 Bt (Tiger) and 99 Bt (Heineken). To find it, look for the 7/11 on Soi 4, The Big Mango is down the small sub-soi opposite.

Edited by thecatman

The Newly opened 'Big Mango Bar' on Sukhumvit Soi 4 has pints for 89 Bt (Tiger) and 99 Bt (Heineken). To find it, look for the 7/11 on Soi 4, The Big Mango is down the small sub-soi opposite.

I second that.

Cheap beer, good staff, pool tables, free internet, and some eye candy.

The price of beer in Bangkok has come as a bit of a shock - you get very used to paying 50-70 baht in other parts of the country.

Are there any reasonably centrally located bars that cater for the financially challenged?

Pure hilarity. And they're actually called "pavements".

Thanks. I'd made a mental note to go in there anyway, as I generally quite like bars that are slightly off the beaten track.

Pure hilarity. And they're actually called "pavements".

Chang is cheaper than Leo, and tastier too! :o

Cheap Charlie’s

Sukhumvit Soi 11, why would you even call?

Cheap Charlies is true to its name, their drinks are definitely cheap Charlie. Located in a little alleyway off soi 11, you will find lots of farangs and some daek inters sitting at the little wooden stall on the few chairs they have getting sloshed off cheap cocktails. Even though this place is small, it is established—known even in guidebooks. Why? Cause they sell their beers for B65! Be warned: people usually call it a night after this so-called “pre-game” session. No questions why.

From Bk MAGAZINE :o

nice place to go. The sign at the bar makes it clear that it is a non-BG zone. That, the indian resturants and charlie brown mexican which deliver to your bar stool, and no doof-doof music, makes it a nice place to hang out.

The Huntsman Pub - Landmark Hotel - Sukhumvit - between sois four and six - bangs out draught Heinekin between 15.00 and 21.00 DAILY for just 119 baht a pint. (It was 99 baht just a few weeks ago). Relaxing surroundings and good service.

Not expensive considering the venue.

Absolute 7 bar - Soi 7/1 - Sukhumvit - sells small glasses of draught beer before 19.00PM for 50 baht. Air conditioning and live music from around 18.30!

Am I the only one who thinks Cheap Charlies is an horrendous place to drink?

The place gets packed early on, and you have to stand around clutching your bottle and moving every time a car comes in and out of the soi. Gash!

My tip for cheap drinks is the Bull's Head happy hour, 4-7pm every day, Heineken and Tiger pints at 99b.

Beergarden Soi 7. Singha's at 75 baht a bottle, Chang at 70. They have draft at lower prices too.

Of course, you have to put up with a clientele (both male and female) that makes the bar scene in the Star Wars movie look positively glamorous.

Beergarden Soi 7. Singha's at 75 baht a bottle, Chang at 70. They have draft at lower prices too.

Of course, you have to put up with a clientele (both male and female) that makes the bar scene in the Star Wars movie look positively glamorous.

:o

I've never managed to actually have a drink in there for this very reason.

Am I the only one who thinks Cheap Charlies is an horrendous place to drink?

Possibly mate :o

Its a mission when packed but its not always packed. I like the fact you aren't stuck inside (a dark place as is often the case) - its a good crowd of people largely - no crap music - very casual - there's just something about it which makes it perfect for a casual beer. I like the Bull's Head but its dark, low ceiling and is too "pub-ish" for a few casual one in the early evening if you don't want to feel like you're stuck in the UK.

QUOTE (Doza @ 2008-06-24 23:46:08)

- no crap music -

This cannot be overvalued in Thailand. No crap music means no crap music and it means no crap music turned up so loud that you can't hear someone screaming two feet away.

AGREED. Crap music abounds in the Kingdom and it can spoil a few relaxing beers VERY quickly.

High value on no crap music...

- no crap music -
This cannot be overvalued in Thailand. No crap music means no crap music and it means no crap music turned up so loud that you can't hear someone screaming two feet away.

I popped into one of my local haunts last night - the music is so loud in there I literally had to put my fingers in my ears. Needless to say I also left pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Doza @ 2008-06-24 23:46:08)

- no crap music -

AGREED. Crap music abounds in the Kingdom and it can spoil a few relaxing beers VERY quickly.

High value on no crap music...

I don't particularly mind crap music, so long as it's quiet enough not to be intrusive*. I always think the bar staff say to each other "bar's quite tonight, music needs to be turned up", when it's the loudness that's driving people away in the first place.

*exception made for Hotel California. That should be played with zero volume. And the writer shot.

Agree Soi 7/1 and Soi 8 have resonable prices. Soi 8 Pub is a nice place. I had a lunch meeting for two and regular beverages for less than 300 baht. Clean and tasty.

Stayed after for elbow bending and walked out feeling good for around 600 baht. :D

Soi 5-7 tunnel with cheap Chang and Leo too.

Ilyushin :o

:D

• 1 month later...