What Percentage Of Expats In Thailand

unhappyfarang

Of course, nobody knows for sure. But it would be interesting to know the statistics. I mean, it shouldn't be too hard to find out the approx number of expats in Thailand, number of Thaivisa members, then do the math.

I can't be f***** though - Anybody have a rough idea? OK. I'd say about 5-10 % of expats are users of the forum. Anybody else?

The enrollment numbers, which I think are now over 60,000, include people who are not in Thailand, if they ever were. Nobody knows. I run around Chiang Mai talking to strangers (expats) who seem unaware of ThaiVisa, or only vaguely, inactively aware. The many times it has been asked how many expats are here, the answer is that we do not know.

In contrast, to those of us caught up in the wonderful world of ThaiVisa, we are the world :o

The enrollment numbers, which I think are now over 60,000, include people who are not in Thailand, if they ever were. Nobody knows. I run around Chiang Mai talking to strangers (expats) who seem unaware of ThaiVisa, or only vaguely, inactively aware. The many times it has been asked how many expats are here, the answer is that we do not know.

In contrast, to those of us caught up in the wonderful world of ThaiVisa, we are the world :o

If one uses a strict definition of expat, ie long term employed with work permit/right visa typically on internationally comparable salary and benefit package then the proportion who are members of Thai Visa would be tiny say less than 1%.Why should they be members since they are not interested in visa issues and have other social networks - British Club, RBSC,Chambers of Commerce etc?Some might be interested in current affairs and political issues but censorship prevails here (for reasons I fully understand) so they don't participate.Look at the advertisers and that will tell you all you need to know about the membership.Expats as defined are not interested in polls about their favourite beer etc and similar blue collar type topics.

What percentage of ThaiVisa members actually live in Thailand?

As for the percentage of long term expats in Thailand who are TV members I'd put it at less than 10, probably no more than 5%.

80 to 20... :o

If one uses a strict definition of expat, ie long term employed with work permit/right visa typically on internationally comparable salary and benefit package then ....Expats as defined are not interested in polls about their favourite beer etc and similar blue collar type topics.
I beg to differ. That is not the only definition of expatriate. "Out of your country, long term," is the usual definition. Retirees are expatriates, as are English teachers on 33K per month with a Thai partner. Your definition sounds elitist to me, and I never drove a Lotus Elite. :o

If one uses a strict definition of expat, ie long term employed with work permit/right visa typically on internationally comparable salary and benefit package

Who ever uses this bogus and made up definition? Expat is short for expatriate and means anyone residing long term in a country other than their native one.

If one uses a strict definition of expat, ie long term employed with work permit/right visa typically on internationally comparable salary and benefit package then ....Expats as defined are not interested in polls about their favourite beer etc and similar blue collar type topics.
I beg to differ. That is not the only definition of expatriate. "Out of your country, long term," is the usual definition. Retirees are expatriates, as are English teachers on 33K per month with a Thai partner. Your definition sounds elitist to me, and I never drove a Lotus Elite. :o

I agree the strict definition is not the only one, but I can assure you that in living memory (say the late 1960's) few would quarrel with what I have said.What's changed in Thailand since then is the huge influx of farang who are virtually permanent resident but really don't have a proper reason for being here all the time.Very few countries would allow this and I think foreigners should be very grateful to the Thai Government for its rather flexible approach.I suppose it doesn't really matter how one defines expat but my main point was really just that the vast majority of those who fit the "elitist" definition are unlikely to be members of Thai Visa.

I've been here for 12 years and am an Internet junkie but only just recently started to get involved in TV. Oh, I had seen the site before but paid little attention to it because I thought it was only about immigration issues (as the name, "Thai Visa," suggests). Then a friend told me that he bought a car from an ad he saw on TV. So I jumped on the board and was surprised at the scope and size of the site. I'm afaid you're stuck with me now.

I suspect that people's definitions of ex-pat probably follows the same selection method that people use to define intelligence - in that they select it based on what meets their own personal circumstances.

I agree the strict definition is not the only one, but I can assure you that in living memory (say the late 1960's) few would quarrel with what I have said.What's changed in Thailand since then is the huge influx of farang who are virtually permanent resident but really don't have a proper reason for being here all the time.Very few countries would allow this and I think foreigners should be very grateful to the Thai Government for its rather flexible approach.I suppose it doesn't really matter how one defines expat but my main point was really just that the vast majority of those who fit the "elitist" definition are unlikely to be members of Thai Visa.

Well it seems like it matters to you.

What snobbish toffee-nosed nonsense.

People who feel the term expat has some sort of prestige and kudos, and who try to keep those whom they consider to be riff raff from using it, must be very sad, shallow people.

I beg to differ. That is not the only definition of expatriate. "Out of your country, long term," is the usual definition. Retirees are expatriates, as are English teachers on 33K per month with a Thai partner. Your definition sounds elitist to me, and I never drove a Lotus Elite. :D

what input can one expect from an inexperienced "younghusband" besides something about "ejaculatio praecox" :o

What is the definition of a expat? Do you have to be working to be one? If so what does that make the retired people (besides being old?).

An expat's someone who's been to Pattaya, Patpong and Patong.

Isn't it?

WE HAVE A WINNER! :o

What is the definition of a expat? Do you have to be working to be one? If so what does that make the retired people (besides being old?).

An expat's someone who's been to Pattaya, Patpong and Patong.

Isn't it?

An expat's someone who's been to Pattaya, Patpong, Patong, Played & Paid

LaoPo :o

Edited by LaoPo

I think some of these replies to my original topic are tarred with delusion. Expats regardless of social status, networks, income, interests etc will ALWAYS be viewed as 2nd class citizens by Thailand and her people. Every farang in Thailand is viewed as a guest, although some guests may be more welcome than others.

Whilst farang/expats squabble over social status, Thai people don't care a dam_n -- "up to you".

I've never driven a Lotus elite either :o

Thai people don't care a dam_n -- "up to you".

that my be the case. but some farangs live in Thailand who care a flying fàck whether thai people care, don't care or what they care about.

Expats regardless of social status, networks, income, interests etc will ALWAYS be viewed as 2nd class citizens by Thailand and her people.

Every farang in Thailand is viewed as a guest, although some guests may be more welcome than others.

Your first sentence is nonsense. Your second sentence is not. One out of two ain't bad i guess.

If, when you define being a member of ThaiVisa, you mean having a nickname registered somewhere in the system, even if is is rarely used and has just a handful of posts, then I would say probably about 3-4% of expats are on here in that capacity.

If you mean regular contributors and active members (say, posting at least once a month) then I would say that we're talking about probably 1% at the very most, more likely 0.5% or so. I'm yet to meet an expat in Thailand who, after getting to know each other, it turns out that they just so happen to be a regular poster here. The only active members I've met in real life are due to the forum itslef - e.g. playing for the ThaiVisa football team, and a couple of people who I've introduced to the site since knowing them. Met a very few people who have an old nickname in the system for a couple of questions they needed to ask a few years ago. Many expats seem to have heard of the forum, very few are actually on here though in my experience.