Local Coppers Have Found

monty

In the last week the local Banglamung plod, along with license officers, are doing the rounds of all watering holes on the Darkside (everything East of Sukhumvit).

Several places (6 as of today that I know of) have been busted for the heinous crime of being open after midnight.

Evidently, with the Darkside being outside Pattaya's "entertainment" zone, the closing time is midnight over there.

More remarkably, one of the first bars to get hit last week (at 10 past midnight), has now been ordered closed for 30 days by the Chonburi governor. Which is I think a bit harsh for a first time offender (open 10 minutes late). Usually they would give you a fine and a stern warning that next infraction will result in a fine + closure!

If they slap a 30 day closure on the other places as well, the Darkside will be a quit place for the next month...

It will definitely make me feel utterly and completely safe now that the BIB are giving priority to the serious crimes on the Darkside.

Luckily they are not waisting too much of their precious time on petty offenses such as robbery, house invasions and stabbings.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last week the local Banglamung plod, along with license officers, are doing the rounds of all watering holes on the Darkside (everything East of Sukhumvit).

Several places (6 as of today that I know of) have been busted for the heinous crime of being open after midnight.

Evidently, with the Darkside being outside Pattaya's "entertainment" zone, the closing time is midnight over there.

More remarkably, one of the first bars to get hit last week (at 10 past midnight), has now been ordered closed for 30 days by the Chonburi governor. Which is I think a bit harsh for a first time offender (open 10 minutes late). Usually they would give you a fine and a stern warning that next infraction will result in a fine + closure!

If they slap a 30 day closure on the other places as well, the Darkside will be a quit place for the next month...

It will definitely make me feel utterly and completely safe now that the BIB are giving priority to the serious crimes on the Darkside.

Luckily they are not waisting too much of their precious time on petty offenses such as robbery, house invasions and stabbings.

the same thing has happened to 2 bars in Wongamat, Naklua. TJ's and Pen bar. Apparently, there are different types of drink licences. One only allows serving alcohol till midnight, the other allows later, not sure till when, but if have customers, stay open till 6 am.

they have both been closed for 1 month. The girls are wondering around, hoping to pick up a customer.

I think a payment would have sorted it, but it was too much.

If the law says 12 then 12 it is. Most of the bar owners on the dark side are paying smaller rent they should move to the sexy side and pay the rent for an entertainment zone. I have noticed most of the bar owners on the dark side are Farangs and some work in their bars probably without work permits, so they are lucky to only be closed not shown the door. This is Thai country we should respect their laws and culture if you don't like it bye bye.

the same thing has happened to 2 bars in Wongamat, Naklua. TJ's and Pen bar. Apparently, there are different types of drink licences. One only allows serving alcohol till midnight, the other allows later, not sure till when, but if have customers, stay open till 6 am.

they have both been closed for 1 month. The girls are wondering around, hoping to pick up a customer.

I think a payment would have sorted it, but it was too much.

Regarding the 'darkside' Some of the bars around Mabprachan lake pay the boys in brown, so are immune to persecution. Some bars have decided it is not worth paying them, and close at 1 am.

But, if they have it in for you, they will find something else. playing Thai music has been used as an excuse to prosecute.

We seem to have thieves on both sides of the law here. :o

I know of 3 bars that been also been done for Music, being fined between, 30-50,000 baht

Me too. I have also heard of Thai CD's being planted amongst the farang CD's, when the owner has insisted it was not his and was never in his collection. He was fined a huge sum. his cashier, GF, was arrested and held, till payment was made.

They tried this again recently. I was there. fortunately, a long standing ex-pat was in the bar. he spoke to them sternly, saying he had police friends in high places. They quickly departed.

I was in The Terrace at about 12.30 on the night in question when a mini bus, plus two trucks pulled up and disgorged a huge motley collection of cops - some in uniform, some half uniform and some in civilian clothes. There must have been at least 20 of them.

The old hag who runs the place immediately disappeared, and the rest were left to argue the toss with the cops who were all shouting at all the girls and asking for their ID's. The farang customers were left alone to drink. Then after 10 minutes one of the cops screamed at the girls to "check bins".

The banter continued backwards and forwards for another ten minutes. but I didn't see any money change hands. Then they screamed at the girls to turn off the lights at the front, and finally departed, leaving me and another customer to continue drinking, whereupon the management bought us a drink on the house.

The 'crime' was opening after 12 but I don't know if this is the bar Monty was referring to. More likely to have been Sammy's which was shut up tight when I passed at 1 ish.

Yep Mobi, that was one of the bars.

In the scuffle they took along a girl to the police station. Charges for opening late have been filed.

The two others are Da and Rimco, where the cashier of the latter was deeply psychologically impressed by being incarcerated for the night, never having been on the wrong side of the law :o

Guess Sammy is playing safe :D (so am I, I had the feeling it wasn't going to stay with Soi Khao Talo alone, where I happened to be present at a bust exactly as you describe above!)

I was in the Terrace too, that night. The 'hag' as you so aptly describe it, ran out with the cash box. She nearly had a fit.

p.s. I must know you, if you are a regular there.

It was the first time I had been there in ages - don't like the place much.

I was looking for a night cap, and most of my regular haunts were closed - now I know why. :o

If the law says 12 then 12 it is. Most of the bar owners on the dark side are paying smaller rent they should move to the sexy side and pay the rent for an entertainment zone. I have noticed most of the bar owners on the dark side are Farangs and some work in their bars probably without work permits, so they are lucky to only be closed not shown the door. This is Thai country we should respect their laws and culture if you don't like it bye bye.

Well said

Let's hear it for Peter Bigmouth, hip hip :o

It was the first time I had been there in ages - don't like the place much.

I was looking for a night cap, and most of my regular haunts were closed - now I know why. :o

It was an inevitability I reckon, they have suckled on this cash-cow on the 'sexy-side' so why not try a dark-side shakedown.

"Hey Somchai, we need to make this look official so wash your brothers pickup before we use it, eh? And I see your cousins are in town so if they are not busy, loan them some dark jackets and they can come along too but tell 'em not to smile. We're supposed to be enforcing the law here. Oh yeah, bring a walkie-talkie, makes us look real."

My nightcap, Blantons with 1 ice cube, brought to me in the hammock on the patio by the wife. No need to drive about looking for a nightcap but sometimes she has a problem helping me out of the hammock after the second one.

Regarding the 'darkside' Some of the bars around Mabprachan lake pay the boys in brown, so are immune to persecution. Some bars have decided it is not worth paying them, and close at 1 am.

But, if they have it in for you, they will find something else. playing Thai music has been used as an excuse to prosecute.

We seem to have thieves on both sides of the law here. :o

A number of the bars listed pay the boys, one has a very special "arrangement" with the BIB. :D

The Law is the Law, suppose some bar owners are just stupid.

Certainly looks like it.

If you have not made the days profits before midnight over the dark side, think you have a hobby not a business, Looks like loads of hobbies to me.

Edited by plasticpig

"The Law is the Law" .. oh, come on, give me a break, not in Thailand it ain't, and you claim to have been here long enough, you should know that.

So you got closed down then, :o

I think bar owners who think they can do just as they please are stupid.

they forget they are in Thailand, the thais make the rules not mr Falang.

The police can, and do enforce the law as of when the like.

i know this after beeing here for a long time. :D

Thats why i dont have or need a bar. to much aggro.

Edited by plasticpig

bars and culture. :o

I got a very interesting reaction from a local bar owner today when I was telling him about the visits from the BIB. He choked so much I thought we had put bad milk in his cappuccino.

It seems the owner of one of the bars raided had told him about a week ago to be carefull as the BIB were going around the lake checking bars this week.

Seems he did not follow his own advice.

The Law is the Law,
The police can, and do enforce the law as of when the like.

QED :D

Sorry mate a bit of a typo error. B)

The police can, and do enforce the Law, as of when they like.

Last week it was not having a crash helmet on whilst riding a motor bike.

this weeks its Foolhardy bar owners on the dark side open after hours.

For the Thai police its, Up To Them. Not you. TIT. :D

But just for you I think the law is an, Ass some times in Thailand.

I obey the law but don't think its right sometimes. :D

Just out of curiosity how much money have they lost closing for thirty days.

Compared to revenue gained after 12 o'clock. for the same period.

Just a guess think about 15 -1, ratio what you think.

What does it cost to run a double shop house style bar over the dark side?

Rent, Wages, Water Electric., (bribes) , sorry they forgot that one. :D:D:D

:o

Edited by plasticpig

Are you saying all the money is earned in one hour after midnight.

When the places are open at 1oclock in the afternoon. Dont think so.

Having a lot of people in a bar for a short period of time, does not equal loads of money.

Just look at the asshol_e quiz leagues in pattaya, I have watched them nurse a bottle of water for two hours, then piss off straight at the end of the game, never by one beer.

Plus if people are dropping in at midnight they have already got fed and watered elsewhere probably in pattaya.

Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

Edited by plasticpig

Ok, yes we all love to do that now and again.

And this will hurt them a lot. (bars can’t afford to <deleted>-up like this)

But I get the feeling if the bars had toned it all down at mid night, turned a few lights off, music off, stopped the girls from parading it might be a bit different, who knows.

I for one remember when it was all full on, at what ever time you wanted, police never bothered, sad that day has gone.

Was not referring to any particular bar. :o