Fruit Growing

ray23

I have heard that alvocados are grown in the Chaing Ria area. I wonder if things such alvocados, peaches. grapefruit and grapes can be gron in Issan I currently live in Udon. Thee seem like expensive items and may well be worth creatin orchards.

Any ideas?

Ray.

I have heard that alvocados are grown in the Chaing Ria area. I wonder if things such alvocados, peaches. grapefruit and grapes can be gron in Issan I currently live in Udon. Thee seem like expensive items and may well be worth creatin orchards.

Any ideas?

Ray.

Ray, avocados are as cheap as chips here in Chiangmai - they are grown by the hilltribe folk and need cold weather and high altitudes to do well. The other fruits are usually imported from China, down the Mehkong. The Thai avocados are very large but really quite tasteless when compared with the imported variety. I used to live in Sakhon Nakhon and tried to grow fruit and it was a disaster - too dry and too hot. Good luck !

Hate to disagree with you there peter but I live on Koh Phangan and we are growing avocado trees with absolutely no problem (and they have produced fruit). Avocadoes do not have a chilling requirement like peaches, apples and pears.

Grapefruits like it hot, they have similar requirements to lemons and limes. My husband and I are looking into growing grapefruits and lemons.

We will be selling locally as the Chiang Mai avos don't reach this far south too often. So, you might consider what your local market is and what people would be interested in.

sbk,

Do you have the round shaped avacados or the pear shaped ones? Here in Chiangrai I've only seen avacados at Mae Sai at the Burmese border and they have both kinds. It seems like the season starts about in October at least that is when I first started noticing them. My wife (Thai person) had never seen them and was curious when I showed great interest. She doesn't like them much...says they are slimey...but she says they are OK when I make a spicey salsa sauce with them but will only taste a little bit even then.

I have a neighbor (Netherlander) who has a lemon tree. I haven't tasted one yet because it is just starting to produce. Should I try to find where he got his tree and let youi know?

I originally came from the Palm Springs area, of California. Grapefriuit and lemon are plentiful as well as grapes of different varieties.That is if anything an even hotter and drier climate then we have here. We also had very good luck with strawberries.

I have a visit comeing from the States this year, anyone know what the restrictions are on seedlines ( I wonder how you spell that?)

Ray.

I have a lemon tree growing, thanks! If you are interested in growing lemons they do come true from seed (albeit slow), alternatively you could air layer a branch and grow your own.

Our avos produced fruit about the same time, October, we got our trees from Mae Sot in Tak. We are now growing more trees from the seeds and when they are bigger will graft branches from the fruiting trees onto the seedlings (avos do not come true from seed and need to be grafted onto the stronger rootstock in order to get fruit).

Don't know much about farming etc but have done a bit of research on fruits and veggies!

sbk,

Are your avos round or pear shape? How do you germinate your seeds? I've gardened alot and had good success with most things but avos and potatoes have never worked well for me. Before coming to Thailand avos were only grown as house plants where I lived (in Washington State (USA)) and I could never get them to sprout. Where did you get the fruiting plant(s) that you are using for grafting?

Dugdig

We bought our trees from farmers outside the Agriculture research center in Mae Sot in Tak. I would suspect it wouldn't be hard to find grafted trees in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai either. We made sure that they had been grafted. Germinating the seeds has been more than easy; soak the seed overnight, put the broad side down in soil (makes a stronger root system than water) and keep it well watered. Ours has sprouted within a few weeks. And we have had nearly 100% sprouting.

Our fruits are varied, some are pear shaped and some are quite round. We read it is better to have different varieties, it makes it easier for them to cross-pollinate.

We bought our trees from farmers outside the Agriculture research center in Mae Sot in Tak. I would suspect it wouldn't be hard to find grafted trees in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai either. We made sure that they had been grafted. Germinating the seeds has been more than easy; soak the seed overnight, put the broad side down in soil (makes a stronger root system than water) and keep it well watered. Ours has sprouted within a few weeks. And we have had nearly 100% sprouting.

Our fruits are varied, some are pear shaped and some are quite round. We read it is better to have different varieties, it makes it easier for them to cross-pollinate.

RamdomChances, I was looking so forward to your link, but it does not seem to work for me.

I live in orange, lemon avocado paradice, So Cal, but much wish to grow these

trees once in LOS. Wonder if Ko Samui does well with any of these types.

Love avocado sandwiches.

I live about 50km south west of Khampaeng Phet on the opposite side of the country to Issan and I enjoy cold melon from the fridge at breakfast.

Today my wife pointed out that she had planted some melon seeds and we now have 1 melon growing.

I think she just put the seeds in the ground and watered them.

I am looking forward to trying it when it grows to a good size.

sendbaht, I am in Phangan and we have had good success with our avos and (sole!) lemon tree. Next year when I go home I will bring some grapefruits back and grow those from seed as well. It would be faster from a tree but, oh well, I am here for the long run so a few extra years hardly matters. Oranges here seem to be mainly tangerines, haven't seen many of the "florida type" oranges, but those would be worth a try too. I, too, am growing cantaloupes from seed from a cantaloupe I bought at the Tesco Lotus in Samui. Here's hoping they don't get flooded away!

Even though this si the Isaan forum and no one has mentioned Isaan on this thread, I'd be mighty cautious about trying to make any kind of agricultural living in Isaan!

Us Isaaners are not exculsive folk and welcome input from one and all ! :D Especially if it is on the joys and vagaries of putting plants in the earth to grow (hopefully!).

As for making an agricultural living here, there or anywhere, I'd urge a lot of caution and a desire to put more back into the soil than you take out, before embarking on such a gamble. It's a way of life, different to any other profession, which is why it normally confounds conventional economic analysis.

As for interesting fruits to try in Isaan, i've seen a few people trying passion fruit ("sao-arot" (Thai) or "mak gatoklok" (Lao) ) with fairly promising results, and reckon it could be a top crop in the future. Somebody I know in Sakhon Nakhon grows it to make wine and has now started distilling it too into a pasion fruit schnapps. not a bad drop. However, I reckon it's best eaten fresh or squeezed and mixed with a bit of syrup/salt for breakfast. :o

Absolutely plachon, I think most people who look to agriculture (hopefully!) do so because they enjoy working with the earth, growing things. I certainly do, I really enjoy gardening, edible or ornamental, not because I want to make a living out of it but because it makes me feel alive!

• 2 months later...
sendbaht, I am in Phangan and we have had good success with our avos and (sole!) lemon tree. Next year when I go home I will bring some grapefruits back and grow those from seed as well. It would be faster from a tree but, oh well, I am here for the long run so a few extra years hardly matters.  Oranges here seem to be mainly tangerines, haven't seen many of the "florida type" oranges, but those would be worth a try too. I, too, am growing cantaloupes from seed from a cantaloupe I bought at the Tesco Lotus in Samui. Here's hoping they don't get flooded away!

Hello SBK, Im in Texas reading the fruit messages and I was interested in bringing some of the Star Ruby varieties to the Ban Thaen farm area later this year. Is there any problem bringing the stock to Thailand as far as agricultural insect inspections? Haven't had any problem sending seed varieties but haven't had good luck with bulbs from Holland. Yes, Ain't it great to get up and drink a good cup of Aribica and then go to the farm. By the way currenty growing Pomellos (Tong Dee) & (Nam Phung) in this O Top Area less than one year and already bearing fruit. The papayas do well also but have black spot and the university is working on replacement with a clone. Fak Thong do well here as well as chilies,squash and okra,string beans, long beans,roses,garlic,shallots,longans,bananas,Tamarinds,corn,Mangos and you name it about the ornamentals ...Just set up the irrigation. Love raising fish especially Tap Thim and Pla Nin or Tipila...Aloy!!!! Sap!!!Went to Nam Now and they have some Macadamia plants or trees as well as avacados and coffee. Trying on my place.. I think coffee will be allright. We grow our own Khowneeo an Khow Jow as well as mill it. Raise a few hogs but need grain and hay for cattle or silage..Haven't started that yet..

Hey Ray, I've got connections to Issarn too. I planted two avacado seeds here in Surin and they are growing. I ate them in Cali then put them in a plastic bag with a bit of water and tissue and then flew here. They sprouted on the way. I planted them and bout look okay for about one year. On is short and the other is six feet tall. They say it takes three years to bear fruit. I do water them everyday. Right now they are just a novelty as I just wanted to see if the would grow. Avacadoes are expensive in Bangkok with prices ranging from say 40 to 120 baht per fruit during the year.

I read somewhere on the net that Christian missionaries brought them here a long time ago but they didn't catch on. The local people didn't like the taste. the world is changing so there should be more demand for them in the future.

Anyhow as I said I have two avacado trees growing in Surin. They require regular water but so far so good. If they don't bear fruit I'll at least get some shade out of them if they keep growing the way they are.

As for peaches I would think they would be a bit harder but some people believe with the right attention you can grow any kind of fruit in all climates.

The next time I head back overseas I'd like to get some grapefruit seeds to try out or maybe something like dates or figs but they might not due well with all this rain in the rainy season.

An old Aussie avocado grower told me one of his secrets for getting avocado trees to fruit quicker. A lot of the soil I’ve seen in Issan might benefit from his methods.

He used a post hole digger to dig a nice deep hole. He filled the hole with cow manure. Then he placed about 6 inches of soil on top of the manure before placing the seedlings in the hole.

He claimed by the time the avocado roots grew down to the manure, it had lost all its heat and the trees had a nice supply of rich fertilizer to allow then to grow faster. He said this method allowed his trees to bear fruit up to 2 years quicker.

NL

An old Aussie avocado grower told me one of his secrets for getting avocado trees to fruit quicker. A lot of the soil I’ve seen in Issan might benefit from his methods.

He used a post hole digger to dig a nice deep hole. He filled the hole with cow manure. Then he placed about 6 inches of soil on top of the manure before placing the seedlings in the hole.

He claimed by the time the avocado roots grew down to the manure, it had lost all its heat and the trees had a nice supply of rich fertilizer to allow then to grow faster. He said this method allowed his trees to bear fruit up to 2 years quicker.

NL

To plant fruit trees in Isaan soil is sometimes very troublesome if the clay in the soil kills the tree :o . The above cow manure treatment is the best in my experience. PS:The Thais dont like to dig deep holes, do it the Aussie way, you will be rewarded.

I agree about the deep holes for growing trees. The clay soil gets like concrete later in the dry season and the tree will wilt and die if the hole is not large enough. After placing the tree and adding cow manure, rice straw and leaves should also help to keep the soil from hardening again. My wife and I have also found that almost all trees grow faster when we use food compost - garbage from leftover or spoiled food. The last couple of years the farm supply stores have been selling a solution called EM (enhancing microorganisms) which introduces helpful bacteria and fungi into the soil. That also helps break down all the straw, manure, food garbage, etc. that you might add.

Bryan

I agree about the deep holes for growing trees. The clay soil gets like concrete later in the dry season and the tree will wilt and die if the hole is not large enough. After placing the tree and adding cow manure, rice straw and leaves should also help to keep the soil from hardening again. My wife and I have also found that almost all trees grow faster when we use food compost - garbage from leftover or spoiled food. The last couple of years the farm supply stores have been selling a solution called EM (enhancing microorganisms) which introduces helpful bacteria and fungi into the soil. That also helps break down all the straw, manure, food garbage, etc. that you might add.

I invite you for a beer :o if you can give me some names and locations of EM farm supply stores in Isaan. I need this also for my 500 m2 grass.

I invite you for a beer :o if you can give me some names and locations of EM farm supply stores in Isaan. I need this also for my 500 m2 grass.

I am in Amphur Huai Phung in Kalasin Province. The farm supply store in our town usually carries it for about 60B/liter - and the mollasses that is supposed to be mixed with it. If you still can't locate a source where you are let me know.

Interesting stuff, that EM. It smells something like homemade wine. It's supposd to be good for lots of things, like reducing odors from septic tanks. I just use it for composting.

I'll take you up on that offer of a beer sometime.

Bryan

I am in Amphur Huai Phung in Kalasin Province. The farm supply store in our town usually carries it for about 60B/liter - and the mollasses that is supposed to be mixed with it. If you still can't locate a source where you are let me know.

Interesting stuff, that EM. It smells something like homemade wine. It's supposd to be good for lots of things, like reducing odors from septic tanks. I just use it for composting.

I'll take you up on that offer of a beer sometime.

Bryan

Bryan

Thanks a lot for your help. I need this EM because the soil in my place has more than 30 % clay. I planted grass and trees and flowers around my swimming pool but the manure treatment helps only little.

I am in Phanomprai, 60 km east of Roi et. I will come to Huai Phung soon.

Just for the record, EM = Effective Micro-organisms, although "enhancing" is a pretty accurate description of their value too. Cannisters are now commonly sold at agricultural merchants in most towns of any size, and once you've bought one, some molasses and a couple of big 50 L bins, you can carry on producing the stff ad infinitum witha bit of dilligence. Get your good wife to translate the instructions on the back of the can and you're away.

Plenty of uses and advocates nowadays, although never met anyone who has done a controlled experiment on their garden. anyone reading this tried a with/without or even better, different concentration trial on their veg patch? Interested to hear details.