Bring Bike On Plane To Los

Beanster1

Does anyone have any experience with bringing a bicycle to Thailand?

The bike will be new (but I could always ride it to look used :o )and I'll be bringing it to race some triathons here over the next few months. It's quite an expensive bike and I was wondering if there is anything special I could do to not attract the attention of some corrupt customs official who'll want to charge me an arm and a leg in duty.

A regular bike box vs a proper bike case / bag etc which would be better in terms of walking straight through customs?

THe only reason I'm bring this particular bike is it is unavailiable in Thailand.

I searched the forum and found some related stuff, but it was a little old. I've heard customs is getting stricter!

Also does anyoe think there's a difference between the officials in Bangkok versus Chiang Mai?

Thanks for your help.

Beanster

:D

I have brought 2 bikes into Thailand in bike bags and had no problems. A friend of mine brought one last month and also had no problems. Personally i would never fly my bike in anything other than a dedicated bike bag.

Good luck,

Nidge

I agree with nidge.

You shouldn't have any problems coming in on a flight but if you value your bike, and it sounds a good'un, then make sure it's packed in the most secure bike box you can lay your hands on.

The soft skin ones aren't very good imo as they don't offer alot of protection when a 30 kilo case is thrown on top by a thoughtless baggage handler.

I've brought bicycles in twice and out once. No problem. Used both a plastic hard case as well as the regular cardboard box from the bicycle shop. Make sure you bring some rope to tie up the box in case you can't fit it into the backseat of the taxi. Use lots and lots of padding.

Beware, there will probably be an extra weight/size charge if you fly the budget local airlines.

Good luck with the triathlon.

I just went to a bike dealer in my home town and asked for one of the cardboard cases that their bikes come in. Put my bike in, taped it up and that was that.

The advantage of that is that it doesn't cost a lot, and you just throw the box away in Bangkok (or wherever you end up in Thailand)

Thanks for the replies guys!

Was just a bit worried as a friend brought a bike in and they wanted 20k Baht in duty, but after arguing for an hour ended up paying 1,500B with no receipt

Wonder if Samak has ordered the customs here to try and make up for high oil prices with hitting down on foreigners.

A friend come back from a weekend in Singapore yesterday. Had bought with him three boxes with GNC protein and the customs in Phuket demanded 6k in duty!

The once very liberal customs in Thailand have sure made a roundabout. :o

Hi,

Does anybody know if they check that you have the bike with you on leaving the country. :o

Regards

Mr Conrad

I was never checked or asked coming in or going out. Have brought in lots and lots of equipments, bicycles, gears, laptops, sports, electronics and so on.

But, then again with new reports of aggressive customs, who knows what they'll do next.

Thailand is a major bicycle touring destination so I'm sure BKK customs see plenty of foreigners lugging bicycles into the country. I've never heard of one reporting a customs tax till now.