Consumer's Corner

thaigene2

Yup, someone has to do this. (maybe somebody did before and I missed it).

Million things to talk about here. I'll start with this: Where can I get a GOOD extension cord/lead that won't fry and melt every 90 days? Clearly no safety control standards for these things. I've seen the heavy-duty ones Tesco has (around 800 Baht) but they are designed for outdoor use. Constructive posts would be usefull here rather than just a whinge-fest, but hey..I'm not into censorship so have your say! :o

If they are melting every 90 days there is a good reason. What are you running off off it? How many things are plugged in at once? Lets just imagine here that you have a toaster, electric wok and a kettle running at the same time. Thats a lot of watts and amps. These extensions are not designed to take it. Thus causing them to melt and break. Lets just say. If you are doing the above. STOP NOW. You are creating a fire hazard. I have an extension lead which was way less than 800 baht. I've had this for nearly 2 years. Sounds like it could be an overload problem. Or the standard that you have are just not up to it. I think its probably the first. Try spending an extra 100 baht the next time you prchase one. Let me know if i can help. :o

As Jockstar says you obviously have something plugged into an extension cord that should not be. In 35 years I have never melted a cord.

Advise would be to run more cords from wall outlets if you have more than one item plugged into it. But seriously check the wattage of the items you are using. It is obviously much too much or something else is defective.

As an electrician it does sound to me as if you are trying to create a unsafe condition by overloading your cord. If you grab any cord and it is warm you are probably overloading it. Using a surge supressor as a giant multitap is not realy satisfactory either because cheap supressors may not actually trip or open as they are supposed to.

If you can easily determine which outlets are supplied by which breaker or safety switch or fuse. By opening the switch and seeing which outlet "goes out". You can spread out your electrical load insted of overloading one circuit which makes the wire inside the wall warm where you can not feel it and determine if it is overloaded.

Most cords have the wire size printed on the side, I am talking about the round cords not the ones that look like speaker cord or zip wire. You are looking for something like 14/3 not 18/3 the first number refers to the size of the wire and the second is the numbers 2 for ungrounded and 3 for grounded connections.

Hope that helps :o

Noel

Yup, someone has to do this. (maybe somebody did before and I missed it).

Million things to talk about here. I'll start with this: Where can I get a GOOD extension cord/lead that won't fry and melt every 90 days? Clearly no safety control standards for these things. I've seen the heavy-duty ones Tesco has (around 800 Baht) but they are designed for outdoor use. Constructive posts would be usefull here rather than just a whinge-fest, but hey..I'm not into censorship so have your say!  :o

I use many extension leads - most from Tesco or Big C, all less than 100 baht! Some of them look like they have a safety cut-off, but it's just an option - under the plastic is nothing!

I use an electric grill and rice cooker via an extension. Not had a problem with it. You must surely be using a lot of power to "melt" it.

I had the same problem with the cheap round roll-in extension leads, sparking, socket melting, wire heating from just a single electric pan in use.

The 'new generation' leads, a row of sockets with integrated exchangable fuse and a proper cord are much better.

A word of warning: If you regularly use high wattage appliances, have the wiring in your place checked. Do not assume that it is designed or installed to standards you might be used to from the US or Europe.

My condo was probably state-of-the-art for semi-luxury, 10 or 15 years ago in Thailand. It only has one single (not duplex) outlet in each room. The main box in the 1,260 square foot condo contains breakers for only three circuits: one thirty amp for the air con, and two 10 amp circuits (all at 240 volts).

Do the math. Add up the WATTS that you'll be running on that circuit, and divide by 220 (allowing for some voltage losses). If the answer is more than the amps on the breaker switch, you're going to trip the breaker. For your extension cords, if they're even worth 100 baht at Tesco, there should be legends showing the allowable watts or amperage. Some of mine have fuses, and one of the fuses died during a power surge. If yours don't have fuses, they overheat.

Even a lot of middle-class Thais don't have the high wattage appliances that we Westerners take for granted, like a water heater. Some cook by gas cylinder, not by hotplate. Even a big TV adds up the wattage, and so do all the fans.

In America all wall outlets are mounted about 10"-12" from the floor, but in Thailand the outlets are mounted about chest level. I always wondered why and then thought maybe it was to reduce the chance of electric shock when a room is flooded. Still wondering.

In America all wall outlets are mounted about 10"-12" from the floor, but in Thailand the outlets are mounted about chest level. I always wondered why and then thought maybe it was to reduce the chance of electric shock when a room is flooded. Still wondering.

Perhaps because most Thai remove the plug when not in use? Or less wire needed? Or out of reach of children? Or, as you mentioned, above the flood level. Also watch how floors and lower walls are cleaned with wet cloth and you might not want to have an outlet nearby.